New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

Nope. See #4 in the first post.

Thanks. I must have missed that one.

Here’s another I wish I had seen this before!

Updated to the new skill to add temperature sensors not releasing it was a band new integration. Initially most devices worked but some showed up server unresponsive (think that’s the message). Removed the skill, deleted all devices and re-enabled the skill. Now all the ones that worked are back and working. However, the ones that showed server unresponsive are nowhere to be seen. I have discovered that these are all the second endpoint on my Fibaro Double Switch 2 (FGS-223) modules (of which I have a lot of).

@Lars These all use the “Fibaro Double Switch 2 - USB” device handler and have a device id with -2 on the end such as 2C-2

One of these might is the main light I switch with Alexa so this has pretty much killed the functionality for me. Hopefully you can address this ASAP.

1 Like

Solved,

Hubitat is a wonderful thing

How does this solve the current issue? Seems like a lot of work and reprogramming of rules for what seems to be an issue that’s going to be resolved soon.

My Hubitat Hub is always glitching.

1 Like

Glad to know that. I was considering switching to Hubitat.

3 Likes

Hello,

I just want to share my experience with transitioning to new Smartthings skill in Alexa app.

First I started with just disabling the Smartthing Classing skill in Alexa App and then I enabled Smartthings skill. I didn’t delete devices in Alexa app from Smartthings Classic skill, which was a mistake because when you enable the new Smartthings skill you will have a lot of duplicate of your smart devices in the Alexa app. If you made a same mistake as me then my advice for you is that you log in over you laptop or pc to alexa.amazon.com website and then go to Smart Home/Devices and there you will find all your devices that are registed in Alexa App. The way you will recognize the devices from old skill is that description for “old” devices are like this (I will use motion sensor for this example) “Smartthings Motion Sensor” and description for devices from new skill are just “Smartthings”. So find those old devices and click forget and then you will delete all devices from the old app.

Now, second problem I had was that some of my routines were disabled. What I notice was that only routines that included any contact sensor(real or virtual) were disabled so what you need to do there is to go to your Routines in Alexa app and then scroll all the way down and you will see all disabled routines. Now open any routine and under “When” it will say “Device Open/Closed”, depending what was your routine. Click that “Device Open/Closed” and then find the contact sensor that was used for that routine before and you are good to go.

I didn’t had time to discover what the New skill is bringing to the table so if anyone figured something new that this skill is capable please share here.

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes, English is not my first language.

4 Likes

PM:ed you!

I didn’t have this issue. I removed the old skill and added the new. The only duplicates I had were my Phillips hue lights that were originally excluded in the previous connection. I rather have Alexa go directly to Hue than make 2 hops through SmartThings.

1 Like

I wish I didn’t had that problem because it was annoying deleting all duplicates especially if you have a lot of devices.

Besides all the the Hue and meross duplicates, the one problem I’m having is a zooz zen22 in a bathroom not able to be controlled in a group. Controlling the device by itself through the Alexa app works fine, but if telling Alexa to turn on/off the group, everything else works but the Zooz switch.

I’m having the same issue with Fibaro Double Switch 2 (FGS-223) devices - it really doesn’t like presenting child devices to Alexa using the new skill.

The article in the official support knowledgebase has now been updated to say that echo can be used with multiple smartthings locations. (But Google home still cannot be.)

Is that a feature of the new Alexa skill?

Yes, the new skill will discover all your locations.

4 Likes

Another update:

Amazon is looking into the cause of the duplicated devices users are seeing when relinking to the new skill without first forgetting the old ones.

4 Likes

[quote=“Spaka, post:67, topic:191101, full:true”]
First I started with just disabling the Smartthing Classing skill in Alexa App and then I enabled Smartthings skill. I didn’t delete devices in Alexa app from Smartthings Classic skill, which was a mistake because when you enable the new Smartthings skill you will have a lot of duplicate of your smart devices in the Alexa app. [/quote]

I had the opposite problem. I did delete everything from Alexa and now she wont’ discover any devices. She keeps looks for the old skill.

[quote=“dbacks95fan, post:76, topic:191101, full:true”]

Do you find the new skill by search for SmartThings under “skills & games” or do you click the + to add new device and choose hub, SmartThings…

If you do the + route, please try the skill&games instead.

There’s also a link in the first post of this thread directly to the new skill

I had a similar problem with some devices… for example I have some zigbee light dimmer that’s in my living room group in the Alexa app and when I did transition to the new skill I couldn’t control the device by voice(through Alexa of course) but I could go into Alexa app and control the device just fine. So what I notice was that device was registered to Alexa from the old skill and was also put in the living room group when I had and old skill so what I did was I made sure that I didn’t had a duplicate device on there and also I delete that device from living room group and add it again and that worked from me.
I hope that helps.

One observation with the turn on/off lights voice command. I have two devices that both use the default zigbee dimmer DTH. The one that works correctly , right nightstand, has an editable “type” field in Alexa and no entry for color capabilities.

The one that does not work, left nightstand, doesn’t not have an editable type field and does have an entry for color capabilities.

1 Like