New Voice Technology

HeyLexie is an app using Alexa. There will be a lot of these now that Amazon has opened things up. Note that it cannot play music or read audiobooks.

However, the biggest limitation is that it’s using your phone. As someone who is quadriparetic, I have depended on voice technology for quite a while. The echo absolutely blew me away with the quality of its far field recognition. Across the room even with the television on. Nothing else that I’ve seen for under $50,000 compares to that.

You can already have excellent voice control of SmartThings using an android phone , Tasker, and sharp tools. And of course hey Google can handle most of what the echo can do as well. A number of community members have done this, and are pleased with it.

But what none of the phonebased systems can do is match the echo’s hardware. I use both Siri and echo now, for different things. The echo is Miles better on a practical day-to-day use unless you’re actually holding the phone in your hand. :sunglasses:

So it’s always great to have more choices, but any app which is dependent on the phone’s microphone is just a different class of device than echo.

In contrast, Viv ( first post in this thread) is a whole new AI. It’s intended to be embedded in place of hey Google or hey Siri. Maybe even to create a smarter Alexa. I do expect to see a bright future for that one. :sunglasses:

2 Likes