New Smartthings Wifi subhubs as Zigbee and Zwave repeaters?

Can anyone confirm that the new ST Wifi satellite units act as Zigbee and Zwave extenders?

Reading conflicting information and would really appriciate if someone could confirm or deny this.

Havent seen anything from Samsung on this and to me this would be bigger selling argument than mesh wifi - there are certainly better options for pure mesh wifi.

Tagging @Brad_ST

This article says they do https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001247063-How-to-set-up-SmartThings-Wifi

1 Like

SmartThings Wifi should be on 22.51 firmware and includes the Zigbee/Z-Wave repeater feature for sub Hubs.

4 Likes

What if I have a existing Hub V2 as my main hub. Can i still add a new hub V3 to it as a zigbee zwave repeater?
And what about the app - i am still on the old app.

Can only have one hub. Other hubs do not act as repeaters. V3 and SmartThings WiFi have to be setup with the new app, but then can use both apps.

@Brad_ST, thank you for confirming that satelite hubs will act as repeaters. It will make big difference for us in Scandinavia as our houses are concrete and getting proper signal coverage is always a challenge. This will be a clean solution.

Any estimated date for a release of a Europe version?

P.S @JDRoberts, thank you for tagging Brad. You are always very helpful.

1 Like

I am unsure about an estimated date for release. Releases are typically region specific so your region would likely be handled by Samsung Electronics Nordic.

Is it hard to migrate after adding the Hub to an account? Do I have to setup from scratch for all sensors, light bulbs and other smart devices?

Yes, setup from scratch. There is no migration tool.

1 Like

Been buying all my HA stuff in the UK as they are quite a bit ahead of rest of Europe, so UK release would work fine. If you do hear rumors that you can share without getting fired then those would be appriciated :wink:

2 Likes

I still don’t have firm dates but a UK launch will likely be sooner than Scandinavia.

2 Likes

@Brad_ST - Any update on launch of the Smartthings Wifi in Europe?

The 2018 Hub is available in the UK but no updates on SmartThings Wifi availability.

1 Like

Hi Brad,

Does the 2018 hub (version 3) support more zigbee connections than version 2 or are they the same?

My understanding is that SmartThings Wifi is able to handle more zigbee connections, and that is what I need as I have a considerable amount of zigbee bulbs. From what I have read is that version 2 can only handle around 24 zigbee connections - maybe you can confirm if that is correct?

V3 and SmartThings wifi are two separate devices. V2 can handle 32 direct zigbee connections, 64 for V3. Not sure about SmartThings wifi. Add zigbee. repeaters and you can add many many more.

1 Like

To add to what @Automated_House said, almost all zigbee bulbs are repeaters, so they don’t count against the limit anyway, no matter how many you have. :sunglasses::bulb::bulb::bulb:.

The exception is the Sengled brand, which don’t repeat.

The limit only applies to nonrepeating zigbee devices connected directly to the hub.

@Automated_House and @JDRoberts - Thank you both for the more detailed information.

It is somewhat surprising that this information is not prominent in the product literature as I would think this would be very important to those setting up a whole house system. I have been pretty diligent about reading posts here on this forum and yet I find out that my understanding was wrong.

Again, thank you.

1 Like

I am a current Lowes Iris customer that is about to be out of luck (as you may of heard Lowes is shutting down Iris at the end of March). I have a large property with 3 out buildings and I have about 200 devices deployed across the buildings that I need to migrate / replace in the next 50 days. I have ran Ethernet to each of the buildings via underground pipe.

I am curious with the SmartThings Wifi solution if I put 2 of these devices in each building and plugged all the SmartThings Wifi devices into Ethernet will these devices extend the Zigbee/Z-Wave network over the building to building Ethernet or do Smartthings Wifi devices act like a typical Zigbee/Z-Wave smart plugs and just extend the Zigbee/Z-Wave mesh over the air?

Sorry my first post to the community is a tricky one but I would appreciate the help.

1 Like

The Wi-Fi hub models don’t give you anything more than just plugging any other Z wave or zigbee device in at that location would give you. You have exactly the same zwave or zigbee range as you would from any other device of that protocol. So they don’t extend the Z wave or zigbee range in any way beyond any other repeating device and they don’t give you zwave or zigbee over ethernet.

1 Like