Notify If Door Is Open for X minutes? (2017)

First post. If this is question is inappropriate for this sub forum please forgive.

Have a garage door sensor installed and connected to ST2 hub. It’s a simple open/close device.
I need to send notifications via text if the door is open for 10 minutes. Bonus points for only notifying if my presence is not detected.
Using IFTTT the notification part is no problem. The problem is the waiting X minutes before sending the notification.
I’ve been searching for a while on how to accomplish this and haven’t found anything. It doesn’t seem like a complicated task but I’m lost.
Any advice to push me toward a solution would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Sean

There is one app I’ve seen before - Garage Door Sunset Monitor. There is not really a presence detection in it except for the mode selection.

Your best choice would be to use CoRE

2 Likes

There’s a simple way and a more complicated way. (Actually there are probably a bunch of Ways but these two are probably the most popular.)

1. Set up a custom alert in the smart home monitor:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205380154-Smart-Home-Monitor#Configure_Custom

1. if you want a more complicated set of restrictions, use core:
2 Likes

Simpler solution as JD pointed out above.

The simplest way to do this is using the ST apop, go to the first item - Smart Home Monitor screen. Click on the Gear icon top right hand corner. You should see a Custom option, click the Custom and set it up. It has an option to select what to monitor and for how long. Here you can enter 10 mins and then what type of notifications is needed. You can pick the Text notifications here.

1 Like

Here is the piston I have running in Core. Note that I have two different pistons set up. This one notifies me that the garage door has been up 10 minutes while we are home. The other notifies that the garage door is up if we have left the house and the garage door is up. It will then attempt to close the garage door and then notify me to check the garage door status (in case it went back up because something was in the way. If you want to see that piston let me know.

Welcome to the SmartThings family! Definitely go with @JDRoberts @rajank11 suggestion as it the easiest to implement. :slight_smile:

Have you seen “Something Left Open” smartapp (“Marketplace -> Smartapps -> Energy Management -> Something Left Open”) ?

1 Like

Something left open as well as the custom automation routine are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your help all.

1 Like

thats were my problem

Thank you @caglar10ur just what I was looking for!!!

Smartthings monitor is how I was doing this till they sunset the app… and the newer app doesn’t have this option sadly. lame step back… gonna try the webcore thing unless someone has a suggestion on how to do it simpler??

You are replying to a post which is two years old. A lot has changed in that time. :wink:

See the FAQ for the current options:

FAQ: Get a Notification if Something is Left On, Open, or Unlocked for X Minutes (2021)

So very true!!!..

I’ve already got the WebCoRE stuff working. (had installed it yesterday) the time based alert wasn’t too bad to set up after googling a bit.