*** No longer supported *** [OBSOLETE] Introducing ScheduleTstatZones: multi zoned heating/cooling solution for your home

No,bad copy and paste. I reverted the change.

Hello talz13,

Did you check if the ST hello mode change has been triggerred? Sometimes, the mode change is not always
reliable, so my code will not activate the schedule if the mode switch has not been done.

Regards.

P.S. For further support, I will request a consulting fee as your use case is asking for too much effort on my part.

Regards.

Hello,

I have confirmed that the Notifications > Messages screen has indicated:

Performing “I’m Back!” for you as requested, because presence sensor arrived
I changed the mode from Away to Home. I also turned off security system.

I don’t think my use case is out of the normal, I’ve scaled back my plans to just the 3 modes (Home / Away / Night), using 2 rooms. I don’t expect a professional level of support, and you’re free to respond as you feel appropriate. I’m just trying to get it up and running, and providing any logs or other information that may help troubleshoot issues. I realize that you are providing this code free for use, and that it takes a considerable amount of time and effort to support users!

Edit: I realize I may be trying to use ScheduleTstatZones for too simple of a process. I’ve installed 3 copies of “Keep Me Cozy II” for my Home / Away / Night mode settings. I’ll have to see how it responds to the mode changes.

Hi @talz13,

That’s fine, the ScheduleTstatZones was designed to create virtual or physical zones inside your house… You may not need all the features, and other smartapps may meet your requirements.

P.S. BTW, I tested my smartapp at home with some similar configurations, and it works as designed… It can apply the zone settings according to the ST hello modes and can dynamically switch the zone settings from one ST hello mode to another…

I suspect that your issues were related to some misconfiguration.

BTW, I have now explaned the different use cases at the new wiki.

See ScheduleTstatZones at:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Unpublished_SmartApps

And My Ecobee Device at

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device

Bye.

I am running version 3.5.5. I am getting this error in the log when I run ScheduleTstatZones:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘rescheduled’ on null object @ line 548

@DreamPunk please try to update your smartapp by pressing ‘next’ till ‘done’.

I’ve added some defensive code to make sure that the smartapp is rescheduled, it should alleviate
some of the ST scheduling issues that we’re facing from time to time.
Regards.

It is working again. I noticed this other message in the logs, in case it matters:

setZoneSettings>not able to do a refresh() on Nest, exception java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command ‘refresh’ is not supported. Supported commands: [poll, setHeatingSetpoint, setCoolingSetpoint, off, heat, emergencyHeat, cool, setThermostatMode, fanOn, fanAuto, fanCirculate, setThermostatFanMode, auto, setSchedule, away, present, setPresence, heatingSetpointUp, heatingSetpointDown, coolingSetpointUp, coolingSetpointDown, setFahrenheit, setCelsius]

@DreamPunk, your Nest thermostat device handler does not have the “refresh” capability.

I added some code to call poll() instead in v3.5.6.

Regards.

1 Like

great work on this smartapp! I’ve just recieved my smart vents from keen and i am trying to use the scheduleTstatZones smartapp but i keep getting “an unexpected error occured” everytime i go through the set up. is this a known issue?

@Ronin,

Please make sure to follow the use cases described under the ST community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

I personally went through the whole setup and I didn’t have any error message… It could be a temporary ST issue…

Next time, please make sure to have the IDE/live logging on and PM me any error message.
The troubleshooting section under the wiki explains how to set up live logging.

And, please support the developer :grinning:
Regards.

@DreamPunk and al,

I got all my Keen home vents (production units) yesterday, and after some more testing, found an issue within adjust_vent_settings_in_zone() which adjusts the vents, it’s has been corrected in v3.6.

You may want to upgrade as well.

Let me know how it goes on your end with your Nest thermostat!
Regards.

I updated to the latest version this morning. Since I installed the vents, I’ve been trying to pay attention to what the vents are doing throughout the day. So far, with the previous versions of the app, I’m not sure I’ve seen the vents close to prevent rooms downstairs from becoming too cold while the A/C tries to cool down warmer rooms upstairs.

One thing I learned is not to use the temperature sensors in the vents to determine the room temperature as the sensors are often 20 degrees colder than the room itself.

I notice that the vents adjust every few minutes, closing and opening again to 25% even though the a/c is off. Why is that? I’m worried about the constant wear on the vents.

@DreamPunk,

I made some changes to only adjust the vents when the main thermostat is not ‘Idle’ (i.e. ‘Cooling’, ‘Heating’, ‘Fan only’).

Grab the latest version at github, save & publish.

P.S. You may need to update your smartapp by pressing ‘next’ till ‘done’ again, as I added a new state variable to keep track of the thermostat’s Operating State.
Regards.

Yes, that fixed it. Thanks!

@DreamPunk,

Just as FYI, if you are concerned about your Keen Home smart vents’ battery life, you should also set up
my custom device handler which changes the polling rate from every minute to 5-10 minutes.

See the readme under:

Regards.

EDIT: It also fixes the issue with the Open/Closed icons

The app keeps closing a vent that I manually open. The room has no occupancy or temperature sensor (yet) and I have not told the app to adjust anything based on the temperature or motion in that room. Also, in rooms where there has been no motion for 15 minutes, the app is opening/leaving open vents and needlessly cooling those rooms. Those rooms have motion and temperature sensors and the app has instructions to ignore them if there has been no motion.

How can I configure the app so that it closes vents in rooms that are not occupied?

Hi @DreamPunk,

There are some safeguards to keep in mind… The smartapp will not close vents under certain
circumstances for safety reasons (i.e. to avoid any damage to your HVAC). It will leave them open
at a minimum level.

Please refer to the wiki for more details under the safeguard features for more details:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

Also:

• If you want to manually control some vents, you should then exclude them from the list of vents to be controlled by the smartapp.

• To understand better the smartapp’s logic in place, please refer to item 3 under Troubleshootng, and
    enable detailed notifications.

P.S. My smartapp will probably not meet all use cases out there. I’m trying to meet the most generic use case where some vents automation is required.

Regards.

EDIT: For your last question: How can I configure the app so that it closes vents in rooms that are not occupied?

I need to test the new version of the smartapp at home before as it has already almost reached the limit of 20 seconds execution time imposed by the ST platform. I cannot add too much logic to it without making sure that it will meet all ST time & execution constraints.

The general idea would be just to reuse the same fields as folllows:

section("Room ${indiceRoom}-MotionSensor [optional]") {
			input "motionSensor${indiceRoom}", title: "Motion sensor (if any) to detect if room is occupied", "capability.motionSensor", 
            			required: false, description: "Optional"

}
		section("Room ${indiceRoom}-Do temp/vent adjustment when occupied room only [optional]") {
			input "needOccupiedFlag${indiceRoom}", title: "Will do temp/vent adjustement only when Occupied [default=false]", "Boolean", metadata: [values: ["true", "false"]], 

}
		section("Room ${indiceRoom}-Do temp/vent adjustment with this occupied's threshold [optional]") {
			input "residentsQuietThreshold${indiceRoom}", title: "Threshold in minutes for motion detection [default=15 min]", "number", 

}

@DreamPunk, the version at my github should answer your last question.

And, you need to set the following input parameters in rooms as stated in my previous post:

section("Room ${indiceRoom}-MotionSensor [optional]") {
			input "motionSensor${indiceRoom}", title: "Motion sensor (if any) to detect if room is occupied", "capability.motionSensor", 

}
		section("Room ${indiceRoom}-Do temp/vent adjustment when occupied room only [optional]") {
			input "needOccupiedFlag${indiceRoom}", title: "Will do temp adjustement only when Occupied [default=false]", "Boolean", metadata: [values: ["true", "false"]], 

}
		section("Room ${indiceRoom}-Do temp/vent adjustment with this occupied's threshold [optional]") {
			input "residentsQuietThreshold${indiceRoom}", title: "Threshold in minutes for motion detection [default=15 min]", "number", 

}

Regards.

EDIT: I also found some few cases where the setLevel was not calculated properly, so I updated my version at github last nigth with my calculation correction.

Hi @DreamPunk and others,

Just to let you know, I released a major upgrade as I decided to change all “Boolean” input parameters to “bool” which is more standard and is more compatible with iOS devices.

By consequence, if you upgrade to v5.x, you’d need to review your flag settings in order to avoid any side effects at runtime.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

N.B. I also created a new simpler smartapp for controlling room temperature using Smart Vents. It is called ScheduleRoomTempControl. It allows to set different desired temperature settings for each room or zone, based on the same concepts of rooms, zones & schedules.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl

However, the new smartapp does not allow any outdoor/indoor temp adjustement or any fan settings.