(EDGE Driver-Mc): Z-Wave Sensor and Child Thermostat Mc

@BartschLabs

The profile has all the stock capabilities of the thermostat and the category is thermostat.

The vid has a multiple tile and the main group is a custom capability it may have something to do with it.

What happens because sharp tools does not detect it as a thermostat?

Sorry, my mistake. I was using the old SharpTools authorization list in the SmartThings app under Automation.

I went to my account web page, Manage Connections, Samsung SmartThings, Allow “SharpTools” to access these things, and the device now shows up and functions correctly in SharpTools.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! If you’re not using the legacy Groovy integration anymore (eg. with the Tasker Plugins), you can remove it to avoid any confusion going forward. :slight_smile:

I was wondering about that. The Tasker Plugins will be dead anyway when Groovy is shut down, right?

Yes. They were removed from Google Play at the start of August, but should keep working until SmartThings fully shuts down Groovy in December.

1 Like

@Mariano_Colmenarejo, together with SmartThings or SharpTools automations, this edge driver will suffice as a replacement to the Groovy-based Virtual Thermostat With Device.

I’ve been using Virtual Thermostat With Device to very simply operate three room heating systems out of space heaters (or a natural gas fireplace) and temperature sensors. Very safe, very effective.

I’m wondering if you can consider adding one piece of functionality to the child thermostat device. Add a setting for which SmartThings device to operate as a heater (or cooler) and then add the code to turn it on or off based on thermostatOperatingState. Perhaps the latter is not possible due to limitations with Edge. If it is possible, it would eliminate having to create and maintain automations for this use case.

I’m not claiming that I wouldn’t need any automations for my room heating. I do have automations that set the thermostatMode to off:

• after x minutes of motion inactivity
  • when arming my home alarm

It would just reduce the number of automations I have to maintain – or recreate in case of failure/mistake.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Sorry, I don’t understand what you want to tell me.

This thermostat has the necessary code to detect if it needs to cool or heat according to the cold and heat setpoints entered.

If you use any heat+cool mode:

• With the Heating or Cooling events of thermostat state capability you can activate the heater or the cooler.
  • With the Pending Heat or Pending Cool events of thermostat state capability you can turn off the heater or the cooler.

With thermostat modes with customizable presets (Auto, Asleep, Rush Hour, Away, Eco) you can change the hot and cold set points with a simple routine.

If you use the Heat mode, it only emits the Heating and Pending Heat states
If you use the Cool mode, it only emits the Cooling and Pending Cool states.

There are more capabilities (Fan cycle…) that can be used to make routines.

The routine limit has been raised to 1000 routines and scenes.

I don’t know if this comes close to your needs

Yes, this thermostat has an impressive number of abilities. You did great work in delivering them.

When I use the term “automations”, I mean “routines”.

I would like to not have to use a routine to turn on my heater device. Could the thermostat devce be made to send the on or off command to my heater device directly?

Hi @BartschLabs

Edge drivers cannot send commands to devices that are not on the same driver.

If you use routines to control a zigbee or zwave switch the routines will be local and will run even if the internet or the smartthings server fails.

If you use a smart app like groovy or now, it will not run locally.

I have programmed the temperature presets in preferences for all modes.
I use 3 routines to change modes daily if the thermostat is not locked:

• At 9 am Auto mode
  • At 2:30 pm rush hour mode
  • At 11 pm Asleep mode

2 routines that turn the boiler on and off when ordered by the thermostat.

I don’t have to touch anything all winter, it works automatically, except when I go on vacation or I’m away, when I have two routines that put the Away mode on and lock the thermostat until I get home.

Total 8 very simple local routines.

The alternative would be to buy a physical thermostat with relays and do all these functions with its internal firmware.

1 Like

This answers my question. Thank you.

Thank you also for the routines examples and screenshots.

These are SmartThings routines that I have found to work:

• Turn on the heater when the thermostat state is heating
  • Turn off the heater when the thermostat state is “pending heat”
  • Turn off the heater when the thermostat state is “idle”

I use SharpTools rules which can combine the second and third into one rule.

2 Likes

You don’t need to use Sharp tools to do this.
With a simple routine you can do:

@Mariano_Colmenarejo, I don’t see where your routine turns off the heater when the thermostat state is idle.

@Mariano_Colmenarejo, I have a different problem which has been happening since the beginning. Humidity is not being displayed from my multisensor. Should it be?

@Mariano_Colmenarejo, I have another request.

I own 2 Oomi Multisensors from fantem.com, which are basically Aeotec Multisensor 6’s. When I try to delete one and readd it to SmartThings – so that it picks up the Aeotec edge driver – it gets readded with the DTH. I suppose that’s because it’s reporting with a different mfgr code.

Here’s its string:

zw:L type:2101 mfr:016A prod:0102 model:0064 ver:1.06 zwv:4.05 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,59,85,73,71,84,80,30,31,70,7A,5A`

Here’s a real Aeotec’s string:

zw:L type:2101 mfr:0086 prod:0102 model:0064 ver:1.10 zwv:4.54 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,59,85,73,71,84,80,30,31,70,7A,5A

I’d like to use your driver for this device. Is this something that you can add to your driver so that it’ll be discovered?

@BartschLabs

The humidity is not shown, it is an error of the first version. If you clear the app cache it should go away.

In the future, if everything works well, I may implement the profile with humidity for the devices that support it.

Added as Aeotec multisensor 6 in this driver version. Try it

──────────────────────────────────────────────────── 
 Name         Z-Wave Sensor and Child Thermostat Mc 
 Version      2022-11-14T09:29:29.053444128
  - id: "016A/0102/0064"
    deviceLabel: Oomi Multipurpose Sensor
    manufacturerId: 0x016A
    productType: 0x0102
    productId: 0x0064
    deviceProfileName: aeotec-multisensor-6
1 Like

That caused it to be discovered.

If I’m having trouble with functionality of one or more of the sensor’s capabilities, would I ask on the z-wave sensor thread and get them to fix it there? For instance, motion detection is not working probably because one of the sensor’s many settings is not exposed for me to set in the device in the app.

Update: Never mind. I found another of your excellent edge drivers that allows me to set z-wave settings not exposed by the usual drivers.

It did not.

Hi @BartschLabs

Then I will modify the driver.
sorry, I forgot to add the fingerprints to send the initial configuration and the two preferences parameters of profile. :man_facepalming:
That may have caused it to not work well, although it should have kept the configuration it had with the DTH.

Update: Initial Configuration and preferences fixed in this version

Name         Z-Wave Sensor and Child Thermostat Mc 
 Version      2022-11-15T09:47:25.441726399
1 Like