[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

Hmmm…let me look at the code…may PM you with a revision for you to test…stand by…

1 Like

So I did a little digging. If I am in the Macro for group, I can select the option for switch and on/off/toggle, but I do not get the next selection to say which one. Maybe it is because I do not have any grouped devices?

Everything looks correct…I am curious…if you go to your Amazon developer site and simple type “toggle {macro name}” does it work?

Toogled in the developer site and it worked fine.

Ok. Then the code works. I would now be interested in what Alexa is actually hearing when you verbally issue the command. You can find that in the native Amazon App.

I know it heard the command as it gave me my custom acknowledgement. Why does that Macro not allow the user to select the actual command of on/off/toggle like the command Macro?

I am not clear on what you mean ‘command’ macro…do you mean control macro? If so, the ironic part is this…you are NOT using a command with a control macro…If you try just “Ask SmartThings {macro name}” you are activating the control you put into the macro…it is not accepting any command. My assumption from your description is you set up a SmartThings device and set it to toggle when activated. No matter WHATcomamnd you give it (on, off, toggle, blue) it will ALWAY toggle if that is the command you put in. Device Group Macros, on the other hand, should react to specific commands you give them. And, if the device macro works in the simulator, it will work by voice…IF it hears you correctly.

Can you take this to PM with me as I think we are crossing our wires on terminology. I just tested this by voice on my system again and it does work…It should work for you.

We solved @Kneemuh 's issue… very interesting one using Lutron shades. And another case where the DTH is not sending properly (I.e. Standard) replies to its state…in other words “Open” instead of “open”…case matters :slight_smile:

Anyway, will be pushing 2.2.9e out later today.

1 Like

Trying to get Ask Alexa running for the first time following these directions. After pasting the code from Git into the New SmartApp “From Code” tab I get this error when pressing the Create button:

startup failed: script15004338734381565458098.groovy: 2165: unexpected token: else @ line 2165, column 13. else result = "For a ${grpCtl} device group, you must use an 'open', 'close' or 'status' command. %1%" ^ 1 error

Any ideas on what that error means or advice on how I can get Ask Alexa up and running?

Thanks!

This is what I get for updating via a Chromebook…there was a stray character that found its way into the code. Please recopy the code from here and try again: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThingsPublic/master/smartapps/michaelstruck/ask-alexa.src/ask-alexa.groovy

Let me know when you get this installed.

I’m on my way out the door for work but I can verify that your new code allows me to save the SmartApp. I’ll have to continue the rest of the setup this evening. Thanks for the update and I’ll let you know when I get a successful install.

Perfect…that was my biggest concern. Let me know how it goes or if you run into issues.

I just wanted to stop back by this thread to say thanks for the guidance. Ends up that I hadn’t added ‘battery’ as a macro in the developer slots. - Up and running now.

By the way, the fact that support and development of this app is so active after a year+ is awesome.

I know there are other apps and developers that also have this kind of longevity and track record of offering assistance here in the ST community, but I just wanted to show some appreciation. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words!..Really appreciate them and the moral support for keeping this product going!

I got further but I ran into another snag when I reached the “Testing Your Skill” section. I think there is an issue with my “Interaction Model”. When I filled out the information on that page and clicked [NEXT], it hung for a minute or two (spinning with the loading animation) then it moved me along to the next page; still spinning in the top left before finally becoming a green check mark. Then when I get to the “Test” page I see this message:

Please complete the Interaction Model tab to start testing this skill.

But everything on that page seems to be filled out correctly.

Here are some screenshots

The “Please complete the Interaction Model tab to start testing this skill.” is normal and only indicates you didn’t publish the skill (which you don’t since it has your personal configurations in it.

You should be ready to go…

I’m sure you’re right. I had assumed there was a problem with the interaction model because my test did not work. Then I thought maybe I needed to rediscover my devices in the Alexa app or something and that’s when I realized the problem was my device (an Iris door/window sensor) is not showing up as a device under Alex. I just did some Googling and found this thread that is relevant to my problem. Is there something special I need to configure in Ask Alexa to make it work with this sensor?

Thanks for your help thus far! I’m more of a graphics/front-end guy and don’t know much about how things work behind the scenes but I must say that you’re documentation is very through and helpful. I noticed some of the Amazon UIs have changed since you wrote it so please feel free to use any of my screenshots above if you decide to update it. Here’s another one of the “var” section if you’re interested (looked like the line numbers have been updated).

If the sensor shows up in SmartThings, it should show up in Ask Alexa…However, since there is no ‘discovery’ in Ask Alexa I assume you are talking about the native app? (i.e. NOT Ask Alexa)?

Regarding the documentation, ironically I was going to update some of those today. If I use any of your screenshots I will list you as a contributor in the document.

As always, let me know how I can help.

Welcome to another Friday update. First and foremost, please ensure if you recently upgraded Ask Alexa that you have the latest version (2.2.9e). I have a feeling Prime Day motivated a few new users to pick up an Echo and install Ask Alexa, so it gave me an opportunity to really flesh out some bugs. Thanks to all that sent me reports of bugs and worked with me on testing the fixes.

Speaking of new installs, I am taking the next revision (2.3.0) and am really going through it and updating items that no longer make sense. I received some great feedback that while VERY powerful, the app is still confusing to some, even with the extensive documentation. As such, I am going to focus the next version of interface items. In some areas of the app, options are buried into 3 or 4 levels of menus. This no longer makes sense from a design perspective and I am putting options where they are most relevant. So, for example, if you are using a virtual presence sensor, you can turn on these commands from the device selection area instead of going to Settings>>Device Specific Commands. I did this for the custom options for Ecobee, Sonos, etc.

In other areas of the app I also grouping items that made sense instead of having a long list of items to weed through. This is particularly cumbersome in the Settings area.

Bottom line is I see that Ask Alexa still has a long future, so I need to ensure it continues to be visually and functionally appealing to all of you!

Speaking of the future, I am going past 2.3.0 without PUSH notification from Amazon. I was under the impression it would be released by now, but since it is not I am going to revise my timeline for a few items. Things in particular are:

Primary message queue-All partner apps are now able to use the user-created message queues. However, I have heard from a couple of you that you still like the Primary Message Queue options. Please post here or PM me if there is a real good reason to keep the Primary Message Queue

Speaker Control-For those of you that have followed my work with Talking Alarm Clock know I have a love/hate relationship with SmartThing’s implementation of Sonos speakers. With Alexa soon to have DIRECT control over Sonos speakers I have thought of ripping the speaker control from Ask Alexa. However, I have never gotten a good ‘read’ on how many people use Ask Alexa to control their other speakers (Bose, Samsung, etc). Let me know and this will help me determine how I proceed.

**PUSH notification-**Still waiting Amazon……

2 Likes

thanks for the continued and thoughtful updates…when will 2.29e be available to upload?