New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

Ok so what you’re saying is do everything inside the Alexa app and it takes care of the linking in ST, right?

1 Like

I just removed the skill & deleted everything in alexa. I’m now waiting a few minutes…nervously I must say

Yep. Exactly

Ok it’s done. So far I have 2 of everything in the alexa device list but not in alexa.amaxon
Com. It didnt pick up my motion sensors & a scene with door lock included…it dodnt take

All correct but and a BIG but, goto alexa.amazon.com and remove all devices there after unselecting everything in the Classic App and deleting the skill there.

When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING!

1 Like

I’ve migrated to the new alexa skill but I am holding off on triggering any alexa routines with smartthings virtual switches. From what I’ve read here, and from my own little bit of testing, there is indeed a decent amount of delay between the virtual switch opening (or closing for that matter) and the alexa routine, triggered by the virtual switch, actually executing. I’m waiting to see what the lite version of EchoSpeaks looks like or if I’ll just have to do everything in webcore.

I don’t get it… Back in April at the beginning of this thread ST was claiming that the new skill should not cause dupes and people were confirming that. What happened?

So I’ve started the process, had to take a day off work to do everything - so far I’m 4 hours in and still nowhere near finished updating everything.

I thought I was being prudent by screen shotting every group, routine and device I had within the Alexa app so I could re-build easily, but what I forgot to account for was how many devices I had re-named in Alexa, which means I’m now looking at my captures, then trying to work out what the associated device should be and it’s a painfully slow process.

But, alas, looking forward to having a new perfectly working ‘upgraded’ skill off the back of it…

…oh wait.

What an absolute joke this is.

7 Likes

Ok, still going (7 hours in now…), now trying to fix everything that now has a duplicate name, by giving them different names in Alexa. Couple of tips to note:

1. If you want to replicate your scenes and devices exactly as they were with the ‘old’ skill, go to alexa.amazon.com then click devices/scenes and sort them alphabetically and then print to pdf (Chrome will auto scroll and pick up every device you have).

Then, once you’ve linked the new skill, go back to alexa.amazon.com and sort the newly linked devices/scenes alphabetically. Then open your pdf and note the differences between the two, and remove the devices you don’t want to share.

1. Screenshot all of your routines and groups for when you have to re-build them.

2. Screenshot what you share with Alexa in the old Smartthings Alexa App.

3. Make note of any device name changes in Alexa as you’ll need to remember what the original device was when it comes to setting your routines back up.

4. Die a little inside when you realise how much time you’ve just wasted sorting all of this out. Thanks Smarttings.

4 Likes
  1. Realize you just wasted your time when you need to run discover again.
3 Likes

Oh yes, I accidentally deleted a scene I needed having just deleted all of my unwanted devices, had to run discovery again and bang, everything was back. Yet another reason why we need to be able to select devices!!

Yes make sure you disable, don’t delete or they will just keep coming back

This is a duplicate Kasa device, at the toggle at the bottom set it to “disable”

1 Like

It appears that the disabled devices can still confuse Alexa if they have the same name as other devices. Or even a group name. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Oh boy, what a mess

4 Likes

@RBoy I upgraded to the new alexa skill yesterday & since then I’m having an issue with my schlage lock. I tell alexa to lock my door she does & let’s me know its locked but after the new skill most times she will lock the door but doesnt let me know its locked. I’m using the universal dth & lum. & had no problem before the skill upgrade. Only thing I notice is in the alexa app, it seems to hang when I hit lock or unlock…it seems like it’s not getting the information from smartthings. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Dom

My sensor-based routines were working with a 5-10 second delay 5 days ago. Now they don’t seem to be working at all.
Reading that some are experiencing delays up to an hour makes me nervous - since that means my shower may turn on when I’m not nearby or even home. Moreover, why are we not all experiencing the same delays/functionality?

When asynchronous messages are processed by multiple clusters of compute nodes across multiple clouds with network transmission in between, the timing of any results are, by design, unpredictable.

1 Like

With a spread of 4 seconds to an hour to never? That doesn’t seem right.

1 Like

If you click on linked services in ST app , then click on Amazon you will notice there is a toggle to allow all devices,scenes and routines. If you turn this off you are allowed to pick and choose your devices etc. Not sure if this matters but I’m on beta 32.6 firmware

I think you might still on the old Alexa skill. If you go in to the Alexa app, what smartthings skill is enabled? Smartthings classic? Or smartthings