New Official Integration: Samsung Multiroom Audio

OK @dckirker , update on my situation.
ST app 2.0.2 android…
A few things to be noted, and a few things you might want to forward around the office.
–The firmware update on the M7 fixed the “sonos notify with sound” not working issue, working speaker firmware was: 3014 on the M7
–Adding the device via marketplace, things, ST recommends, speakers, Samsung… does not work.
–Adding the device via marketplace, things, entertainment, speakers, Samsung… does work.
–The firmware update will fail from the sami app if the device is already included in ST prior to the update being applied, the firmware update must be applied via the sami app prior to being added to st. The instructions and FAQ should be updated to reflect this as the firmware update takes F O R E V E R even on ethernet, and doesn’t fail until the very end.

1 Like

I have 2 M3’s, 2 M5’s, and one of the tube amp soundbars that I connected to ST. I’m kinda confused about what I can really do wit this. My Soundbar seems to respond to only volume related commands. The M series can be hit and miss. sometimes they will play/pause, and other times nothing seems to work. I have them connected through 2 hubs, using auto for the wifi frequency. I’d love to be able to play music from my phone from ST. It’d also be nice to see some of the sources in ST, but i know thats more of a long shot.

I just wanted to know - With the Samsung speakers 3x M5’s (without the hub) am I am to use smartthings or even the samsung app to play music to all 3 at once? Or from Smartthings play a TTS notification to all 3 and individual speakers on their own?

Sorry I know the question is vague, but I haven’t brought the speakers yet, this is just me trying to work out if the Samsung speakers will do what I assume the Sonos one do.

The only other deciding factor in this is the price. PLAY 1 is £169 over here (entry level), but the Samsung M5 (mid range) is cheaper at £149.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The samsung app will allow you to group the speakers together. I use it fairly often in my home. You can even group them with a sounder for surround sound. The app also connects to a very large number of music services, so plenty of options. Its not perfect, but samsung has done a fairly decent job with it.

In ST though, I can’t really figure out what the purpose is, as I can’t open any media. I can mute and unmute speakers but thats about it. I don’t ahem any media options, I can’t change inputs, but I can track volume levels and whether or not its muted.

I control the M7’s through ST for notifications using Sonos notify with sound. Both mp3 clips and TTS work.

This is what I wanted to know. Thank you. Wondered if there was a notification app that worked with it.

Also can someone please confirm for me, can I play to more than one speaker without the use of the Samsung Bridge/Hub thing? My aim is to play one single track throughout the entire home to either all or certain groups of speakers?

Thanks

Hi all. Brought the speaker today, buy having trouble getting it to play anything via the notify smart app. It changes the volume as instructed but no sound or notification…

Also unrelated to smarthings. The speaker, Is there a reason why it’s not being detected as a dlna device on my network on other hardware? I can go to my sisters connect to her wifi and play to sonos via the standard media player, however when I do that at home, the media player app doesn’t detect the speaker?

How’s the lag using notifications on the M3? I’m just looking for the cheapest reliable way to implement audio notifications for smartthings in 2 different rooms, i.e. “xyz door has been opened” or “someone has arrived”.

I tried Obything and VLC Thing on my media server, but announcements are either too delayed or they get partially cut off. Open to other ideas as well!

I purchased a m5 and m7 from Amazon and the lag is pretty big and notifications are buggy. I thing they’re is something fundamentally wrong with smartthings messing with tts and dlna resulting in issues that go across samsung, nose, and sonos.

I have an M5 which I brought for intergrating with ST. I get the notification and pre-made TTS messages.

The only disappointment I have come across with the speaker is that although it states its DLNA, its not.

I cant find the speak on my Wifi network from Android or other DNLA devices.

So i broke down and bought a Sonos Play:1. Works beautifully with very little lag for me. Notifications are probably 1-2 seconds off from actual event triggers.

When I used VLC thing & Obything, there was always a bad delay of anywhere between 5-20 seconds to my Mac Mini (wired same network) and over half of the time part of the MP3 would get cut off. After testing extensively, I think the issues for me were OSX related and not a smartthings, Obything, or VLCthing issue. I tried running custom applescript to trigger notifications directly outside of smartthings and ran into the same issues.

When you’re saying everything is working perfectly, are you able to play a notification and then continue and resume music?

Mine does. However I have to be playing music from the Samsung app first. Then it pauses while an smartthings notification is played then resumes the music from the samsung app.

Note for this though. YOU HAVE TO BE PLAYING MUSOC VIA THE SAMSING APP FOR IT TO RESUME MUSIC PLAYBACK.

Yes, we play Pandora using the Sonos Mood Music smartapp via virtual switch through Amazon Echo. Notifications work fine pausing first, notifying, then resuming the station.

Haven’t tested by starting playback outside of smartthings first though, like Dean. Only tried through the Sonos Mood Music app.

I’ve got this partially working but there’s an irritating bug.
I’m watching TV and the sound is coming through my HW-H750 soundbar, via ARC over HDMI so the Soundback is set to “D.IN” channel.
Next, my kitchen explodes in a shower of water (don’t worry, I’m merely creating an illusion) and my moisture detector picks it up. “Smartthings has detected a flood” is the message that gets played over the soundbar. Great! However, the Soundbar now stays set to the “WiFi” input channel and no sound comes from the TV.

Obviously, if my house is actually flooding this is not a huge problem - but if it was a less urgent sound notification (the fridge has been left open, there’s a knock at the door etc) then it’s going to get annoying scrabbling around for the soundbar remote to put it back onto the D.IN input all the time.

Any solutions? Can Smartthings be taught to learn the current input, and then change it back once the notification has played?

Do you have speakers grouped or single? Ive noticed decent success with single speaker, but if playing to a group the group play list is lost.

I have connected a Samsung H750 soundbar and it connects without the need of the Samsung WAF250 hub. I am using the ST Hub v2 and it communicates over WiFi with the Soundbar. I also have custom announcements working with no issues so far.

The issues I am having are:

1. Music will not resume if a ST notification is played. I have even tested it when music is playing via the Samsung MultiRoom App and it does not reconnect.

2. If a notification plays it leaves the Soundbar in Wifi Source mode. If you are watching a show in Plex then the notification will play but when the notification ends it will not change the Soundbar back to TVConnect source to resume the movie volume. Even if I go into my harmony hub and change hte source it will not connect until I reset the entire connection.

2 Likes

Exactly my setup, and outcome so you are not alone.
The H750 sits on the “WiFi” input after the notification has played so I’m reluctant to use it, each time I get a notification I need to find my remote control.
Changing of source is possible via the app, so I’m hoping there’s a way we can have a “when finished, change mode to…” option.
Just needs someone from Samsung to talk to someone from Samsung :wink:

2 Likes

@pillock When you say via the app you are referring to the ST app correct?

I use the SmartTiles Dashboard the majority of the time so my thought was to setup a button that changes the source back to TVConnect for me. When you change the source back does hte volume work right away? So far mine will not work until I restart the app i was using. E.g. in my case it is either plex or songza playing via chromecast.

I only have a single speaker right now for Sonos. I use it mostly for notifications only. Sometimes for breakfast music and morning weather. Been running for about a week now and only 1 notification got cut off because it was back to back with another notification (oddly it was the second notification played that was cut short). Apart from that it’s been working great.

Wish Amazon Echo could be used as a speaker for notifications, then I’d probably swap out everything.