Newly Converting to Smartthings, Need step-by-step help to integrate exisiting Leviton VRCS4-M0Z and Eaton's RFWC5DS Aspire Scene Controllers

I have an existing 80+ device z-wave setup with a few z-wave plus devices, formerly controlled by a Vera Plus controller. After struggling with the stability of Vera Plus over the last several years, the addition of one device corrupted the entire system… so I’m moving to Smartthings-- and so far it has been a better experience, from zwave device exclusion to the app used. Only two of my previous discontinued zwave devices could not be ported over.

In my current setup, I have 2 leviton scene controllers and 1 eaton aspire scene controller.

I’m not a developer, so much of what I’ve read on these forums regarding these two controllers that has been posted over the last few years has been completely over my head. I’ve seen what appears to be tweaking of codes somehow with Smartthings or with the units to make them functional with Smartthings, but I do not understand the exact steps to take to get each of these devices programmable from the Smartthings app.

If there is another option to purchase that may integrate better with Smartthings, please advise also.

Thank you for your time on this, I know that any step-by-step response would be helpful to other non-developers, like me.

-Steve

Welcome! :sunglasses:

Yeah, the short answer is that both of those devices were really intended for a Z wave only set up. And smartthings is a multi protocol set up. So they don’t work out of the box with smartthings because they rely on some Z wave-specific options which smartthings generally doesn’t want to use because then the device will be limited in the other devices that can work with on a smartthings platform and that confuses everybody. :thinking:

Also, both of those devices are old technology at this point, which also introduces some complexity.

So… To get them to work you have to use custom code, and as you may be aware, smartthings is in the middle of a big transition to a new backend platform and a new app and some of the old custom code that worked with the old app doesn’t work with the new stuff. Somebody has to rewrite it, but in many cases the original authors may no longer be supporting it, so…

Yeah, it’s tricky.

Hopefully you will get some responses to this thread from people who are using those devices with the new app, I just don’t recall seeing anybody who had them working yet.

As far as replacements, many of the multi button devices have run into the same issues with the new app. Again, hopefully someone who has something working will chime in.

One option which does work is to use one of the dashboard apps on an inexpensive WiFi phone. This is popular for scene selection. So I’m going to link to a recent discussion thread about those:

Sharptools , actiontiles or native ST app for your wall panel? (2019)

IMG_1242

note: @tgauchat was a developer for one of the third-party dashboard apps and has a number of posts in that thread. Sadly he passed away a few months ago. If you have questions about any of his posts, you can go ahead and reply to them but tag @625alex so you can get an answer.

3 Likes

If you decide to go down the dashboard approach that @JDRoberts mentioned, feel free to tag me or PM me if you have any questions about SharpTools!

3 Likes

Longterm, Aeotec has recently entered a new kind of partnership with smartthings and will be selling an Aeotec-branded smartthings hub in the future, So at that point I would expect the aeotec multi button Zwave devices, including the Wallmote quad, to work with the new platform. But that could be a year away.

1 Like

JD & Joshua,

Thank you for the responses. I suspected that a lot of my 4-5 year old devices were going to need to be replaced in the transition… and the fact that there isn’t an easy patch tells me it’s time to find another solution for these three devices.

I’m not sure I’ve seen the solution that appeals to my minimalist desire. I built my home 4 years ago with a design that hides virtually all technology, but is very much a smart automated home. For example, in an area with a flat screen or projection screen, nothing else is visible but the screen itself. No devices or speakers are visible anywhere in the home… These previous scene buttons kept complex scenes simple, and blended into a decora light space.

The Aeotec pad is interesting, but I’m not sure why they went with a square shape. It’s unique and may work with a contemporary decor, but something that would mount within an existing decora frame would have easy access to power and be immediately implementable for those of us looking for this scene controller button as a next gen solution. If Aeotec is a European company, the design probably makes sense I guess.

1 Like

It’s the same size and shape as a standard EU light switch. :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BG-Electrical-Single-2-Way-Switch/dp/B006K7S6L2/

here’s the link to the custom DTH for the Eatons. Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 and RFWC5D Device Handler [beta release]

I have two of them and they’re fantastic (if you have a DIY heart and don’t mind learning how to use WebCoRE) you’ll have to either use ZWave direct association between the Eaton and devices or use some kind of button handler. (I am ZWave heavy and use ZWave Direct Assn. and use ST to monitor the state of devices and manually update the lights on the Eaton to show state. This way if I lose the Internet I only lose the lights on the scene controller and whatever device I’m controlling still works through the outage.)

As @JDRoberts mentioned, you came in at a weird time, you may implement something only to find you have to change parts of it out over the next 12 months but it’s absolutely do-able.

Also, your design philosophy is almost exactly mine. Hide everything, automation heavy and local processing are high priority.

1 Like

Can you point me to an education source for the process?

What do you intend to have the buttons do? Is it just to control other Z wave devices which are nearby?

That’s one of the complications in this process. The method that @nathancu Describes, Z wave direct association, will work well among Z wave devices of a similar generation.

The other method, a button controller, is where things start to fall apart right now.

These are primarily used to manage my lower level, as there are many types of lighting. I have
the Aspire controller at the top of the steps that triggers these scenes:
- All lights on full (mostly just for cleaning)
- Med-High lighting scene
- Med lighting scene
- Theater lighting (low) scene
- All lower level lights off

There is a Leviton controller in the Theater that also controls the same lighting scenes and a Leviton controller in the Spa / Gym area that adjusts specific lighting levels for the gym and spa area.

Scenes are easy to create on the Smart Things hub… just finding the right button unit to run them… but as you see, I’m not triggering on/off events… just triggering the scenes.

I found this interesting item today in an Amazon search…

It would possibly work for the spa area… as I’m dimming one main set of can lights… But would be interesting to see what the possibilities were… have you seen this unit? https://getorro.com/shop

-S

I hadn’t seen it before, but it’s very nice looking. :sunglasses: That’s essentially the same idea as the Wi-Fi phone, but in a much nicer package. They do have an integration in the new app, but I haven’t heard any hands-on reports about it yet.

BTW, One of the advantages of the new platform is that now it is much easier for manufacturers of Wi-Fi devices to create and distribute their own cloud to cloud integrations. So we are seeing a lot more of these, including the Orro one that you mentioned.

Unlike Zwave, though, these do require that the Internet be working so just take that into account for something like light switches. You do want to make sure that every fixture has at least one switch that will still work even if the smartthings cloud is unavailable. :sunglasses:

JD,

Well, one problem solved… The Eaton/Cooper Aspire 5 button scene controller WORKS FINE with my Smartthings setup… It added the controller, allows full access to toggling the lights, etc. and also easily lets me assign Scenes to the trigger of one of the 5 buttons on the controller using the Smart Lighting Smart App.

No tweaking or custom coding required… What a relief!

I have not yet attempted to add the 2 Leviton Scene Controllers, but this main one at the top of the steps was key to my setup… the other two are just for convenience.

1 Like

I’m snagging one of the Orro units to try out…

1 Like

After you try it, start a new thread and let us know how it works. I haven’t seen any community reviews on it yet, but it’s a very nice looking device. :sunglasses: