New smart app to link the virtual/simulated garage door device with two actual devices

Not sure why you would do that. There is an option in the app… Just set push notifications to “no”

Because the way that feature works in the SmartApp is all or nothing. I do want to be notified when someone in the home (say my wife) opens the garage door via Alexa , but not when the garage physical button is pressed. Why? Because, I am monitoring that the former always works as intended, the latter I know it always works.

try this, the defaul is no message, unless something gets mixed up like a door jamb

Cool! Thanks!

Is there any benefit to update to this version from the one in the original post if i do not have a gate or need for a second switch?

Or second sensor
Only other change is notifications original is everything or nothing , with my version when sent to nothing it does still send message if there is a problem eg jamb with door

ive updated the code, of the app,
you can now set a lag/dew between pressing the button and then the app actualy sending the close command to the door so that a warning or other notifcation can be played befor the door moves

@mark_cockcroft Do I need to use all 3 codes:

1. lgk-virtual-garage-door.groovy"

2. simulated-gate-opener.groovy"

3. simulated-garage-door-opener.groovy

I do not have a gate to open and close, only a garage door. I am new to smartthings and trying to figure this out which each of the 3 codes do.

Also, will this code activate a flashing light and buzzer for warnings before the garage door opens or closes?

Number 3 and one of the others depending on gate or garage

No on the flashing/buzzer. Have to use another app and subscribe to ‘door’ events

Which isn’t very supported

Is it possible to incorporate the light/buzzer code from the Konnected version of the smart app. Dropbox - Virtual Garage v 3.1.txt - Simplify your life

They are nice safety features to have and are required for unattended garage door operation in the US.

Yea, do you need buzzer / light for opening?

According to Product Safety Commission (10CFR1211) they are needed for unattended closing. See 1211.14 on Page 11 here: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2016-04-07/pdf/2016-07552.pdf

@dman97 & @Stills00
Updated to select closing warning devices and done some code improvments/simplifications, have a test an let me know

I dont have any devices with tone cabiability so cant test that bit

I just installed it, the light and buzzer work. I will let you know if there are any issues after further testing. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Thanks to all the great work from @Lgkahn and @mark_cockcroft

This is my first smart things implementation and I’m having a blast. I’ve read thru the thread and can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

I am using a raspberry pi with garage sensors that is triggered from a generic URL. For the contact sensor, I am using the smart things multi-sensor. I figure I’ll document the steps I’ve taken and hopefully someone will see a step I missed or did incorrectly and help me resolve.

• I created a Simulated Garage Door Button device type
  1. Add the HTTP Button Device Type to the IDE (I’m using this device handler)
  2. Publish the HTTP Button Device Type in the IDE
  • Create the Simulated Garage Door Button Device
  1. Create the Simulated Button Device in the IDE
  2. Open the mobile app, and edit the Simulated button settings to define the URL and action variables
  3. Trigger the button in the mobile app and confirm that the URL is being called to the PI, and the button is actuated (this also confirmed that the call is coming local from the hub, and not from the cloud), the garage door opens or closes, and the sensor confirm that it now opened or closed.
  4. in the mobile app, moved the button to the room with the garage room to keep things organized
  • create the Simulated Garage Door Opener Device Handler
  1. Back in the IDE, using the code in this thread (I’ve used both the original, and the modified version by @mark_cockcroft, I create the DH
  2. Publish the DH in the IDE
  • Create the Simulated Garage Door Opener Device
  1. Go to my devices in the IDE and create the device
  2. In the mobile app, I see the device created, but there is no settings menu item yet
  3. in the mobile app, i move the new device to the garage room
  • Create the Smart App
  1. In the IDE, i create a new smart app using the code in this thread
  2. I publish the smart app for me
  3. In the mobile app, I add a new smart app, and select the new LGK Virtual Garage Door App
  4. this is where I’m stuck.

When I try to install the App, I just get a screen that says “processing” with a spinning wheel. I’ve waited 15+minutes w/o resolution. Eventually I have to kill the mobile app, and when I open it back up, the LKG Smart App is there, but when I click on it, I either get a network communications error, or back to the spinning wheel.

Can anyone see an obvious mistake or something I’m doing wrong? Appreciate the help from everyone.

edit: I am able to get the simulator to work in the IDE, and it allows me to set the devices, and clicking the buttons actually actuates my door, i just can’t seem to get the smart app to install in the mobile app.

Not sure what to say, open the ide and look at live logging, then try the app again in the mobile app.

I don’t use ST anymore but the app starts up ok for me still

hmm, no activity in the live logging. I’ll keep poking around. thanks.

it seems like there may be a problem with the Smartthings app on Pixel 3 and Pixel 2 devices, maybe all of Android 10? I also had a problem connecting my Leviton devices, so I tried the legacy app and it worked, so I also tried to add the smart app there, and it worked as well. :man_shrugging: