[OBSOLETE] Eight Sleep (Connect) V1.0 [Eight Sleep Mattress and Cover]

I have updated the Eight Sleep Device Handler to v1.1. If you could help me test the following:

• For those not experiencing problems, make sure everything still works.
  • For those who have ‘in bed’ / ‘out of bed’ events not firing, seeing if it starts working again.

Is there a new/different repository? I don’t see the update.

The update is only to the device handler, not the “Connect” smartapp.

https://github.com/alyc100/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/alyc100/eight-sleep-mattress.src/eight-sleep-mattress.groovy

1 Like

Tested and I can report that in and out of bed do change, however they are inaccurate. On my side, out of bed did not change until nearly 3 hours after I got out of bed.

Updating the device handler made the contact sensor actually appear again on the device page, but it didn’t change at all last night.

Back to the drawing board on that change then. What would be interesting is if you could screen grab the “Recent Activity” tabs on the moments you got in bed and out of bed so I can analyse how the temperature changes and build that in to the rules. It’s obvious that the pattern I found on my device is different for everybody.

I definitely turned on the heating function pretty high before getting into bed last night. I’ve dug into your (older) DTH a bit and know that changes the basic logic on presence detection. Maybe that’s all that went wrong last night.

I have some other webcore stuff clogging up the recent activity on the device last night, but I’ll turn them off for now and get some clean logging tonight and tomorrow morning.

I did reach out to Eight Support and linked them into this thread… hope that helps.

Since the update, my Eight has lost WiFi connection several times. I hope this is just a fluke and not a result of API hardening on their side. Anyone else having issues?

1 Like

Mine as well. Also, I was unaware of an update?

I was referring to updating my DTH to v1.1, which it looks like you did. I might try taking the devicetype offline just to check if it’s some API-limit problem.

For anyone currently having issues with the Eight sleep cover, I spoke with Eight support:

Currently, we are having a system upgrade for our Smart Cover.
I apologize for the inconvenience. Based from our developer, it may take 24-48 hours but it can be sooner since they are now working on it.

Also means there’s a chance the API problems may either clear up or be made worse in the short term, @Alyc100

1 Like

That is good to know. I have had issues with mine not recording sleep information over the last 4 days. When I reached out to Eight they said that they thought my hub was broken but they could not tell me how it was broken. I explained that my hub lights like it is supposed to and turns on the heat as it should so then they said it was the actual cover that is not working properly. Again no reasoning behind that thought so maybe I will just hold off for a little while to see if their system upgrade self corrects my issues.

Hi, I’m new to this forum and recently received an eight cover. I reviewed everything I could find and it seems this is the best crack at getting the cover to talk to my primary HAS. I currently can’t talk to the SmartThings hub so I can’t traverse data there. Is there any way I could get whatever documentation on the API you have so I don’t have to re-invent the wheel?
I appreciate the help. My creds can be seen on the Allonis forum which is my primary HAS. Thank you.

That’s it. My Eight Sleep lasted 2 years, out of warranty and it has packed up. This app will no longer be maintained or updated by me.

Sorry to hear this.

Out of curiosity, what part of your eight died? Did you contact their support anyway? I’m out of warranty by several months, but they’ve sent me 2 replacement hubs so far after my original died. I was somewhat impressed by their support, albeit not their quality control.

The app says that the side connector is not present when it is. Contacted support and it looks like some of the wiring to the box on the inside compartment on the side of the mattress has deteriorated badly. Eight support will not replace. I’m also in the UK which they do not ship to or support anymore.

Wow! That’s awful. The same thing happened to me and they are sending me a new smart cover free of charge. I guess it’s the UK thing. This is most unfortunate.

Wow, I just sent off an email to Eight about this exact same problem. Been fighting with it for about a week or so. Messing with the wires and unplugging and plugging the side connector back in. Now it just won’t work anymore.

Had a problem last winter too with the pad not heating on one side and they replaced it then. Will have to wait and see what they say this time.

That’s terrible about them dropping support for the UK. Maybe they’re experiencing unusually high failure rates…?

My original hub died completely (no lights, not power, nothing). They sent me a replacement a few weeks and these are the exact symptoms I’m dealing with on it: constantly going offline and then saying the side connector is unplugged. It also just isn’t very warm when it is working.

They’re sending me a second replacement as we speak. I wonder how common this same failure is.