New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

Your link doesn’t indicate any of the functionality in your quote.

1 Like

The functionality in my quote was everything that worked in the Alexa skill prior to ST changing the skill. Thus breaking original functionality. Also, The current skill, as I have read, does not fully integrate with ST scenes or locks or virtual switches. Therefore, what they are advertising as "works with Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Amazon Tap, is actually not true at all.

Many people may have bought into ST because of its full integration with Alexa as advertised. That integration is now broken.

1 Like

Argh. Don’t have time to read 100’s of posts. I’ve been clinging to the classic app because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. However it sounds like we are being forced to migrate soon so I just migrated to the new app. In the app everything looks OK - it seems to have pulled over all my scenes and routines just fine. However, when I enabled the new Alexa skill I lost ALL my devices, and they don’t show up when I try to to discovery. What the heck? The voice control is THE killer app for smart home control. What is going on here? Am I missing a step to be able to see all my devices in the Echo app? I can’t for the life of me find a setting I’m missing.

You’ll have to use the new “linked services” under the NewApp settings. That should reconnect everything. You’ll have to re-create all routines in the Alexa app though.

I did that. Shows that the Amazon Skill is enabled and linked. Still nothing shows up in the Alexa app. Also now having problems w/the new ST app … most of my scenes disappeared. No idea why. And under the home monitor, it keeps flipping between saying I have no sensors (when I actually do), or showing that everything is OK. Clearly they are having lots of issues. I sure hope my scenes come back 'cause it would be a pain to have to recreate them all. Sucks that I’ve lost all my Alexa routines. I gotta say, samsung is doing a great job of pushing me to a different platform. Hubitat is looking really good right now.

(I have tried to discover devices multiple times in the Alexa app. Comes back with zip)

1 Like

Hi @jamesonrw,

We have heard a lot of the feedback in this thread about the ability to select devices which will work with our new voice assistant integrations. We are actively working on a device selection solution, however it will not be ready before the end of migration. We understand that this is an important feature for some users, but we also must move ahead with this migration to support the broader reliability of the SmartThings platform by moving away from legacy systems.

As we continue developing this device selection solution, we will be inviting members from the community to beta test the feature before it rolls out to all SmartThings users.

On September 8th, the legacy SmartThings Classic Skill will stop working and be removed. Users that do not migrate to the new skill by September 8th will no longer be able to control their SmartThings devices with Alexa. To continue controlling your SmartThings devices with Alexa, you will have to enable the new SmartThings Skill.

4 Likes

PM me your Samsung account email and I will see if I can figure out why you wouldnt get your devices in Alexa.

Hi @JasonM -

When will the new Alexa skill start supporting Alexa/Echo devices as speakers in the ST app?

Thanks!

1 Like

Would LOVE to be able to send announcements to Alexa/Echo devices via an official, native, supported SmartThings solution.

1 Like

I genuinely can’t believe what I’m reading here…

Are you seriously telling us you are going to push thousands of users over to a broken Alexa skill come whatever may?

Surely you can just push it back a couple of weeks until the issues are sorted out and people can select devices again?

…and what about your support services? They are just going to get absolutely flooded with enquiries on top of everything else just going on.

This is an utterly awful decision from ST if true… The current skill is not fit for purpose and certainly shouldn’t be meeting the ‘definition of done’ for any product owner, so why the hard cut-off?

I’ll say it again, please, please, please just listen to your customers and just suspend this forced migration for a couple of weeks until this is sorted.

Thank you. @Lars @JasonM

10 Likes

Why?
(10 chars minimum, so I’ll repeat: Why?)

10 Likes

Agreed…no need to move until the skill is fixed.

7 Likes

Anybody else experiencing this? -

I’m able to control devices connected via Smartthings in the Alexa app, but when attempting to control them by talking to an echo device, it says “The skill linked with ____ is not enabled. Please enable the skill.” The skill is definitely enabled, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to control the device in the app. I’ve even tried disabling the skill, deleting Alexa from my Smartthings connected services, then re-enabling the skill (pain in the butt) but that also didn’t work. Curiously, Alexa routines can control my devices connected via Smartthings, but I don’t want to make a routine for each individual device.

What command are you using with Alexa?
What naming structure are you using?

“Alexa, turn on Sally” This is a smart light bulb named “Sally”

See above.

This is very unlikely to happen any time soon, since Amazon does not have an official TTS API that I am aware of. The Alexa Skill for home automation devices does not support sending TTS requests to Echo devices. This is Amazon’s decision, not ST’s.

Ok, but there must be some mechanism since the Echo Speaks smartapp provided that capability until the arrival of the new Alexa skill.

1 Like

EchoSpeaks still provides that capability, and has absolutely nothing to do with the arrival of the New ST Alexa Skill. If your EchoSpeaks instance stopped working recently, it is most like because Amazon forced you to change your password. But, since EchoSpeaks is going away in 7 days, I wouldn’t worry too much about fixing it. Just wait for the EchoSpeaks-Lite version.

EchoSpeaks uses an undocumented, reverse-engineered API to masquerade as a web-client to alexa.amazon.com. Amazon could shut EchoSpeaks down at any time. To be honest, I am surprised they haven’t already considering the amount of excess traffic it must be generating on the amazon servers. SmartThings is not about to use an undocumented API to access Alexa. Thus my skepticism that it will ever happen (unless Amazon opens up an official API. :wink: )

7 Likes

Was this only today? There was a SmartThings issue for a few hours in the Americas that caused various problems

I must say, I’m kinda pissed at this. I’m unimpressed ST.

10 Likes