[OBSOLETE] NHL Game Notifications

Obviously #1 is the best choice. But I like the 2nd choice too. That way I only have to setup my hardware once. I think the most choice options need to be around when you want the different parts of the notification.
Like when your not home you can inhibit those parts.

I really like the text notifications when I’m away. They are very prompt and keep me up to date.

I don’t see how modes would work for enabling the sound and light on and text off would work. Just cause I’m home and in home mode doesn’t mean I’m watching the game. I think an external switch that you can personally trigger or turn on allows for more personal control of when I want what.

I personally don’t know how to implement the control of those choices.

1 Like

I prefer 3 as well. I think having some setup that is typical to get the service working is the easiest but then would like to be able to customize each service once created I think would be fine.

I agree that I would like to get notifications still even if you turn speakers or lights features off during certain times. I would prefer not a mode selection only to trigger that as I currently don’t have a I am home but the kids are asleep mode so would want this specific to the NHL notifications features rather than globally across my home automation.

I ran into this last night as I left the house and stopped getting notifications because of the mode change. It would have been great to get the notifications still but not have the horn and lights flashing while I was out of the house.

I would think version 3 would also accommodate the multiple lighting setup that I think would be needed as you may want different behaviours by system.

Thanks for putting this together!

So pondering on this some more as I tinker with smart things stuff today.

Would it be over bearing or too tedious to just have a toggle for each desired item. Say a enable /disable switch for each of Lights, sounds, and sms?

Then a person could use something like CoRe to trigger those enable /disable actions based on their personal desires / triggers. Or could just trigger them manually using whatever smart app and controller. Something as basic as if I push button 1 on the minimote it toggles the enable / disable.

That way it is up to each person to set up and control the output as they see fit.

Just thinking out loud. My 2 cents worth of input.

So I think this makes a lot of sense. Sometimes I forget this is all part of HA and not an individual app … I could setup the child apps to enable/disable features based on a (optional) switch and just let the HA do it’s part in writing rules to turn on/off the switch.

1 Like

Agreed. It could be as simple even as a routine (or CoRE) that triggers it. I could have a Silence Routine that I could tell Alexa to run or schedule it to run at a certain time to silence the sound/lights when the kids go to sleep if you provided an interface each feature within each service to do that. Excellent idea @TN_Oldman and @ejluttmann!

I don’t know about anyone else, but I got no notifications tonight for the Sabres game. I went into the app, changed nothing, hit done, and everything caught up. I know some folks set the delay (I didn’t sit down and actually watch tonight) but it shouldn’t be necessary to run through the smart app before every game, right?

I love the app and am excited to get a goal light to integrate! Thanks again for great work!

I had two setup last night (Pens and Rangers - Rangers text only) and both were giving me updates. It sounds yours didn’t get scheduled prior to the game for some reason … hitting Done will reschedule, so it makes sense it started working after that. It might be possible there is some issue with the logic around the enable/disable notification switch that might be dropping the scheduling prior to the game?

I would be able to setup a switch interface for each feature, and I should be able to automatically add and remove the (virtual) switch devices when needed (preventing you from having to do it manually).

2 Likes

Great job on the app. My Osram lights are color changing and returning to original color perfectly. Goal theme song is a great touch. Thank you for your work on this.

Mike, the Windows 10 on a phone fanboy!

Is this down today?

Not getting any notifications for the predators game?
Was working last night. I opened the app, checked the settings, clicked done.

No joy?

Hmmm … I got push notifications for two different games today.

Also if your having issues, and your able to, it would help if you could provide logging during this time. You can do live logging in the IDE page.

Yeah If I was home I would have done so.

I’ll try try to mess with it some. I obviously broke something somehow?

Are you using text or push notifications? I’ve had some issues with push notifications when away and not good cell reception.0

It was text.

I went in last night and set it up again. I watched in live logging where it activated and set a check for games.

In the current version, if the inhibit switch is on. Will that prevent it from scheduling a check and or inhibit text messages? Or only inhibit sounds and lights?

Just trying to remember how it works.

I do appreciate all your efforts on this.

if you inhibit it, it does effect the scheduling and I think this could be the issue. The other thing would be an assert while running, which shouldn’t happen.

I should probably add a gameday check when it gets reenabled again … however this should be happening once you select Done, so a bit confused why it didn’t start from then on

I’m going with operator error on my part. Possibly it was inhibited when it went to run the check.

Again thanks for the reply and work. I look forward to seeing the next version.

I didn’t get a notification of an overtime goal. Is this because I had the toggle ‘turn off after game’ turned to off on the Game Actions page? /What a weird sentence/

The issue with overtime goal is that it immediately goes to end of game status. I noticed that the other day, I’m going to work fixing that

1 Like

Okay so I looked at the code and it should be attempting a gameday check once it gets re-enabled again. Hmmm.