New V3 app will not load on iPhone 5C

The new SmartThings app requires iOS 11.0 so will not load onto my iPhone.

I have received an email to say that -

“SmartThings Classic will be discontinued on October 14,
at which point you will be unable to use or access the application.”

My understanding is that on the 14th all my SmartThings kit will be useless except as paperweights.

Can anyone suggest if they can be used in any other way please?

Thanks

What iPhone do you have? I have a ooooollllldddd iPhone (6s Plus) and iOS 11+ runs fine on it.

I’ve got a venerable 5c, so am limited to iOS 10.3.3 :anguished:

Ouch!

You could add one of the third-party dashboards, like actiontiles or sharptools. They are browser-based so they should continue to run. That would give you phone-based control of your existing devices, but you wouldn’t be able to add any new ones. You could create new rules through sharptools.

On the other hand, I can see not wanting to invest new money in the existing system.

SharpTools has a free tier which limits the total number of things you can do: I don’t know if it would meet your requirements or not.

In any case, one of those might give you time to move over to a new hub if you choose to do that. :thinking:

Here’s a recent discussion thread on the various dashboard options. As I said, I wouldn’t consider this a long-term option, you would have too many missing features, but it might give you some more time to figure out what to do.

Sharptools , actiontiles or native ST app for your wall panel? (2019)

1 Like

If you were just talking about your existing physical devices, depending on the brand and model most of them will be able to be used with a different hub. I know that’s a lot of work and it might not be something you want to consider, but in general the investment in the equipment itself can be salvaged if desired.

Many thanks @JDRoberts

I have just tried SharpTools for a few minutes and it seems to do the trick.
I’ll have a play around with it as well as look at the other links that you suggested.

2 Likes

I’m the lead dashboard developer for SharpTools.io, so feel free to tag me or PM me if there’s anything I can help with!

1 Like