[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

By the way, your instructions are amazing. Best instructions I’ve ever seen on a walkthrough to implement something this complex. I wish the guy who wrote the MyQ garage door integration for Alexa’s were as clear as yours :slight_smile:

1 Like

Abbreviations don’t work well sometimes…maybe renaming it “I Am Leaving”. However, any phrases with “I’m” or “I am” do have a tendency to conflict with something internally to the Alexa. I would first test your macro via the developer site…the slots won’t take abbreviations so it probably put IM into the macro slot…I would see what happens when you put that into the developer site (i.e. im leaving).

Also, I get your need and will see how easy it is to implement a PIN on macros…

I had to do that exactly, tried I’m leaving macro but had to change to I Am Leaving. It works fine now, and if I happen to say “I’m” instead of “I am”, it usually works fine too.

Thanks for the feedback destructure00. I already changed it to goodbye instead and that seems to be working great, so thank you very much MichaelS on helping me get that up and running and thanks for looking into macro security! This is awesome stuff!

2 Likes

Might not be an issue for you but for my setup I didn’t want to confuse my Goodbye macro with the Goodbye routine, so I kept them named differently.

Yep, you were right destructure00 :slight_smile: I was doing the routine, not my macro. I am changing it to I Am leaving like you did :slight_smile: I’ll let you know if that works out for me.

1 Like

Yep that works perfectly! Thanks for the help destructure00!

1 Like

I always expect when I read an article like this they would at least mention that “with community assistance SmartThings has been able to do this for 5 months now”…Oh well:

5 Likes

I have one named Echo, one named Alexa, and one named Amazon…because they were too close and could hear each other… I have a Tap in the bathroom.

By the way, I understand now why you were talking about ‘you would have to add security to the routines as an option as well’ as I am now seeing how handy that would be there as well :slight_smile: Sorry I’m still new to smartthings so I guess I didn’t really understand the routines which work great for the good morning and good night options I want to do, but not the “I am leaving” option as it doesn’t have a delay option in it.

I actually started the framework to put passwords (optionally) on other items as well…not in the upcoming version. But in a version soon…

Hey @MichaelS I was wondering…

This concerns the follow up commands…

What would it take to be able to choose which macros have follow and which do not?

For example, of the 46 macros I have set up almost all of them I would want follow up commands.

But my “it is time for bed” macro I do not. I just want to say it is time for bed, her response, and then receive a message five minutes later. When she says goodnight, I want her to go to sleep.

Possibly a Boolean switch in the setup process of the macros?

It is a lot more deep than just a switch…the %#% at the end of every statement now is processed by Lambda and it determines (globally) if you get a follow up command or not. So, each macro would need a switch to override that…The more difficult part is that a macro is a ‘child’ app and you would have to pass the variable back from child to master to process it…not impossible as it is done many times within the app; however, it is more difficult than just adding a toggle. And, of course, there are different ways to accomplish this same task.

Weren’t you the one who convinced me to put these follow up commands in? Now you would me to take them out :slight_smile: haha…I will look into this as it does align with the new personalities function that I am putting in…probably would be a good idea to not have them globally on but allow certain macros to be turned off.

1 Like

Lol yeah… That was me… Always wanting more!

I didn’t think it would be as simple as a throwing in a switch, nothing ever is. :innocent:

I just thought it would be a good feature to give the choice other than all or nothing.

Thanks for thinking about it.

1 Like

I have updated the app to 2.0.8…kinda a big one with the Lambda code being completely revamped for the addition of personalities (coming soon).

1 Like

Awesome, thank you :slight_smile: I look forward to that release :slight_smile:

Not that it really matters, but for the use case you have where you DON’T want the secondary choice, is that a voice macro, control macro, or something else?

It’s a control macro.

I was able to add a toggle to macros that overrides the continuation message (except in the case of an error) on a per macro basis.

Will be in the next release.

This only goes for macros at this time…errors, devices, and status are still globally on or off…

2 Likes

That’s awesome!