[OBSOLETE 1.1.6 5/25/16] Big Talker - Talk when events occur

I’ve been using Big Talker with Lannouncer for a while w/o issue. Today I connected a pr of Samsung R1’s today. They are showing up in ST but there no option to select them in the BigTalker app. What am I missing?

It sounds like you are running BigTalker in speechSynthesis mode (selected in-app when initially configuring BigTalker). LanNouncer requires speechSynthesis mode. I believe the Samsung R6 is a musicPlayer device in SmartThings and thus BigTalker needs to be in musicPlayer mode for it to show up. You can install another instance of BigTalker from the in-app marketplace ( Marketplace > SmartApps > My Apps > Big Talker ) and choose musicPlayer. This install will be separate from the already installed instance but will allow you to configure musicPlayer devices.

1 Like

You’re exactly right. Thanks

1 Like

This is absolutely an amazing app and device handler configuration! Job well done!

2 Likes

I have installed all of the components as listed at the top of this thread.

The issue I am having is that Big Talker does not see my LANnouncer device.

The LANnouncer Device I created does communicate with my android phone.

I can have it chime, speak, strobe ect. from the Device itself

I also have this working with VLC things and Big Talker, but I want it to work with my android phone.

Anyone know why Big Talker is not seeing my LANnouncer device?

It sounds like you are running BigTalker in musicPlayer mode (selected in-app when initially configuring BigTalker). LanNouncer requires speechSynthesis mode. If you have other speech devices configured in musicPlayer mode, you can install another instance of BigTalker from the in-app marketplace ( Marketplace > SmartApps > My Apps > Big Talker ) and choose speechSynthesis. This install will be separate from the already installed instance but will allow you to configure speechSynthesis devices such as LANNouncer. (You can also remove the app and add it back and select speechSynthesis mode to configure for usage with LANNouncer if you don not want more than one instance)

Hello

Is Big Talker compatible with Bose SoundTouch devices?

Is there a way I can have use Big Talker on more than one Echo at a time and configure it so some events are spoken on one Echo and other events are spoken on another Echo? I realize I would need to use a different Android device running Lannouncer for each Echo.

BTW, I love this app.

Thanks in advance for the help.

If the Bose SoundTouch device can be added into SmartThings as a musicPlayer or speechSynthesis device and supports the respective command to play a remote mp3 file or convert text to speech then yes. I do not know anything about this specific device though. Search the SmartThings community for a Device Handler for this device to integrate it.

BigTalker can indeed use multiple speakers.
In it’s current form, you can have a default speech device selected and then for each set of event types (switch, motion, contact, etc) you can configure that event to use a custom set of speech devices different than the selected default.
You can also install another instance of BigTalker if you need to support both musicPlayer type devices and speechDevice type devices (each instance would handle speakers that are either one type or the other). Or you can install another instance of BigTalker to add more event handlers (another set of 3 switch handlers, motion handlers, etc) and speaker customizations.

1 Like

For some reason, everytime an event occurs that causes bigtalker to talk, my sonos resumes a playlist that I was not listening too. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Please try replacing your code for BigTalker with 1.1.9a2.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/development/smartapps/rayzurbock/big-talker-dev.src/big-talker-dev.groovy

Ok, testing now. Thanks!

1 Like

Can’t get this to work at all and Everytime I open the smart app it asks me to configure as though it’s forgotten what I configured on set up
I’ve probably done something wrong with LANANOUNCER as well
Stumped again
God I must be thick

When you open the app are you opening through “automations” or the “marketplace” from your description it sounds like you might be installing multiple instances of the app. Once installed, always go through automations unless you want a second instance.

1 Like

I am having issues with the LANnouncer and Big Talker, I installed the device but when I want to put the LANnouncer device on the “talk with these text-to-speach devices” it doesnt show there, I am not sure what I am doing wrong but the device looks like everything is ok the same with big talker, any suggestions?

It sounds like you are running BigTalker in musicPlayer mode (selected in-app when initially configuring BigTalker). LANNouncer requires speechSynthesis mode. If you have other speech devices configured in musicPlayer mode, you can install another instance of BigTalker from the in-app marketplace ( Marketplace > SmartApps > My Apps > Big Talker ) and choose speechSynthesis. This install will be separate from the already installed instance but will allow you to configure speechSynthesis devices such as LANNouncer. (You can also remove the app and add it back and select speechSynthesis mode to configure for usage with LANNouncer if you don not want more than one instance)

Is it possible to set a Volume level to a speech synthesis device before “talking” ? I have that option in CoRe and I find it very valuable.

Hi @NRGZ28,

I us CoRe Piston to make Big Talker speak via VLC thing:
1st: set the volume level to XX%
2nd: Say "xxxHello!"
3rd: Set the volume to xx% level.

Ah… so when you set the volume… it stays set ? I dont undertand how you use Core with Bigtalker…