Next project, Geo arm/disarm and light?

Newbie happy so far.

Have the motion/mutli sensor set up to trip siren upon break. Got the den light on outlet to come on when alrams are tripped too.

Having issues with ST arming itself when everyone leaves or comes back. Noticed yesterday it didnt arm itself once we left. I manually armed it from the car. When we came back it didnt disarm itself, so we set off the siren. What ani missing for the geofencing to arm/disarm on its own?

I do anticipate adding some features to ST like outlets and bulbs. A bit scared of code and how the IDE works. Hoping that the items I want just add easily like the kit/siren did.

Alot of great info on here, a bit of overwhelming, any feedback on what I hope for in bulb/switch installs:

Leaning toward switch for rooms with can lights:

• Each switch will operate 4-6 ceiling can lights. Do the bulbs need to be smart as well? Or can I use regular dumb bulbs? If dumb, do they NEED to be LED? Does it matter for a dimmer switch?

Leaning toward Osram color bulbs/strips for table lights/under counters:
-Thinking of adding a few per room in table lamps, mostly for color mood lighting. Can they be set for different colors in multiple settings? Orange/Red for party time? Hook up to sensors/siren, to turn RED/Strope when sensor is tripped in Alarm mode?

Can these features work as I envision with basic ST app, ,or will I need to learn the IDE, Core etc stuff to get it to work?

Thx

Setup 2 family cells via email invite to the account. I was thinking that once on the account all 3 phones (including mine) are set as presence sensors, and automaticly work off geofencing for arming…

Havent set up a routine via any method…

In the US, thx for the info.

Wow, I guess I did miss a big part, thats what I get for assuming its auto…will look for Alarm Set in Automation and add the 2 routines, Thx.

1 Like

Will read through CoRE info and see if it clicks, signed up with Github as well, dont see how to tie in and see that "Enable Github Intergration option…is that needed as well.

@anon36505037 essentially that is what github integration is doing anyway. github doesnt auto update. you do. just no copy paste. pulls from source at your command

1 Like

auto-disarming problem occurs enough that I suggest you don’t use the siren.

Siren is the main reason I got ST, for a makeshift security, scare off tool.

I guess its a pain if it doesnt disarm…as long as it Arms.

After reading up on CoRE, is it an easy find for the 10 sec delay you refer too?

Ok, great.

How can I get the “Enable GitHub Integration” link on the My SmartApps or My Device Handlers page, currently doesnt show there for setup…

I go to “Update from Repo” and can see “Smartthings Public” list which shows 3 lists to include “New (only in GitHub)”…theres like 37 options in there. Does that mean Github is already setup?

The bulbs versus switches argument has been going on since the very beginning of this forum, and there are passionate opinions on both sides.
:sunglasses::level_slider::bulb:

The short answer is that each has their pros and cons, and you just have to look at each case.

(The argument about cutting power to the bulbs doesn’t really apply since there are several different ways to solve that problem. If you are in the US there are even devices which fit right over the top of an existing switch to give you wall control of the bulbs without actually cutting power to them. But that does mean adding an additional device which adds additional cost.)

Bulbs have their use cases but I struggle to think of many.

There are four main advantages to smart bulbs:

One) you can install them without needing to change any wiring, which is helpful for renters and any specific switch where there is no neutral at the switchbox

Two) you can get one that changes color or color temperature. Color is particularly useful for notifications, as you mentioned. Color temperature is a feature that a lot of people like, as you can go from cool white to warm white and back again at different times of the day or in different seasons.

Three) you can easily take them with you when you go to visit friends or relatives for overnight stays. I myself am quadriparetic, use a wheelchair with limited hand function. Being able to take a Hue starter kit and an echo.to my brother’s house when I visit is hugely helpful for all of us.

It’s also good for families with little kids who have trouble reaching the light switches. If the kids are used to voice controlled lights at home, taking the kit along to grandma’s again helps everybody. :snowman_with_snow::bulb::family_man_woman_girl_boy::mrs_claus:t3:

1. if the light you were automating is a table lamp anyway, a smart Bulb is often easiest. ( there is a UK device for table lamps, the swiidter, but it requires splicing into the lamp cord and is not available in the US)

For some set ups, the switch will be cheaper. For others, a bulb will be cheaper. So that one depends on the details.

I’m not saying don’t get smart switches. If your overhead fixtures have multiple bulbs, the switch will most likely be less expensive than replacing all the bulbs. And most switches default to the off setting if the power is cut and then restored, which many people prefer. And the switches look exactly like conventional switches, which again, many people prefer.

All I’m saying is that sometimes a switch is the best choice and sometimes a bulb is the best choice and you can just look at it case-by-case. But as soon as you mention that you’re thinking about one or the other, in this forum you’re going to get multiple posts from people favoring each side as a general truth. It’s a never ending argument. :wink:

If you’d like to read more about the wall switches that can be used with smart bulbs:

If you’d like to get the details of the bulbs versus switches discussions:

2 Likes

Back to your original questions:

Leaning toward switch for rooms with can lights:

• Each switch will operate 4-6 ceiling can lights. Do the bulbs need to be smart as well? Or can I use regular dumb bulbs? If dumb, do they NEED to be LED? Does it matter for a dimmer switch?

For this set up, I think most people would use a smart switch and dumb bulbs. The bulbs need to be dimmable, but they don’t have to be LED – – they could be halogen or incandescent. Just check the specifications on each switch that you’re considering and make sure it can handle the load of the total bulbs added together.

The smart switches typically come supporting either 300 W, 600 W, or 1000 W, but that will be their rating for Halogens or incandescents. Check carefully if you intend to use LEDs – – because of inrush current, the max rating for those is typically significantly less than for the Halogen/incandescent rating. You should end up with the same number of bulbs, but just check this carefully.

Leaning toward Osram color bulbs/strips for table lights/under counters:
-Thinking of adding a few per room in table lamps, mostly for color mood lighting. Can they be set for different colors in multiple settings? Orange/Red for party time? Hook up to sensors/siren, to turn RED/Strope when sensor is tripped in Alarm mode?

Absolutely, and this is probably the most popular reason for using smart bulbs. (Although not having to do wiring is popular, too.). You can automate the color changes based on all kinds of “triggers.”

At my house, we have a light strip in front of my housemate’s ’ TV. When I specifically come through the front gate, the strip turns light blue. When I get into the house, I turn it off by voice. If the strip comes on blue and stays blue for a while, my housemate knows that I’m probably stuck in the yard. (Rain plus wheelchair, it can happen. :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::disappointed_relieved:). Then he will come check on me.

We previously tried using texts and phone calls, and found that when he’s playing his videogames and wearing his headset, he just doesn’t hear his phone. (Or he ignores it. :wink:).

The light is a persistent notification which doesn’t interrupt him, but still alerts him.

Some community members use a similar colored light system for everything from “the mail arrived” to “the laundry is done.” Things where you don’t want a smoke alarm type alert, but you also want something more than just a text because you want it to persist for a while.

Other people, as you mentioned, just like some colored light effects for parties or even just spooky movie night.

@smart has done a lot with colored lights, he might have more to add.

2 Likes

Thx, plan on giving the bulbs a try soon, will hold off on strips/switches till new home next year. Its cool you can control the color and routine on these through ST : )

1 Like

You can but just to be clear, The standard features don’t do it very well. But there are a number of custom code options which can automate color changing. At this point core is the most flexible, as it’s one of the few which can handle Osram, Hue, and LIFX color changes. Many of the other apps were written by a member for their own use and only handle one of the brands.

1 Like

All my hues are controlled by the Phillips Dimmer Switches (battery operated). You can assign 5 scenes to the on button. For motion related stuff, I have moved on to the Philips Motion sensors.

1 Like

Philips Motion Sensors are really cool and of course you assign scenes as well. The hue app has routines now as well. These are Motion sensor settings.

2 Likes

Thx for all the info, hope to look into CoRE/Github options soon after getting lights.

Any input on Osram vs Hue bulbs, seems pricing is better with Osram?? Does the Osram app work as well as the Hue for separate lighting options, if needed instead of through ST? And do you need to purchase additional hub or does it work with ST hub alone?

Looks like the Arm Away worked, Thx so much!

1 Like