Nighttime problems with Alexa and ST

(Mike S) #1

I don’t know where else to put this, so I guess this is a good place to start.

For the last three nights my Echos have gone non-responsive when asked to take ST actions. In some cases the problems extend to areas beyond ST actions, but not always. Here are the things I can report:

1. This only happens in the evenings, after 7PM or so.
  2. All of my other Internet connected devices continue to work without problems. (Computers, tablets, phones, Streaming video, VOIP).
  3. It sometimes affects my Amazon FireTVs but not always. I have always been able to watch streaming video.
  4. The problem is gone when I get up the next morning.
  5. While this is occurring my modem upload speed drops to almost nothing. Download does not seem to be affected. (100+ MBPS/.4 MBPS). This is observed on both wired Net connection and WiFi.
  6. I’ve tried disconnecting the Echos from Wifi and then reconnecting them. This will solve the problem for a single action, then it comes back. This is what leads me to believe that the problem is either caused by the Echo or connected to the Echo in some way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you think it’s caused by the Echo, contact Amazon support while the problem is happening. They are usually very helpful.

A common problem is that Echo is timing out before SmartThings completes the task. In my experience this is usually related to the ST cloud, but could be your local WiFi.

If you have anything else set up directly with Echo, does it also fail? If so, definitely work with Amazon support. If it’s only ST, contact ST support and let them take a look at it.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

(Mike S) #3

Thanks JD. I just received my new Rachio 3 sprinkler controller. I wasn’t going to connect it to Alexa (why do you need to have voice control for something that you basically program once and forget) but I guess I’ll use it as my guinea pig.