[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

I’ve been on calls all morning, the nice part, being the smartest on the calls means you already know all the BS everyone else is debating, so I can ignore it!

Love conference calls…makes SmartThings stuff so much easier to work on.

2 Likes

@MichaelS you my friend, knocked it out of the park!!! Nice work…

2 Likes

So it was ok to delay this until I got it right ? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OMG, I think we attended the same meetings. I was knocking some reports and following the steps on how to install @MichaelS 's app…at the same time.

1 Like

You couldn’t have picked a better day. I am in meetings galore today. Perfect timing.

1 Like

Let’s other people discover the bugs before you do :wink:

1 Like

ALL…until I release 1.0.0a you will need to add the LIST_OF_PARAMS and LIST_OF_REPORTS and just keep them blank…

May press the button early so this stops being an issue.

That’s what I would do.

Ok…done…1.0.0a is the current version

3 Likes

When you create a report ensure that the name you have it in the app is exactly the way you spell it in the AWS web site. You do NOT need to include the word report in the name.

You do this to get the report: "where’s my family

Alexa, ask home to play the where’s my family report
Or
Alexa, tell home to play the where’s my family report
Or
Alexa, ask home to tell me about the where’s my family report
Or, my favorite,

Alexa, ask home to tell me where’s my family.
The response -
This is your voice report for The Location Of Your Family members. Jason is present, Wendi is present, Justin is not present, Kris is not present.

Experiment with it and you can find ways to name your reports that is very natural.

I’m going to rename that report to - where my family is.

That way I can say -
Asked, ask home to tell me where my family is.

So a dose of my own medicine…my AppID and Token were in the Lambda code…I quickly revoked them in my app (so that got tested), but always be careful of posting those things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI Michael,
Just want to congratulate you on this level of development. I installed Alexa Helper and thought that was good. This work looks fantastic. Just waiting for my Echo to arrive here in the UK and I’ll do some testing.

Great job !

1 Like

Couple things I want to mention.

1. Congratulations @MichaelS on making a truly awesome integration! I have installed it and it works as advertised. Amazing work!

2. This documentation should be the gold standard for documentation for community SmartApps. Easy to follow, in depth, and concise. I don’t think there was a single thing missed. Very well done!

3. For those of you that install this, do NOT share your token anywhere public, this should be regarded as a password, and treated as such.

4. This is another testament to the amazing work this community can do. It never ceases to amaze me!

18 Likes

@MichaelS,

When I try to ask for status of doors and temp sensors, it says it cannot find them. When I go to the URL with all the setup information (or look at it in the smart app), there is no section that lists my doors and temp sensors.

It would see that they would need to be there. Am I missing something?

My temp sensor including bathroom motion:

My attempt to ask for the status of the bathroom motion:

Hmmm…very strange…did you look in your list for custom slots to ensure these devices were in there? I can say the apostrophe may causing some of the issues for those devices, but want to make sure first that the devices were listed in the “LIST_OF_DEVICES”

EDIT Reading your post a bit closer it sounds like they are NOT listed…can you look in the log when running the set up web page to see if any errors are thrown? I would also like to see what DOES come out of your web site list that is generated.

For those of you that do not have an Echo or a Dot, you can still use this app. There is a FREE (on iOS at least) application on iOS and Andriod called “Roger” which can sync to your Amazon account. I have been using this today to do some testing. I have no connection to the app or the developer, and it can be flaky sometimes. I assume it will get better over time. Regardless, it is a nice option for a ‘Siri’ type of device and will allow you to get reports and such when you are not near an Echo/Dot.

2 Likes

I get a warning:

5:00:56 PM EDT: warn There was an issue parsing the device labels. Be sure all of the devices are uniquley named/labeled and that none of them are blank (null).

Here is the output from that section of the setup page:
Amazon ASK Custom Slot Information:

DEVICE_TYPE_LIST

reports
switches
switch
dimmers
dimmer
colored lights
color
colors
speakers
speaker
water sensor
water sensors
water
lock
locks
thermostats
thermostat
temperature sensors
modes
routines
smart home monitor
SHM
security
temperature
door
doors
humidity
humidity sensor
humidity sensors

LIST_OF_DEVICES

basement lights
bathroom closet
bathroom heater
bathroom tub
bathroom vanity
beth’s nightstand
corner cabinet
desk
entry lights
fan light
front lights
garage lights
gray chairs
laundry room
powder room
todd’s nightstand
wicker
bathroom room
beth’s chair
chit chat chair

LIST_OF_OPERATORS

on
off
lock
unlock

LIST_OF_REPORTS

which lights are on

LIST_OF_PARAMS

heat
cool
heating
cooling
auto
automatic
white
orange
red
green
blue
yellow
purple
pink

LIST_OF_SHPARAM

im back
good night
good morning
movie time
goodbye
approaching driveway
arm
disarm
stay
armed stay
armed away
off
night
home
away

LIST_OF_SHCMD

routine
security
smart home
smart home monitor
mode

I took the apostrophes out and I still get the warning.

I’m not sure if this has been said yet, but I have seen a couple of similar issues in the above posts.

Most of our devices have multiple capabilities, especially thermostats.

only choose your device in one location for one capability

Such as in the thermostats/temperature/humidity section. Your thermostat may show up under all three, but only choose it in one place. Experiment with it to get the response status that you want.

Choosing it more than one place is seen by Alexa as having multiple devices with the same name and will respond with an error.

2 Likes

Ok…this is the resolve from an issue @Big_Jim had above…I will almost bet that you have one of those devices where the label is not filled in correctly. Some devices do that for some reason…I would go through each device and see what you come up with. If they ALL have labels, try removing the apostrophe from some of the names as the Echo can’t ‘hear’ possessives…just plurals (if that makes sense…it hears “Mikes”…not “Mike’s”)