[OBSOLETE 1.1.12 3/13/2017] Big Talker - Talk when events occur

Unfortunately this is a known issue that I do not know how to get around except to advise that talk events not be configured for devices that will likely be in quick succession to each other. ie: Motion Active, Light On when the light is triggered by the motion, etc… I have thought for a while about building a talk queue to prevent this, which would possibly do what you want but it’s not implemented and may be difficult to get done.

I haven’t looked at the Google Home API.
If someone creates a device type handler for SmartThings that exposes it with the musicPlayer or speechSynthesis capability, then we can use it. I’m not sure if that’s possible though not having looked at it’s API.

1 Like

bigtalker - check configuration. phrase is empty for Front Camera Motion Alert

I’m using a momentary switch in one of the switch slots to send a notification to the Lannouncer for the ON event. Nothing in the OFF event.

1 Like

Thanks, if you decide you want to do it, I would be more than happy to test for you, let me know.

2 Likes

Working on resolving this…

1 Like

I have published BigTalker 1.1.12 which resolves this issue.
I’ll adjust the 1.1.11 version to notify users of an updated version once I receive confirmation that it’s working (beyond my own testing which was successful).

2 Likes

Wow that was fast! :rocket:

Thank you!

1 Like

Repo is currently not letting me update to 1.1.12, but can’t wait to try it out.

You can copy/paste the code directly if “Update from Repo” is not working for you for some reason.
Here it is: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/master/smartapps/rayzurbock/big-talker.src/big-talker.groovy

just tried 1.1.12 and no more errors with the ring doorbell pro. Thank you!!

1 Like

Flying the “New Version Available” icon for 1.1.11 now. Sorry folks but the in-app notification bug is somewhat crippling and annoying for many judging by the reports I received about it today. BigTalker 1.1.12 resolves this issue.

More details about this issue can be found here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/issues/5

2 questions, is there a way to set volumes for each speaker I am using. 2. Do you have a default volume set in the app?

There is a default volume that you can set on the “Configure Defaults” page if you are using BigTalker in musicPlayer mode (Sonos, etc).

This is not configurable per speaker. It affects all speakers that are configured for use in the app.
There has been a request to set the volume per event group which I will look into.

The default volume if a default has not been selected on the “Configure Defaults” page is 50%, but only if the speaker reports that it is at less than 50%. If the speaker reports that it is at 50% or above the volume is not adjusted (unless there is a default configured on the “Configure Defaults” page).

That said, when you asked this question I went to double-check and verify before I responded and it seems that I left some testing code in there that sets the “Configure Defaults” default volume behind the scenes to 89% but only if you haven’t configured a default volume on the “Configure Defaults” page. I’ll mark this to be resolved with the next release.

I think that is what I have been experiencing. If you are looking at doing volume per event, is it possible to look at volume per speaker? Here is the case. I want my bedroom volume to be 25% less than all the other speakers, right now I cannot do that. I tried to create a 2nd instance of the app, but I guess the two were conflicting, as messages started to get cut off.

I don’t think I could do per speaker. Not without a lot of code. I’ll need to investigate that possibility.

I could see perhaps doing a global minimum volume though which would let you change it from the current 50% threshold to say 25%. This would keep your bedroom speaker at 25% if it is at it already or above it, but if it’s at 19% it would raise it to 25% to speak and then set it back to 19%. Your Living Room speaker that is at 65% already would just stay at 65%. This would be if your global desired default volume is not set. If your global desired default volume is set and the speaker volume is less than that value then it would be raised to the desired default volume for speaking and then returned to the last known volume for that device.

Regarding the second instance. You could do that and make sure that in the second instance that the bedroom speaker is only used in the second instance (not in the first to prevent the clipping that you mentioned). You would then set the default volume in that instance to 25%.

I like this idea. so if you set to 25 default and I have the speaker itself set to 30 it would stay at 30, is that correct?

So long as the global default volume is not set, yes.

Well, that is exactly what I am looking for. I want to manually set my living room speaker to 50 and bedroom to 35 so if you set the default to 25 that would work perfectly for me, can you please make that possible?

I’ll look into it. ETA up to 3 weeks (I’ll be out for a week and not able to work on it).

I appreciate. I would consider lowering the default to 5, 10 or 15 to give people a little more room to wiggle.