New user Xiaomi/aqara devices

Tried v1.6 but still won’t pair

Got the classic app. My xiaomi sensor just shows as “thing” and continously says “please wait”

OK, and have you installed the specific device handlers you require from the repo so they are listed on your ‘Device Handlers’ page in the IDE and have you published them?

If the device shows as a ‘thing’, the device has been paired but the system hasn’t found a device handler it can match it to so it doesn’t know what to do with it.

Yep I have the motion sensor in device handlers

Ok, now go to the “My Devices” tab, navigate to the “Thing”, click the edit button at the bottom, and make sure the “type” field lists the appropriate device handler. If not, choose the correct device handler from the drop down and then save the changes.

I can’t see the edit option to do it

Not in the app, in the IDE (the window where your screenshot of your device handler was taken).

For some reason there are no devices. I created the device handlers when I had the newer smartthings app

Sometimes the login redirects you to an empty virtual hub/location. Try navigating to locations, select the name of the location where the device handler was installed, select the hub, and then try navigating to the list of devices again.

Are you using ‘account.smartthings.com’ to connect to the IDE? Only some old documentation quotes ‘graph.api.smartthings.com’ and that might not be where you need to be. So you could have your device handlers set up in the wrong place. ‘account.smartthings.com’ should redirect to the right URL for you.

I went on account.smartthings.com and it directed me to the list of devices but no handlers. So confusing. I’ve gone into locations and selected the hub… Then clicked back on device handlers but still non there

Are you sure you selected the correct location, and then the correct hub (in that order)? And after that you want to navigate to “My Devices”, not device handlers.

I believe you need to login to account.smartthings.com and set up the repo and device handlers again. SmartThings works with a number of (generally) regional ‘shards’ (a term used with databases) and your account is assigned to one of them. It seems like you inadvertently logged in to the wrong shard for your account and set up your device handlers there.

Ok I’ve removed all the device handlers and logged onto the account…adresss where my devices are.

Can someone talk me through adding the device handlers again? I can’t see anything where I can add them from github

Can anyone help please?

I know you need to go through the process of linking to Github again but I can’t remember how you do that as it was a long time ago and the instructions I used never did quite match reality.

Use this thread:

Whenever you log into the IDE, be sure you first select the correct location.

Then there’s a Device Handler (DTH) Tab, a Device Tab and a SmartApp Tab.

Copy and Paste the DTH code using the create new code option under the DTH Tab in the IDE. Save and Publish for you.

Use the “Catch All” method described in the thread linked above under the “edit” for those who’s having trouble pairing link. It’s the most realizable method for pairing these sensors.

Good Luck.

Go back to the main device handler page, click on “update from repo”. If that option isn’t there you’ll need to link your GitHub account again first. Once you click on it a drop-down should appear with all the GitHub repositories you’ve added, select “Xiaomi (Master)” which hopefully is the bspranger one. It should then show three lists, outdated, obsolete, and new. In the new list it should have everything you’ve deleted, select the check boxes for the DTH’s you want to add, make sure to select the “publish” check box at the bottom, and then click “Execute Update”.

I’d suggest only using the catch-all method as a last resort if normal pairing doesn’t work after numerous attempts. While it may sometimes be slightly easier it can cause issues later, particularly if the device ever drops off the network for any reason (dead batteries, WiFi interference, repeater loses power, etc). Devices paired normally will often re-pair automatically if they drop off, and even if not they’ll re-pair easier and keep the same zigbee ID which means no rebuilding automations using them and no need to reauthorize the device to smartapps or integrations like webCoRE, Alexa, Google, IFTTT, etc. Devices paired with the catch-all method will not re-pair automatically if they drop off, and will reconnect as a completely new device with a new zigbee ID.

I have 12 of these out of over 150 Zigbee Devices and they were always acting up until I employed this method. Never had an issue since.

YMMV