Noise detector device?

Hi

I’m looking for noise detector device that will warn / notify me when my Airbnb tenants are partying and making too much noise.

I searched around and couldn’t find recent thread or any recommendation.

Thanks

Netatmo makes a really nice system.

1 Like

Looks like my “tenants” I mean kids are partying now :smile: Custom notification from Netatmo Weather Station (indoor module)

Just give the neighbors your contact info. :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is a very complicated area legally, and the laws will vary from state to state. But there are about 10 states which have laws of similar to the following wording:

installation or use of any device for photographing, observing or overhearing events or sounds in a private place without permission of the people photographed or observed is considered a law-breaking behavior.

The question of whether an acoustic sensor which simply reports on the loudness of a noise rather than recording individual noise falls into a gray area under these laws. Some people think it’s obvious that that’s not the same as “overhearing an event,“ but others disagree, and some of those others are on the town Councils that make the laws.

In most cases there’s much less of an issue if the sensor is outside of the property. So if the noise is loud enough to be heard outside the unit and you have an acoustic sensor outside, you’re probably OK in most places. (But again, always check local laws as they do vary.)

If you have an acoustic sensor inside the property, however, which is reporting events to you, you may be opening yourself up for a pretty serious invasion of privacy lawsuit.

1 Like

Just asked a friend of mine who has an Airbnb place. She said the Airbnb policy specifically classifies acoustic decibel measurement sensors as “surveillance devices“ and you as a host are not allowed to use them unless it’s disclosed before the guest arrives.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/887/what-are-airbnb-s-rules-about-electronic-surveillance-devices-in-listings

So you may just need to just get on good terms with your neighbors, ask them to call you if the noise is too loud, then you call the guest and if necessary tell the guest that the police will be called if the noise level doesn’t go down.