[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

I’d Is anyone else having problems getting the skill to work?

Mines dead in the water… Again…

Is working for me right now

Yea i’m having issues today too. Haven’t changed anything.

I don’t think this one is on ST, is an Amazon gift…

l seem to be having a problem that @bamarayne was having a while back, and I don’t know that a solution was ever discovered…

When I askAlexa to turn a colored light device group on or off, all goes as planned. I can dim as well, no problems. If I ask Alexa to control an individual bulb, all goes well, including the ability to change colors. BUT if I ask Alexa to change the color of a colored light device group, it turns all of the lights in the group off.

I’ve run several variations of the command in the amazon simulator, everything from: “tell smart things to change the color of string lights to red” to “tell smart things to turn [or set] [or change] string lights red”

Everything was freshly installed today, and all other functions except this one seem to be working fine.

Need some help if anybody can provide it. Thx.

If I remember correctly, since I don’t use this command to much, is that I had to say…

Alexa, ask home to change the living room lights to the color blue and 75%.

I had to give both commands.

So need a few pointers here, not familiar with Amazon debugging. The issue is when I tell Alexa to “tell Jarvis” (ST) to set the top floor thermostat cooling to 90 degrees, it says that it’s setting it to 45, the minimum.
When I used the native ST Echo integration it works fine.

So why would it convert 90 to 45? How do I debug this? Thanks.

In the slashes app you can set the upper and lower limits on things like thermostats and speakers.

Also, I have found that it works much more reliably to have the thermostats in either heat or cool, not auto.

When mine are in auto I can not get reliable temp changes in either askAlexa or the native integration.

I’m using two Honeywell 8320 zwave thermostats.

Open Ask Alexa, hit settings then select device min, max. Also there may be a little bug as 90 cooling shouldn’t trigger min cooling. @MichaelS

UPDATE: @RBoy just got home and asked my home to set cooling at 90 degrees and Ask Alexa said it set the cooling at 79 as maximum cooling temperature.

Is the device hearing you correctly. One of the reasons I put minimum and maximum values is that I found the numbers are not heard correctly. Usually in the app you can see what is heard…or usually the live logging…

1 Like

I’ve configured the Max and Min as 90 and 45 before trying this. That’s what I was asking, how so I know what it hears.
The only way I can confirm is when I tell Echo to set to 90 it does it without a hitch, but when I ask Alexa it says setting to minimum, so I’m trying to figure out how to debug this since most of the work appears to be happening at the Amazon end.

You can watch the live logging in SmartThings to at least see what it hears.

1 Like

Hi @MichaelS, i don’t remember I set any voice macro, what could be the issue? I can’t fix them as well. Thanks for the wonderful work.

I have never seen that before. It does a check of the names and then displays that message if there are two with same name. The only thing I can think of here is that you attempted to create a macro and abandoned it but it somehow saved. Do you see any child apps in your IDE?

On the main screen under the configure Macros | Voice Macros, I can see “11 Voice Macro Configured”, but I never touch this part before as I do not have time to read about what the voice macros can do until today.

On the Voice Macros screen, there’s no other child app below.

Ok, now I added my first Voice macro, after completing, now i have 12 macro …

I had the exact same problem with a bedtime routine. The Alexa smartphone app (the standalone one, not a SmartThings SmartApp) allows you to see the actual text that the echo heard. It turns out Alexa would execute the routine properly when it heard “Bedtime” but not when it heard “Bed Time”. Which one she chooses probably boils down to the timing between the syllables when you say it.

To get around this issue, I added a new group in the Alexa standalone app called “Bed Time” and put a single device into it - the switch that activates the “Bedtime” routine. With this, she’ll respond to both variations by either activating the group (which activates the switch) or activating the switch directly. Her comprehension is now pretty close to 100% for that routine call.

This looks like a fantastic app, and I truly appreciate the work that went into creating it. I was working my way through the installation tutorial when I got held up on the “Setup Variables” section. When clicking the “Setup Variables” button in the SmartApp, I consistently get this javascript error:

{“error”:true, “type”:“java.lang.NullPointerException”,“message”:“An unexpected error occurred.”}

It does not generate a log in the SmartThings API, so I’ve been unable to finish up. Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

When troubleshooting, think about the connections between the different steps. @MichaelS did a great job of documenting everything on the wiki page, I’m borrowing @N8XD’s picture from there:

You can break the process apart and test each individual step on it’s own. Use the Test function in Alexa Skills Kit to eliminate potential misunderstanding by typing in your command directly. From there, you can see what intent is being called, and what the Lambda response is. Then you can go to your Live Log in IDE and see what ST’s reaction to this command is. If you look at each of the links separately this should point you towards the problem.

3 Likes

Thanks yes, I did go through it. Just want sure how to get the decomposition of the Lamda and Alexa app but as pointed out the SmartThings Live Logging pretty much gives you all the end results, a great place to start.

So did the live logging show a different number than what you spoke? Like 19 (which would be below the minimum) instead of 90? Just curious.

1 Like