SmartThings Community

[OBSOLETE 1.1.6 5/25/16] Big Talker - Talk when events occur

(Dennis Tegenbosch) #109

My Lario HD devices type is “DLNA player”

I am adding it to smartthings by using the MediaRender (connect), in that app it will search for the lario and add it.

(Coolcatiger) #110

It would be great to have feature to announce repeatedly ( with custom time interval) when door is left open for some variable time.

(Bones ) #111

well in my haste i did not read above hopefully with the platform upgrade tomorrow this will work then???

it seems the sonos just doesn’t recognize it is getting a command I setup a time and day to say a phrase just to test it and I can watch in the activity feed of the sonos speaker that big talker dev sent playtextandresume command to kitchen sonos …but the speaker just continues on as if nothing happened…Did I set it up wrong? I setup my kitchen speaker as my default device left check speech device at every 1 min set volume to 50 and talk when in home mode only

(Patrick Musselman) #112

Is it possible to set notifications not based on home mode but for only when one particular person is presence? Reason begin is that I would like my wife to get sonos notifications when certain exterior doors or window contacts opened when she is the only person home but not when another particular person(s) are presence. Thanks!

(Brian S. Lowrance) #113

This error, physicalgraph.device.HubSoapAction.leftShift() is applicable for argument types: (physicalgraph.device.HubSoapAction) values..., looks to me like an issue in the MediaRender deviceType or SmartApp. Basically BigTalker is making the call to play audio and then the rest is handled within the deviceType code, which in your case is the MediaRender deviceType/SmartApp. I do not make calls to physicalgraph.device.HubSoapAction or to physicalgraph at all for that matter. Does the developer of the MediaRender devicetype have a newer version of their DeviceType and/or SmartApp that you can try with? If not, you might want to let them know that you are trying BigTalker with MediaRender and give them this error that you are getting back when the MediaRender devicetype/smartapp attempts to play the audio.

(Brian S. Lowrance) #114

I actually have a SmartApp that someone else wrote and I customized prior to writing BigTalker to do this in my home (Door Left Open). It repeats up to 10 times (configurable); however I haven’t written my own code to do this into BigTalker yet. I intend to add this and door knock announcements when I get some time to devote to it. I’ve been busy with work and family for quite a while and haven’t had the time needed to put into it.

BigTalker 2.0 -- Development
(Brian S. Lowrance) #115

This is likely the problem: SmartThings Text-To-Speech for Sonos (playText) not working?

It looks like SmartThings backend method for converting text to speech in an mp3 audio file and sending that to your hub/device was broken somewhere around Aug 5, 2015.

Does this app work with Amazon Echo?

(Chrisb) #117

No, because there is no TTS (Text To Speech) capability in Echo right now.

A lot of people here (myself included) desperately want this to be added to Echo, but right now there is no method* to get Echo to say a custom phrase at all, let alone have it tie in so tight with ST that it can be a device in ST.

(*Okay, there is a method, but it involves you essentially creating an entire back end running on your own server and setting it up as a “skill” within the Alexa app. So, possible, but extremely involved.)

Edit to add: There’s also another pseudo-method to get notifications on the Echo. You can, with the right software, setup an android tablet as a Text-To-Speech device within SmartThings. Then pair it with Echo as a BT speaker. Again like the above example, it involves some work, but a lot less than developing your own Alexa Skill. And you’re not really using the Echo as anything more than just a speaker in this case.

Sucks! I am leaning to Alexa instead of Sonos. As Alexa can take voice commands and give audio responses. Sonos…just sound.

(Chrisb) #119

Yup, and the Echo really sounds very good as a music speaker too. Works great with IHeartRadio.

I’m using Ubi right now for some voice announcements and I actually paired it to the Echo for the speaker because Echo’s speaker is so much better. But I’m considering getting an older Android Tablet and setting that up with the TTS software (like I indicted above) as I could then also use that tablet for a interface and maybe some other stuff too.

Still working that through.

If I was a betting man, I suspect TTS will come to the Echo at some point. But I just don’t know when.

(Brian S. Lowrance) #120

Release Announcement:

1. Version 1.1.2 Released 10/25/2015 with 2 bug fixes
  • 10/25/2015 - 1.1.1 - BugFix: Corrected issue with Motion 1 announcement custom time restrictions - Broke BigTalker if used
  • 10/25/2015 - 1.1.2 - BugFix: Corrected issue with setting speech volume. Ensure that Volume is not 0; Set to 75 if it is. May have caused phrases to be spoken inaudible.
  • Available here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/master
  1. Version 1.1.1.Beta4 Released 10/25/2015 (Beta Testing Version)
  • 5/31/2015 - 1.1.1.Beta2 - BugFix: Attempting to update speech device current status with .refresh() (currentSpeechDevices*.refresh())
  • 10/25/2015 - 1.1.1.Beta3 - BugFix: Corrected issue with Motion 1 announcement custom time restrictions
  • 10/25/2015 - 1.1.1.Beta4 - BugFix: Corrected issue with setting speech volume. Ensure that Volume is not 0; Set to 75 if it is. May have caused phrases to be spoken inaudible.
  • Beta Available here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/Fix-ResumePlay

(Brian S. Lowrance) #121

Release Announcement:
(I got sick and had some time to work on this project finally):

1. Version 1.1.3 Released 10/26/2015
  • BugFix: Added additional check in Talk() if using MusicPlayer device, currentTrack = null and currentStatus was “playing” then BT would not “resume”, but instead would stop the track, PlayText() and not resume the track.
  • BugFix: Replaced deprecated “refreshAfterSelection” in dynamic pages with replacement “submitOnChange”. This fixes things like TalkNow’s expected operation.
  • Feature Enhancement: Additional logging added in Talk()
  • Available here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/master
  1. Version 1.1.3-Beta5 Released 10/26/2015 (Beta Testing Version)
  • Version Adjustment: Modified from 1.1.1.Beta4 to 1.1.3.Beta5 (Current Master branch = 1.1.3)
  • BugFix: Added additional check in Talk(): if using MusicPlayer device, currentTrack = null and currentStatus was “playing” then BT would not “resume”, but instead would stop the track, PlayText() and not resume the track.
  • BugFix: Replaced deprecated “refreshAfterSelection” in dynamic pages with replacement “submitOnChange”. This fixes things like TalkNow’s expected operation.
  • Feature Enhancement: Additional logging added in Talk()
  • Beta available here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/Fix-ResumePlay

(Anthony S.) #122

Thanks Rayzur…

Could you update this to support the new smartthing github format? (So we can add\update from the IDE directly)

Thanks…

(Brian S. Lowrance) #123

Yes, I intend to submit to the ST GitHub repo.
I enabled my IDE GitHub support last night. I just need to figure it out and make sure that I know what I am doing before submitting to it.

(Binh Ton) #124

@rayzurbock, I use your 1.1.3 release with VLC Thing on Raspberry Pi. It works well for some device state change notification. For example, I have Aeon Minimote button. It announces the button press correctly with the Device name. I try to add 3 door contact sensors to the list. It only notifies 1 sensor correctly with device name. I don’t hear anything from other 2 sensors. I know that the VLC Thing works OK with all contact sensors when using with Sonos Notification smartapp. I like your Big Talker smartapp since it announces the device name. Is there any limitation in device name, name length, or number of device in 1 group?

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #125

The app crashes for me every time – at the same step – during setup. Specifically, when I try to adjust the “ending time” of when speech is allowed.

(Greg) #126

This isn’t happening for me. I just edited my time by a minute to make sure.

(Tony - SmartThings Unpublished Contributor ) #127

I’m using the version available on github – version 1.1.3 beta 5.

I configure to use with Sonos, choose a Sonos speaker; set Check device status every 5 mins; set volume to 35; choose 6 modes in which to talk; set Don’t Talk Before to “6:30 am”, then…

When I click “Don’t talk after”, no time window appears. If I click it again, the entire ST app (iOS) crashes.

Repeated this 4 times.

(Greg) #128

Oh sorry, I’m not on the beta. I’m on 1.1.3