[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] Ask Alexa

That’s what I thought, no big deal at all. Thanks again for all your work on this!

I installed this a long time ago. What is the best way to see if I am running the latest version?

Is there a github repo to add?

Also, why wouldnt the harmony hub be in the smartthings devices?

All of the versions are listed in the documentation. As for the Harmony…are you saying it doesn’t show up in SmartThings? Or in the app (Ask Alexa)?

in the app Ask Alexa.

What I really want to do is have Alexa through ST launch a movie on Plex? Or pause a movie? The logitech harmony skills in alexa arent pausing my nexus player or Mi Box.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you. I managed to set up the developer account again with the same user name and password as my Amazon account (it was the password that was wrong) and it worked fine.
The AskAlexa wiki instructions are outstanding and it’s only my own idiocy (and I guess an oversensitivity to duplication of passwords) that meant I went wrong.

I now want to take it to the next stage and get Alexa to make a statement if there is a motion sensor detection. I feel like this is possible and I think it is probably even clear in the Wiki, but maybe I’ve read it too many times and can’t see the wood for the trees. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I think it must be in voice reporting but I can only seem to figure out how to do a voice report when I tell it to don something, not when Smartthings does. Maybe it needs an IFTTT but I think it doesn’t.

Thanks.

1 Like

Alexa needs a voice command. I don’t think there is a way to have a sensor activation cause an action by Alexa.

The Echosistant app might be closer to what you have in mind. I haven’t installed it, but it will send voice messages to echos.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve had a quick look, but EchoSistant seems to need Smartthings connected Speakers. I don’t have any of those right now, I was hoping I could get Alexa to do it. She’s got her own speaker after all. I guess she’ll just have to sit in the corner with a triangular hat with a D on it and think about her life choices.

Unfortunately, there is no way to push a message to an Alexa enabled decide… Amazon still hasn’t released that feature.

I haven’t read all of this thread so I apologize for the question.

Do we need to remove the ST Alexa app to use Ask Alexa?

No…they work together very nicely.

1 Like

I have no idea since I don’t have that device to test it…does the remote show up as simply buttons in SmartThings, or something else? That can certainly be added…I just need to work with someone who has one (or someone would need to donate some money to get me to purchase it so I can test it).

You will not be able to do that with the stock Ask Alexa. Alexas, by design, CAN NOT initiation a conversation or make a statement or noise on their own without a voice prompt. Amazon says they MAY open this up someday, and when they do I will support it…but for now you are limited to linking your Alexa to a Bluetooth device that will respond to actions within your home.

Michael,

I am trying to run the pause command on Plex.

I said Alexa, tell Smartthings to Pause Plex Mi Box

(This doesn’t really work through Harmony: see here
Pause Plex or AndroidTV through Harmony/St and Alexa)

It doesn’t do it and I see an error in the logs

What do you mean in ST? The remote is in Harmony which links to ST via the skill.

The Plex Mi Box has to be added to the slots. Again, I have no idea how this might work as I don’t have any of these devices. I would assume that Plex Mi Box is some sort of virtual switch? If so, it will need to be added to the app, then the name added to the Amazon developer slots. However, if it IS a switch, “pause” is an invalid command for that type of device. Pause will only work for speaker devices.

I know this is confusing, so I hope I am answering your question.

It is a Plex client running on a hardware called mi box. I added it to speakers already, if that is what you mean.

Any device added to Ask Alexa that you wish to control need to be added to the Amazon developer slots. Run the Setting-Setup variables then populate the slots on developer.amazon.com. http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ask_Alexa#Interaction_Model

Looking at your screenshot you will have some difficulty controlling these devices as items like “(” or “)” and with so many things having similar name. I recommend renaming them or setting up some aliases within the app so you can smoothly control these.

I am not seeing the alias options in settings (I have been reading the wiki).

So for all of my devices I have to manually add them into Amazon?

Yes…all devices you want to control need to be added to the developer slots.

1 Like

Also the alias is set up in Settings. Once you turn it on you will see the option on the main interface.