New Official Integration: Samsung Multiroom Audio

Has there been any real action on this over the past year ? Adding more compatible speakers ? Trying to plan out my holiday shopping ( for myself ) and noticed that these speakers have come down to almost affordable and am assuming there will be some good holiday deals on them.

@Tyler As you can see a lot of people have these Samsung multi room speakers, and keep asking questions, with nothing forthcoming, I’m beginning to think the reason for this is a commercial strategy, to leave people in the dark.
1, HOW exactly is this an “official integration”? Who decided this? Because there is now a play/pause button and volume slider?
2, Why doesn’t the song name/radio station show up like it can for Sonos speakers?
3, Why, each time I give this “official integration” another chance, and add my speakers, do the play and stop button become out of sync with the Samsung Multi Room app? So you hit stop, the music stops, then 5 seconds later the music starts again, and you have to press stop again, Why? Yet when I disassociate the speakers from SmartThings, the app behaves normally again?
4, AND why do the speakers occasionally either disconnect, ungroup themselves, or specifically Tunein radio fails with the eternally spinning logo.
5, Why do TTS messages on the speakers break the connection with what’s playing beforehand, and yet the Sonos speakers can resume the previous playing selection? And what’s the point of the ST app entry “resume playing”, if this doesn’t work?
6, Why are the Sonos speakers able to have 6 preset favourite channels, and yet the Samsung Speakers aren’t able to do this? When Sonos is a different company? But the Samsung Speakers are made by the same company that makes SmartThings, and it has “official integration”.
7, Other DNLA speakers can create virtual switches, with favourite playlists, and have them trigger by sensors or echo, and yet these Samsung Multi Room speakers can’t?

So I’m assuming these things just aren’t possible, and never will be, as these Samsung Speakers don’t have the physical hardware to do these things, as you would of implemented them by now. What do you suggest @Tyler, that I persevere with these speakers, or do you recommend starting from scratch with another brand like Sonos? Be honest.

5 Likes

You have managed to cover my exact thoughts regarding these speakers. I got an R5 and R3 recently and had great hopes for this as well. Have been terribly disappointed with this “official” integration and I’m considering returning them. I’ll keep hope alive a little longer, but the silence has been deafening.

1 Like

I don’t have the answers to all of your questions, but we’re about to start our testing for the next version of this integration which offers some major improvements. We’ve been working closely with the Samsung speaker teams to raise the quality level.

3 Likes

Hello Tyler

Im really hoping integration will improve, because i love the speakers.
Please let us know, if you need beta testers…i would be happy to give things a try and assist.

1 Like

I have to agree with the sentiments above. I had such high hopes for these but I’m still left disappointed. I look forward to the next version, I hope it’s not a year away. I have an M5, R5 and an R1. I would buy more, but I’m afraid to up my investment.

1 Like

Strange - When I select ‘Add a Thing’ - ‘Entertainment’ - ‘Speakers’ - ‘Samsung’ - ‘Samsung Multiroom Speakers’ - IOS adds my Samsung R1s and my Samsung TV and my IPhone 6 Plus.

Why would anyone expect anything to improve? Read any of these threads…they all end the same way. These guys can’t even release a hub that can reliably determine presence or utilize a security model that allows for multi-user access without admin rights to everything for everyone. I’m glad to know they’re working on Samsung Multiroom Audio integration when basic functionality is painfully unreliable. I suppose the bright side to the release of this particular Official Integration is the obvious lack of resources they allocated. :wink: Probably time to cut our losses like so many others have…

I have a R1 and am using it for notifications and “wifi” music. I am really happy with it but for one issue (will review my experience later).

It has a definite issue "spamming my notification log…thousands, about 10 per minute. I have reported to support about a week ago and “they are working with the Samsung speaker group”. It is a problem for others as well…see link below.

Ditto. I have four M5 speakers. I would probably buy four more speakers and/or a sound-bar. But, I haven’t been impressed with any of the implementations by Samsung & SmartThings. I have been TRYING to stay “in-brand” (assuming it would eventually become better-integrated?..) But, I’m on the verge of abandoning ship, and switching to Sonos.

Regrets.

1 Like

Merlin,

I have both the Samsung R5 and the sonos. The sonos by far sounds better all around.

Jusy my 2 cents.

I have a Samsung R1, and it shows up as a ‘musicplayer’ but not as a ‘voice synthesis’ device, so I can’t get TTS to work with it. Am I doing something wrong? I added it to ST the way ST says to, nothing custom.

Sorry I should have been clearer, using ‘Samsung Audio Connect’.

Just a follow up, I can now do text to speech with the R1 in Core and everywhere else. Not sure what changed.

Does this integration support the WAM 1500 (R1) speakers?

Hey everyone!

Just got a ST hub v2. And trying to add my HW-H750 sound bar to it. I have the multiroom hub as well, and have the multiroom app working.

Now when trying to add it to ST, I go to: Add a thing->Manual->speakers->samsung multiroom>-connect now.

And the screen says please wait while we discover… It’s been going for 10+ mins and no joy. Am I missing something?

As for my network, soundbar connected via wifi. ST & Multiroom hubs connected by cable. And soundbar firmware has been updated to: ver. 3109.2 (apparently the most recent)

A quick followup, I connected the soundbar by lan cable, and it connected to smart things. Unplugging the cable (from soundbar), and again it doesn’t work, but multiroom app still does.

So two questions, 1. how can I connect it via wifi?

1. Once connected, other than playing some of the pre-recorded (dog barking, bell, etc) based on a trigger event, can we somehow play music or do we still need to rely on the MultiRoom app?

Just as food for thought for the developers: google home recognizes Samsung speakers as light switches. :frowning:

It’s been a while since I connected my R1, but it had a small button underneath to push to initiate the wifi pairing. I believe you then use the Multiroom app to add the speaker…but since yours is connected thru the LAN I’m not sure what the sequence would be. Just some of what I can remember.

Hi Tgreen. My speakers are connected via wifi. In multiroom I’m connected, can play music can wake/turn off speaker remotely. Works amazing! :slight_smile: Now comes smartthings…can not get it to recognize it. So, I thought just to test, and hook the lan cable to the speaker. And within a minute, smart things recognizes it. And I’m not 100% sure, but it seemed like it was connected via LAN & wifi at the same time. So everything works everywhere, now i unplug the lan cable, and speaker no longer interacts with smartthings, multiroom continues beautifully. So I’m wondering if there is something i need to get it to connect wirelessly? (upnp, wps or something else?)

Maybe someone else in the community can help…my Samsung R1 didn’t even have an ethernet input.

Probably time to connect with Samsung ST support.

Good luck, and post the solution when you get it working.