[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

This is what I’m working on now…

I plan to morph this into telling Alexa to play on speaker X C what I actually say… An interception of the card maybe…

1 Like

If you are looking to use predefined messages you can create an Ask Alexa macro that turns on a virtual switch. The virtual switch can then trigger the “Notify with sound” app or one of the rule apps to play a message on a dlna speaker. If you want to get really fancy you can even use additional conditions (time, occupancy etc) to play different messages in different situations and different speakers.

I use it so my kids can ask: “Echo, ask my home if it is time to go to bed” and they get a different answer on the dlna speaker in the same room based on what time it is.

1 Like

Sorry for the newbie question but I’m just now setting this up.

But anytime I add a switch that is a momentary button tile type I get the warning about “There was an issue parsing the device labels. Be sure all of the devices are uniquley named/labeled and that none of them are blank (null).”. I’m not even for sure if I will need these switches but wanted to set them up just in case.

Is this a know issue of am I doing something wrong?

This error is indicative of a device label actually being blank, even though you see the name in your mobile app. This will also appear if you have a device listed twice within the main app…for example, a dimmer is also a switch…it can ONLY be listed in one of those categories, not both.

Typically if you have duplicates it will tell you, so I am leaning toward a blank label. Removing items one at a time will help you identify this…or you can go through all of your devices and look at each one individually.

Let me know if this helps!

I knew this and thought I had double-checked that before posting but I must have been looking at a different type of device, thanks. And thanks for the hard work on this app!

No problem…to be clear, you did find the issue? Was it a thermostat?

No missing labels on my momentary button tiles switches. I had already cleared everything out and added them back one-by-one until I found the problem child(s)…

Gotcha! Thanks!

But I’m really thinking I won’t need them because they were primarily used for triggering rules in RM for grouping of activities. But with the macros piece of your app I will be able to delete them all. Again thanks for the time and effort you put into this!

Happy it is working for you!

Hoping someone can help me here…

I followed the directions, twice, but clearly am missing something. My accounts are all using the same email. While testing i will get the correct response, and see the logs update in IDE.

Speaking gives me absolutely nothing… sometimes I get a ding and nothing, most of the time i get the she doesn’t know what I am asking.

It seems that the skill isn’t enabled, but on my app it shows it is. WTF am I doing wrong?

I’m having an issue with one macro, labeled Im going to bed, this is the response I get in ide.

DT: error java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Execution time exceeded 20 app execution seconds: 21956329134206

Any ideas?

A few things to look for…

1. Did you ensure you set up your Lambda code in N Virginia
  2. Did you copy your Oauth and App Id to the lambda code (I assume yes since you see the log response)
  3. Did you copy the ARN from the Lambda code to the developer site
  4. Even if set up incorrectly, you should get some sort of response…What is that response?
  5. Did you type the commands you want to do in the developer site to simulate the speech? Any response that way on the screen (nothing will be send to the alexa).
  6. I recommend sending a screenshot of your Live Logging…be sure to filter out the Oauth and App ID which are passed to the live logging…with this data anyone can control the items you set up in the house ( you can always PM them to me).

What is the macro doing? Is this a voice report? It appears you have a loop that is using up your 20 tries to execute before it errors out.

Send a screenshot of your macro if you can.

[quote=“MichaelS, post:860, topic:46786”]

1. Did you ensure you set up your Lambda code in N Virginia[/quote] Yes- double checked

[quote=“MichaelS, post:860, topic:46786”]2) Did you copy your Oauth and App Id to the lambda code (I assume yes since you see the log response)[/quote] Yes- double checked

[quote=“MichaelS, post:860, topic:46786”]3) Did you copy the ARN from the Lambda code to the developer site[/quote] Yes- double checked

[quote=“MichaelS, post:860, topic:46786”]4) Even if set up incorrectly, you should get some sort of response…What is that response? [/quote] Alexa responds: “I’m not quite sure how to help you with that.” or i get a ding and nothing else. I did try changing the name from smartthings to Jarvis and home thinking it wasn’t getting the name. This did not help.

[quote=“MichaelS, post:860, topic:46786”]5) Did you type the commands you want to do in the developer site to simulate the speech? Any response that way on the screen (nothing will be send to the alexa).[/quote] Typing commands on the developer site gives me correct responses. And I can see the logs update as this happens.

[quote=“MichaelS, post:860, topic:46786”]6) I recommend sending a screenshot of your Live Logging…be sure to filter out the Oauth and App ID which are passed to the live logging…with this data anyone can control the items you set up in the house ( you can always PM them to me).
[/quote] sending PM with logs

Just a macro to run routine good night

And what is in the actual Good Night Routine? And this happens every time you run it? Also, is there anything in the log (overall) that is showing red? If the routine doesn’t run right (or takes forever to run) it could affect Ask Alexa.

It basically turns off all the devices and turns on master bedroom light and tv, I could see it taking a while. And yes happens everytime i run it. The response I get though is that Alexa can’t find a macro named I’m going to bed

Hmmm…that error indicates you may not have the macro name in your custom slot on the Amazon developer site. If you do, try removing the I’m and put in I am…wondering if that works better.