No Neutral Wiring

First let me qualify I am new to smart writing and learning slowly on home electrical circurtry. I have read numerous threads here about no neutral then you cannot use most typical smart switches. I understand and agree with this. I even ordered a Aeotec Nano Switch because it supports no neutral wiring.

When wiring the Aeotec switch, it jumps off the hot wire “L” (my wire jumps the home run off the black over to the wbite at the light box) over to the the Neutral “N”. I have to think there is a resiistor in the nano device to lower the 120V down to a low voltage to just power the device. If so, if we know how much say a GE Smart Switch needs to power the device off the neutral, is it possible a stand alone resistor to jump off the hot wire work?

This idea would add to the cost of a switch but for the multitude of us in older homes with home runs to the light first, this would seem to be a lower cost solution than rewiring our homes.

Comments please and be nice. I am a newbie in all.aspects and just trying to reason through this. :grinning:

Thanks!

1 Like

The term “jump” is not very clear in your description. If there is follow-up, I assume you mean connect, but that may not be what you mean in all cases.

To power any device you need a difference between line and neutral so that electricity flows. In any smart switch that doesn’t require a neutral, it creates that difference by allowing a minimal amount of electricity to flow through the “switch” even when it is “off”. The hope is that the amount of electricity allowed to flow will make the switch work, but not the load. That’s not always the case, though.

I think I see what you are saying, but the switch has to be designed to work that way. Running a resistive load bypass around a GE switch wouldn’t work, I don’t think. You get points for creative thinking, though.

2 Likes

Welcome!

As @Luther Explained, it Has to be a device designed to work that way. Otherwise your connection is not likely to be to code, may be a fire hazard, but will almost certainly heat your switch unevenly compared to what it is designed for, which will tend to damage the radio inside over time. Designing a smart device for appropriate heat distribution is one of the most challenging parts of the engineering.

Fortunately, you should not have to rewire your home. There are multiple options now for homes which do not have a neutral at the switch.

1. Probably the most popular just because it is the simplest is to use the Lutron Caseta line. Lutron is an engineering company which Focuses on lighting and they hold a ton of patents and are often able to do things that other brands cannot. Although their master switches do cost more then some other brands, their auxiliary devices used for three-way switching are usually less expensive than the other brands’ auxiliaries, and so The total cost of the project may end up being comparable, just depending on how many auxiliary switches you need. The switches work fine with most dimmable dumb LEDs.

2. If you are willing to use halogen bulbs instead of LEDs, there is a GE no neutral switch which will work fine with those.

3. Leviton also makes a switch in their lumina line which does not require A neutral, but that one is intended for commercial buildings and if you’re only buying one it may be the most expensive of all. If you’re buying a couple of dozen and get it through a wholesale channel then the cost comes down considerably.

4. Or, as you mentioned, there are now a couple of micros including the aeotec nano which do not require a neutral.

5. or you might choose to use smart bulbs with one of the battery-operated or kinetic wall switches.

So there are multiple options using devices which are designed for this purpose. It just depends on your own preferences.

Thanks! I knew the “knowledgeable” folks here could explain it. Thanks for the comments!

1 Like

Any suggestions on where to get the best deals on the Lutron Caseta switches?

EnergyAvenue.com has decent prices and prompt, reliable shipping. You can also try using the FREESHIP18 code to get free shipping.

2 Likes