[NO LONGER WORKING] Curb Energy Monitor Integration

Justin, thanks for the history. That helps fill in a lot of blanks. Hopefully they get the docs back up online. I sent back my Sense for the Curb because I knew they had an API and I expected it to be more mature than it is.

I will request a fork of your code soon, and add my changes. Right now, only change is to change to process from historical instead of /latest and also changed request to 5s/s instead of 5m/m (I poll every 10 seconds). I’d also like to add a second poll for 2d/d history (if possible, haven’t tried it yet) and show production today and yesterday. This is all for my kitchen mounted ActionTiles setup.

• Steve

Ok - just did a couple little tests. Looks like Historical reports an average for the timeframe, not a sum. So, 2d/d isn’t useful. However, the aggregate looks like it does sum. However, the aggregate doesn’t report timestamps, so it’s not clear if the 2d/h on the aggregate reports last 48 hours, or since midnight yesterday. I’ll have to experiment a little to see. Looks like if I want total today and total yesterday, I’ll have to subtract the aggregate sum from today from the 2d/h sum.

It looks like the Curb (connect) SmartApp has been down for a couple of days. Something has changed on Curb’s end… I’m looking into it and will post here with any updates. Just wanted to make a note here so people know you aren’t alone!

I also lost connectivity sometime this weekend. Smartthings logging shows the errors below.

Usage Response Error: Failed with status code 403
Falling back to historical endpoint
Getting Usage (from Historical)
Usage from Historical Response Error: Failed with status code 403

As of now, the Curb cloud is behaving well enough that my smart app should be back up and running. It looks like the app.energycurb.com site and some of their cloud services were recently updated and I’m guessing it took them a bit to get the kinks worked out.

There is an updated version of the Curb (connect) smart app on github, but the new version only changes the logging messages. Update if you feel inclined.

You may find some mysterious “null” sensors showing up in your Things list. If this occurs or anything is still misbehaving I recommend re-installing the smart app. If you get an error message while trying to remove the existing installation, it is probably because one of the Curb sensors is being used by another smart app (like CoRE). Make sure all of the curb sensors are removed from other smart apps and then the app should uninstall correctly.

Let me know here if you are still having problems.

Tagging @meltzer22 and @shammyh since I promised them updates.

2 Likes

Looks to be working on my end. Thanks for the help and update.

hi, new user here. Great looking tool, I invested some time to integrate with github and love being able to pull the lastest master.
But, after a lot of re-installs I get consistent :
debug Usage from Historical Response Error: Failed with status code 403
debug Getting Usage (from Historical)
debug Usage Response Error: Failed with status code 403, falling back to historical
So is that Curb with a problem, or me?

Hi @Jeff_Gross, sorry for the delay getting back to you. For me, everything is looking good. If you keep the live logging open when you perform the initial setup are you getting any errors? 403 usually means that the authorization key from Curb is not valid, which could mean something is wrong with your email/password entry or perhaps something more sinister. Let me know what you see during the initial setup.

Awesome. A clean re-install of the code last night got me closer – 408 Timeouts instead of 403 – but then again my native Curb app or website was not connecting to current data either. But a mobile reinstall this morning, and all is well! Thanks!

Now I’ll be searching the forums to see how to scrape the Device Events into file or a database…

1 Like

I have 5 “null” sensors, prior to that i had about 3-4 that were just a string of random characters. I removed those but they re-appeared as “null” sensors. What are these null/randomly named sensors?

Interesting… I have seen this happen before when the Curb cloud was misbehaving, but thought I added enough sanity checks to prevent it from re-occurring. If you manually delete these sensors do they come back? Right now, the Curb cloud seems to be performing well.

They do come back as “null”. I will try removing the smart app and trying it again.

Any luck? If they show up immediately after re-installing the app, I’d be very interested in seeing any errors that show up in Live Logging while you perform the installation.

I also just pushed a small change to the smart app which I’m hoping will stop these errant sensors from getting created even if the app gets funny responses from the Curb API. Try updating to the latest and see it fixes the issue.

Justin,

updated to the latest code and deleted to re-add all the devices again

No NULL Devices, but its not pulling down the the two Main probes, so i only see 16 probes and 2 pre-built devices (main and other)

thanks

This is expected. Curb made a change to no longer report usage from each main sensor individually, but instead they combine it into one “net” usage that my app presents as Main (with, as you noticed, a fake uuid of
_ _ MAIN_ _ ). Would you be interested in per-phase usage on the main?

Justin,

it was interesting to compare how loaded were my individual phases, worked till yesterday till i updated the app…

Gotcha. Updating/reinstalling changed things because of the way my app creates the individual child sensors. The curb API still reports historical data for each phase on the main, but combines both phases for the live usage. My app only creates sensors for those that show up in the live usage. In the past the individual phases showed up in the live data (leading to my app creating sensors for them) and they continued to get updated with the historical usage info until you reinstalled the app.

I haven’t tried removing the smartapp yet. Can i just publish the updated code in the ST IDE window or do i need to remove the app first?

The only reason to fully remove the smartapp is to clean out the extra sensors quickly. You can update the app from the IDE without re-installing, and then manually delete any null sensors at your device list to accomplish the same end result.

after deleting from device list they came back after i added another device handler, published it, and changed an unrelated thing device type. deleted the nulls again.