[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Yes and no…All of the programmed responses are in English. In theory, separate versions could be created that would change these to local languages. However, this would require an effort beyond myself, or something within Amazon that would be able to translate the output on-the-fly to another language. All of these is possible with time and effort.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

Are the responses built-in Ask Alexa or it’s more like in an xml file that we could easily translate?

They are built into the code, unfortunately. However, an XML file would be an alternative to some of the output. However, some of the output is dynamic (like plurals and such) so a separate version would probably always be needed at some point for local languages.

If at some point you decide to gather all phrases and dump them in an xml-like file, you can count on me to translate it to Canadian French. We also could work together the translation logic for plurals etc.

Thanks!

1 Like

All that being said, I’m stil on the fence between Alexa and GH. I’d be all over Alexa if only they had other language. Wife won’t talk to assistant in English even if she’s more than capable.

HA = (money*skills)/wife acceptance :joy:

1 Like

Verbal reports are working great for me using the Eufy Genie.

Is there a length limit on synthesized speech messages? I’m trying to string two sensor reports together and my speaker says the entirety of the first one, and about 3/4 of the second one before it abruptly cuts out.It always cuts out at the same point too. The same thing happens if I reverse the order of the two reports.

-Brad

1 Like

What if you combine the report into one string. I have heard about delays in TTS stuff, and it comes from how the speakers wake up and initiate the conversation. Others have used spaces or other characters at the beginning of the text to delay playback of two different ‘streams’. If you have a way to combine them, however, that might be the best way to do it. If these are both coming from Ask Alexa there is a way to combine macro outputs.

Right, I’ve tried several different ways of combining and so far none have allowed me to get around this particular problem. Is there a way to add a delay between sequential events in a macro or voice report sequence?

Here’s another one: is there a way to have a conditional statement? For example I would like my house to alert me specifically if the garage door is open, but NOT to say anything if it isn’t. Would anything allow me to ping a sensor and alert me if it has a particular state? (likewise if a temp gauge or water sensor has a particular value).

[EDIT] Of course I can just use IFTTT and that works fine. Although in order to make this works I need a state variable to set, indicating that the garage door is open. The Home/Away/Night mode works well for this purpose, but it’s limited because there’s only one such setting. Is it possible to expand the set of restrictions that can be used for executions of macros or voice reports? In other words, it would be great if a restriction could be the state of a virtual switch. This would dramatically increase the number of state variables that can be maintained (i.e. the working memory of ask alexa).

Hey Michael!
Firstly, amazing work dude!

I am however stuck lol…

Following your instructions to the letter, ive just pasted the Intent Schema, and cant figure out where to go from here! (I know I should be dealing with the custom slots, but the Schema is giving an error at the bottom of the screen.

Error: There was a problem with your request: There are missing slot values in slot type “LIST_OF_OPERATORS” for slot “Operator” in intent “DeviceOperations”.

Any advice for me dude?
Thanks

For conditional usage, I recommend WebCoRE…you can run these via Ask Alexa and it will even output TTS. There is a huge learning curve, but it is the most powerful program within SmartThings (yes…more than Ask Alexa :)).

As for your idea of additional restrictions, that is certainly possible…I will add this to the list for the next release (before the end of the year probably).

1 Like

Glad you are enjoying the program. The good news is that you are VERY close…

Instead of hitting save immediately after the scheme, enter the slots one at a time, then the utterances. All of these items key off of each other on this page, and if one is missing, Amazon will squawk. Simple adding everything required on the page and you will be up and running!

I don’t care how wrong it is… I love you…

Thank you so much for the advice man, worked a charm!

2 Likes

hehe. Not wrong if everything worked out! Enjoy!

1 Like

Gotcha, I can see that webcore will do most of what I need. If it plugs into AA, all the better!

1 Like

I just added the switch restrictions…It was REALLY easy. So easy that I will release it tomorrow with my Friday update. Really good suggestion and may keep you from having to use WebCoRE for simple decision making within Ask Alexa

1 Like

Great! Now she’s got Mucho Memory.

1 Like

Hi Michael,

I have found where to have ask alexa trigger a webcore piston, but how is the reverse done? i.e. how does an action in a piston trigger an ask-alexa macro? If there’s a link to such documentation, I have not been able to find it. Thanks for any help!

Right now you would you have to do this via a virtual switch. I changed the interface method to Ask Alexa and Adrian (author of WebCoRE) hasn’t implemented the new standard.

Got it, thanks!

One last thing dude…
If changing the invoke phrase from smartthings to whatever, where else do we need to update it?

I think that’s my last step and I’m there :slight_smile: