[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Glad you like it!

Correct
you should be able to copy/paste it right from the setup web page right to the Developer site. Be sure your label is also from the setup page all all upper case. @smwein

I did that before and didn’t save. I will try again.

MichaelS

You have done some incredible work. Really love the app, I am trying to tweak it so that I can say “turn AC/heat on” vs turn on cooling mode. Any suggestions on how to do this properly?

Carmelo

Interesting idea
I instead of replacing “cooling” I will simply add it to the list of available commands you can use
think of it as an easter egg
looking at how difficult it would be to do that right now since I am in the code.

That was a pretty easy add
two additional lines of code and a new item in the parameters slot
should be in the next release.

great, no more having to say turn on cooling mode it was a little cumbersome especially for my mom with a heavy Italian accent.

1 Like

Glad to hear it
I find it strange the Alexa knows “A” “C” and doesn’t think it is “ack” sounding
either way I did test it and while you have to be rather verbose and say the commands exactly right, it does work.

So other ideas that would be awesome to integrate would be to have the device list pulled vs having to modify the list every time I add something new or decide to change the name ofor a device. Is there a way in the custom slots to just point to the variables website and have it download the device list or better yet all the custom slots variables.

I have looked at this, and if you go into the forums within Amazon you will see the answer is a resounding no
This is a reason my app will never be ‘published’ by Amazon
it is TOO customized for the individual user (both the slots and the OAuth code). To make it more ‘generic’ would be to limit its functionality (I would only be able to allow certain names of devices or macros, for example).

It is a great device, but the level of integration we have with the SmartThings requires a bit more manual efforts. However, IMO it is worth it for the level of control we get.

1 Like

2.1.0 will be released probably Sunday
I want to do a few more tests on it. However, here is a sampling of what will be included:

• Bug Fixes/Optimizations-This version focuses speed of some routines
overall, I was able to minimize the looping of some actions and brought the response time down about 1 second on some longer operations. I also moved some of the ‘translate’ needs (i.e. mph to miles per hour, etc) to the Lambda code from the SmartThings code to speed up processing as well.

• Environmental Report - Lunar rise/set has been added, and the sunrise/sunset are now functions of the location you enter and not just the SmartThings hub location. As always, courtesy of @storageanarchy

• Mode/Routine/SHM control- Instead of these functions being on or off, you can now choose which modes, routines, or SHM controls are accessible via Ask Alexa. For example, you may not want to be able to disarm the SHM with your voice but be able to set Arm (Stay)
you can now do that. This will require you to set up this feature even if you had it set up previously and change your slot lists in the developer site. Thanks @Michael_D for this suggestion.

• Macro Continuation Commands - Now allows you to suppress the after-macro continuation commands (if enabled) on a per macro basis. This option will only be available if the global setting for continuation commands is on. Errors will still give the continuation option. Thanks @bamarayne!

• Courtesy Responses - Based on the recent survey many of you completed, you can now choose how Alexa addresses you during the continued responses. This DOES NOT change the underlying action responses, however, any continuing commands now change based on your settings. Courtesy presents more “Thank You”s and “Please”s than that normal response. Next version will be Snarky, and then from there a more formal (Jarvis like) response. This also adds the ability to add a personal name to the additional commands. These are randomized so it doesn’t say it all of the time. In addition, you can use the text macro %people% to autopopulate the name depending on who is present. This WILL use all names of those set up and present, so this may not be the best solution for everyone.

• Lambda Code-Added the “Courtesy” personality responses. These are randomized and can include your name in the response. Also the behind-the-scenes translate function

• AC Cooling-Added a key word “AC” that works like the cooling command for thermostats. You may now say “Alexa, tell SmartThings to set Thermostat AC to 67 degrees”. Thanks @Crizz6396 for the suggestion!

Check back here Sunday!

11 Likes

I actually found a way to separate the password/pin out from being global to more context based. So you can turn on doors and not locks, or for modes but not routines, etc. I didn’t implement it into all voice macros yet as it would conflict with the time delay and need to figure out how this will work with group macros
but the framework is there and will be implemented over the next few releases.

Update to 2.1.0 is here: [Deprecated] Ask Alexa 2.1.0

2 Likes

Just made a donation. Thanks for your hard work on this.

2 Likes

Thanks Jason
I really appreciate the support the community gives to the developers for the work they do
it isn’t at all expected, but it is a nice treat
You just bought me a vodka soda tonight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awww hell I’ll buy you one too :slight_smile:

Anyone else for a third ? HAHA
have a great weekend guys!

4 Likes

Hi @MichaelS, I wanted to say thanks for all of the work you have put into this app. This is great. Last night i went through all of the installation and it went fairly smooth due to the wiki. The question i have at the moment is in regards to colored lights grouped under macros. When using these commands:

MacroOperation to set the {Macro} to {MParam}
MacroOperation to set the {Macro} to a color of {MParam}

the lights turn off. After digging into the code of the smart app for a bit i see the cause. The default level is set to 0.

I simply changed line 982 from:
def num = mNum == “undefined” ? 0 : mNum as int
to
def num = mNum == “undefined” ? 100 : mNum as int
and all works well. I havent really dug in ans seen if this breaks other things, but for the time being, it seems to fix this problem.

I was trying to pull the current state to get the existing level, but it appears the actual lights are not pulled into this function. I see in other parts of the code the lights are part of the function, maybe in future versions of the code we can pull current state into this function?

Thanks again!

Ah
I see your point
if you fail to give a numeric command it is 'undefined; in which case it appears to go to 0
I will go through some testing to figure out if this is the correct way to resolve this. I think the issue I ran into with getting the current value is that even if the light is off, the ‘level’ is set and could cause some confusion
however, if I check if ‘on’ and the ‘level’ it might work better
I think, however, even in that scenario I ran into some loop

Either way I appreciate you letting me know
and thanks for the kind words.

Looking into this further and looking up my notes, the issues is that pulling the individual lights in a group gets confusing rather quickly
That being said I do think the logic in place is currently incorrect and will figure out a way to change it
The original intention is that for a group of lights, if you wanted them to sync in color, you would probably want them to sync in brightness and you would give them a brightness command.

Either way, I will play with this today and get it fixed.