New SmartThings Schema Integration for Arlo

I think you should be able to add it as a camera. We have been asking to be added as a doorbell with camera and button for months now.

@shravan any update on this?

Already tryed all listed Arlo devices…
Doesn’t work either.

Lets see if we get a response from @shravan

1 Like

hi

to clarify, you don’t have an Arlo hub/bridge?
once you onboard through the steps provided above (in the description) all of the cameras should get onboarded which also includes the Arlo video doorbell.
which region (NA/EU/AP) are you onboarding the device from?

I have a video doorbell connected to a Arlo bridge that shows up in the ST app when onboarded.
We shall check to see if we can reproduce the issue when the same device is being onboarded without the Arlo base station.

Edit : I retested the integration onboarding arlo video doorbell as a wifi device only and I was able to see it In the ST app
Please navigate to the linked services > tap on arlo in the ST app to refresh the new device added.

the video and audio doorbell are now supported with the SmartThings - Arlo integration.
Additionally Arlo team have also added the support for the sound and chime events.

Please let us know if you are able to receive these events for the cams and the doorbells respectively.

@shravan as these dont show up as doorbells when trying to add the integration does it mean there is still no support for doorbell presses?

The video doorbell device will be onboarded as camera as it has a video player
When the door bell is pressed an event should be received on the st app which will also show up as a event in the history section of the device

Automation can be setup to listen to the event and trigger another device when the doorbell is pressed

The audio doorbell is onboarded as a doorbell and also supports motion and button press event

@shravan The audio doorbell shows up and looks good, but does not work very well. When motion is detected it does not reset until the next poll that seems to be every six hours.

I have not seen any button events yet

Battery always displays 0 %

If we can get this to work properly, it would be a huge functionality boost for the audio doorbell and make it much more useful.

1 Like

Yes but maybe i want to have an automation that has an if statement of if the button has been pressed 3 times, make an announcement to the person outside through my smart speakers. Why don’t you just add it? Is it so difficult?

Hello.

No hub, nothing else than the arlo video doorbell.
I’m from EU (France).

No change.

Edit: I deleted arlo and redo the integration again by following the first post of this thread.
No change either.

Ok, so I just created a new email on Arlo.
And add it on Smartthings.
Now the doorbell is synced :slight_smile:

1 Like

@shravan, I see a SmartThings app cosmetic homepage difference for the Arlo Base Station Siren. Can the Arlo Base Station ICON and On/Off Status be modified to look like other Siren’s in SmartThings? Because this looks like the Arlo Base Station Siren should be On, when it’s actually Off.

Also, why can’t any Siren’s be shown similar to a ‘switch’ in the SmartThings app so I can toggle them On/Off from the homepage?

With the audio only bell the button the pushed event seems to only work when the silenced option is not selected in the Arlo app. Also I’m not really sure what the Clicked Up event is it seems to be a little random when it goes off. Finally the battery level doesn’t seem to be reported.
Of these the first is the most important to me as I’d like to leave the bell silenced most of the time and use it to trigger notifications on my phone.

Does anyone at SmartThings care about the visual cosmetic difference with how the SmartThings app is displaying various Siren devices in the SmartThings app? The picture is showing two different Siren devices when everything is normal and these Siren devices are both Off, but as you can see, the Arlo Base Station Icon is different from the Zigbee Siren Icon, and it doesn’t show the status as Off like the Zigbee Icon does.

1 Like

Well, they apparently added ‘Sound’ detection at some point recently since I just had SmartThings report that there was ‘Sound Detected’ on an Arlo Camera. I don’t know if it requires that the Arlo app Armed Mode Rule for ‘Detects Audio’ needs to be selected to report Audio Detection to SmartThings, but that’s how it was set when I received it in SmartThings.

1 Like

The 6 hour periodic check does not seem to be working over the last few days for me. I’m using the Device Monitor SmartApp set to 6 hours which has not reported anything in months until it started a few days ago. Even after I’ve turned On/Off the Arlo Cameras via SmartThings multiple times a day. Also, the Arlo cameras do not appear offline in SmartThings. I’m able to control them, and even stream video. It’s just the Device Monitor SmartApp is now reporting that the Arlo Cameras have not reported in over 6 hours. I have to open the linked service to run the background state update to get the refresh/update state to run and then the Device Monitor SmartApp is happy and reports that they are online and reporting again.

Since I control the On/Off state of the Arlo Cameras with SmartThings, I have not yet tried turning a camera On/Off in the Arlo app opposite of the SmartThings setting to see if the cameras state is updated in SmartThings within the 6 hours state update window, but I’m testing that now.

UPDATE:
@shravan, I waited all day and 12 hours after I turned On an Arlo camera in the Arlo app, the SmartThings app still shows that it’s NOT On. So, the 6 hour periodic check is not working at all for me.

UPDATE 2:
It seems that every morning the Device Monitor SmartApp reports that the Arlo cameras are reporting, but 6 hours later they aren’t. So, it looks like the 6 hour periodic check is now happening every 12 hours apparently.

Ok, for some reason everytime I go to my camera device on my smartthings app I get a notification that says we’re having trouble connecting. Check your network connection and try again. I have 2 arlo pro 2 cameras and it just will not let me open the camera and look at the cameras or do anything with them as of right now. Idk when it started doing this but i have deleted the integration and added back and that didnt work. Has anybody had this issue before with arlo and smartthings integration? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all, my apologies on advance about asking whether Arlo’s modes can be changed by SmartThings. I’ve already looked at multiple pages of previous replies and excellent input from the SmartThings tech folks. I probably missed a later input on this, but the only input from SmartThings I could find was by arlo_eng: Adam Developer in Nov 2020: “Right now, mode control is not an available feature in the partner integration. The intent is to drive it via automations. But it may be something we can explore in the future”

Like a couple of others who requested this capability (which was in the original implementation of this integration), I’m OK with interacting directly with Arlo to manage its modes. As a work around, one of my SmartThings’ automations turns on an arm Arlo virtual switch in SmartThings when I leave home, and turns it off when I return. IFTTT then arms or disarms Arlo directly, depending on the ‘state’ of this virtual switch.

I’d prefer to minimize the number of moving parts, and would like to accomplish this just with SmartThings and Arlo, and eliminate the IFTTT middleman.

I would very much appreciate any response whether this capability has already been provided (and how to access it) or whether it’s being considered / will be soon released.

Thanks!

Here’s what I’m doing since the Arlo cameras won’t do anything no matter what Armed mode is set in Arlo app if the cameras are turned Off.

I manage the cameras On/Off state from SmartThings. I have two different Arlo app security modes setup in the Arlo app. One for Armed Stay, and another one for Armed Away. I then use the Arlo app’s Geofencing mode to manage which Armed mode is active in the Arlo app. So I have different camera setups depending on if I’m home or not. I just leave the Arlo app in All Armed Devices since I have SmartThings Automations ‘Turn On’, or ‘Turn Off’ the specific cameras depending on whatever security mode the STHM is in. When the STHM is Disarmed, then all cameras are turned Off and the Arlo Geofencing has Arlo in the Armed Stay mode that won’t do anything since the cameras are Off. When the STHM is in Armed Stay, then just the outside cameras are turned On while the Arlo app Geofencing has the mode set to the Armed Stay mode. When the STHM is in Armed Away, then all of the cameras are turned On while the Arlo app Geofencing has Arlo in the Armed Away mode.

As for STHM Armed Stay though, I also have an Automation so that if any multipurpose sensor Opens when the STHM is in Armed Stay mode, then the Automation will Turn On all of the rest of inside cameras too.

I am wondering if the silent mode on Video doorbell is available for automation. I cannot find this setting when I create an automation for Video doorbell?