And that’s why I tagged @JDRoberts. This guy is in the know on every-freakin-thing. Thanks JDRoberts.
Not groovy. I know nothing about groovy.
I resolved this issue. I was confusing modes from SHM with the modes controlled by routines (which Big Talker looks at).
This item is not mentioned in the in-app help. Also, I had to replace all instances of “it.displayName” with “it” on my v2 hub.
Here’s a video of my new BigTalker running on my devicetype
It’s already so large I’d prefer not to make it longer.
@rayzurbock, would it make sense to make a new post?
Yes, I’ll do that.
I’ve split one off for discussion of 2.0 development here: https://community.smartthings.com/t/bigtalker-2-0-what-do-you-want/55305.
Once 2.0 is released, I’ll either adjust that one or make a release 2.0 thread.
Thanks. I’ll make a note to fix this.
Odd. The status page within BigTalker should show what is being returned by
it.displayName under the speech devices/custom speech devices and also under each activated device within each event group. It should be the name and/or custom name that you have given your device(s). I am running a v2 hub as well and it does enumerate this properly for me.
Cool. Thanks for the video!
With this post, we should move to the new thread for further BigTalker 1.x.x discussion.
Announcing BigTalker 1.1.7 and new discussion thread:
Discussion thread for BigTalker 2.0 development: https://community.smartthings.com/t/bigtalker-2-0-what-do-you-want/55305
@rayzurbock BigTalker is my favourite app…so pleased you are developing it further! I have so many triggers configured you can rest assured that my wishlist below is derived from some extensive usage. Note sure how easy some of these are to achieve but nevertheless… Keep up the good work…
I’d be interested to learn which one you think are possible, difficult or already on your functionality hit list
- Unlimited Event configuration per device
- ability to store a range of TTS messages per event allowing BT to randomly select different TTS messages per device in order to make the notification experience different each time and make it feel that the house has a personality
- Back up and restore … I’ve been using BT since only version 1.1.6 so have never upgraded but with the extensive range of triggers i have configured I am petrified of a crash or corruption resulting in me having to reconfigure all the events/triggers… ability to save the config elsewhere as backup ?
- Some sort of system check/error log in the app - occasionally BT doesn’t trigger as i am sure this is the ST platform but never entirely sure
- Tannoy function - expand the ‘Talk now’ function to set a preconfigured range of repeatable announcements e.g. ‘Kids dinner is ready’ to save retyping/changing the previous message (noted that V1.1.6 states it needs to be different from the last spoken phrase so this might be difficult)
- I want to get rid of Sonos Notify with Sound … so including big talk to play a music flle would be great … even playing the music file after a TTS announcement would be ideal (minimal delay)
- Queuing, if multiple TTS messages are targeted at the same speaker and they fire at the same time e.g. two doors open then the message to be queued behind one another
- Minimum time between actions - ability to set a minimum time between events
- Ability to delete slots - say slot 2 and the other configs in slot 3, move to fill slot 2 automatically without having to individually delete each config
- Ability to Test play each message after config
- Ability to change/set the volume per event rather than setting globally as a default
- Ability to resume playing music accurately after a message is fired - when i say accurately …resume from point of when TTS message kicked in (or restart the last playing song/album)
once again, keep up the good work , its apps like this that keep my interest in Smartthings
How to donate?
Support the project
This SmartApp is free. Donations to support development efforts are accepted via (non-refundable, no guarantee of service/support):
- Paypal at: rayzur [at] rayzurbock.com
- Square Cash: https://Cash.me/$Lowrance (Debit cards = free, Credit cards charge 3% on top of your donation o $15 is charged as $15.45)
- Square Marketplace at: https://squareup.com/market/brian-lowrance/item/donation-bigtalker
I’d like to speak events from my Google Calendar. Any chance you can do the oauth and poll google calendar?
I just updated. I had to make a change to the code in order to get the app to run.
Line 2865: change “evt.displayName” to “evt.device.name”
I’m using V2.
Excuse me for my ignorance. Fairly new but when in the ide,
I go to My Smart Apps -> Settings and add rayzurbock as owner and SmartThings-BigTalker as the Name. All looks good.
I go to Update From Repository, I choose that repository and check
I then check Publish and then click Execute Update but I receive a 500 error:
Error 500: Internal Server Error
Reference Id b1a17be2-e95d-4009-95d4-196608306397
Date Wed Sep 14 14:56:32 UTC 2016
This is only happening so far for that repository. Am I doing something wrong?
Don’t forget that Branch should be “master” (without the quotes).
I suspect the issue may be that you only need to select the .groovy file (smartapps/rayzurbock/big-talker.src/big-talker.groovy), not the two .png files.
Please try selecting just the .groovy file to update.
can someone point me how to add Samsung R1 wam1500 to marthings and make it work with bigtalker?
I’ve added two Samsung MultiRoom audio devices (R1 & R3) to ST. To save yourself a huge headache, sign each device a static IP on your network. It appears that if the device is given an IP address via DHCP, and should the IP change when the lease is up, it makes the system act weird.
Once you have given each speaker a static IP, walk through the pairing process through the ST app. You may see that even though you only have one speaker, it shows 3 or 4 (goes back to the whole IP thing!). To pick the correct speaker, besides comparing IPs, look for the one that has the status “Stopped” vs “Paused.” Which ever says “Stopped” will be the primary speaker.
At this point, the speaker should pair without an issue. If you do have problems, add all of the speakers that ST finds, then under My Home > Things, simply delete any instances of the speaker that read “Paused.”
Hopefully that helps!
thanks John ,but there was a link to a page to explain how to put the smartapp/IDE handler and also create the device within https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com.
@sam_alian No problem. I tagged you in another one of my posts as well.
Anyhoo, why are you trying to use the IDE to create the device? There is no need for this and it may wind up making the integration more iffy. The R1 is an officially supported speaker. You can add it right from the marketplace through the ST app. There is zero need to use the IDE to install the speaker.
BigTalker, on the other hand, will require the IDE to install the smartapp, but it seems like that piece you got down without an issue.
I’m getting the same error as above and the branch is set to master. I was able to update from 1.1.6 using this method but it seems to be having issues with this one. See images.