New integration: Stringify (iOS only) UPDATE: Now in beta on Android!

Hi SmartThings,

I work for a new company that connects all of your IoT devices and we think we’ve done a pretty good job of integrating with SmartThings. You can now very easily and graphically connect your SmartThings devices with LIFX, Hue, Jawbone, Misfit, Withings, Automatic, Slack, Instagram, Dropbox, and more!

We allow multiple triggers and actions as well as cascading flows. “If motion is detected AND it’s between 8:00 and 10:00, THEN turn on my light, THEN once my light has been turned on, send me a push notification.”

If two triggers go into the same yellow “quicklink” before it reaches an action, it’s treated as an AND. If you drag two triggers directly to an action, it’s considered an OR.

We don’t support all SmartThings devices yet but we’re getting there.

Here’s an example of my “Open my garage” flow including iOS location, SmartThings, push notifications, and LIFX:

iOS link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stringify/id1012539039?mt=8

Android BETA link:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.stringify.stringify

5 Likes

Looks interesting, but I’ll have to wait for an android version. :disappointed:

6 Likes

I’m using it. Works great. I like having more “if” options than IFTTT.

Android version needed…

6 Likes

@klinquist US-only phone number needed for registration - Why?
What about us in Europe? With a name like yours/origin, I would have expected some sympathy :wink:

Ever since I received my hub, I’ve thought there needs to be a graphical representation of my automations. This looks promising.

1 Like

Looks really interesting and very well implemented - just need an Android version and UK capabilities so I can take a looksie :smile:

+1 for Android. I don’t own apple products, so I cant even try the product out. It looks cool…

+1 on the Android version. Looks interesting.

Would love to test the Windows / Windows Mobile version of this.

Android is likely next, followed by Web. Windows/Windows Mobile is not likely in the short term.

A shame, because with universal apps, I could have used Stringify on my Xbox One, Tablet, PC, and Phone. Maybe later.

We definitely want Stringify on every platform! With limited engineering resources, we have to start somewhere. Eating the elephant one bite at a time :). The good thing is that everything is using a pretty robust API at this point, so developing additional clients will be much easier for us going forward.

We’re pending App Store approval now, so for those that don’t want to get onto our TestFlight beta, hopefully you’ll see us in the App Store shortly.

"When it’s after 6PM AND my SmartSense motion detects motion… OR When it’s after 6PM and my House Garage door opens, turn on my LIFX “front foyer” group (which includes 2 lights), wait 30 seconds, then fade my LIFX off over 1 minute:

Good news!

Also, did you see this: Project Islandwood

How to get iOS apps working on Windows devices simply and easily!

We’re now live in the US iOS App store:

+1 on an Android version. I wish the US market share of Android was closer to the worldwide market share. :slight_smile: (Android is ~52% in the US but ~82% worldwide)

So is this essentially a more robust option than IFTTT where the processing happens in your cloud or do you run an app in the ST cloud and use your system to visually display the interaction? With the hope that an Android version isn’t far out it would be nice to know how this works.

The processing happens in our cloud. We believe that our ‘secret sauce’ is the ability to truly normalize APIs across any device in a way that lets you connect anything to anything (and multiple things to multiple things).

One neat thing about our integration with SmartThings is that you can say something like “when I leave (iOS geofence), lock the door”… then, if you drag a push notification to the right of the door lock ‘thing’, we actually wait until SmartThings has told us that the door has successfully locked before continuing the flow. You could even build a flow that says, "if I leave the house, do two things: lock the door, and start a timer for 30 seconds. Then, if the door is NOT locked after 30 seconds, send me a notification.

2 Likes

I beta-tested this app on iOS (I have no other connection with app). Overall, I was very impressed. I’d describe it as a visually-based (UI) rules engine.

It was really easy to add devices and services. I added my motion sensors, contact sensors, and virtual switches via ST integration. Had to add my Hue Lights using Philips Hue Hub (instead of through ST), but I didn’t have any problems combining the two. Creating the “rules” - which Stringify calls “flows” – was basically point-and-click. Add all of the devices used in a particular “flow” and then draw a line between the “trigger” device(s) and the “effect” devices.

Couple of other nice things: Sonos connectivity and TTS works well. By merging motion detection (within a certain time period), Yahoo news, and gMail, I was able to receive an email of top tech stories when I got up in the morning.

I’d recommend it for a ST user who has little to no experience programming and/or who might understand home automation rules better when those rules are created/presented via a visual diagram. If you’re looking to set up a complex system, however, its probably not going to be time-efficient.

Thank you infofiend for the comments!

For those that have ZWave thermostats, I added support for these devices inside of Stringify last night. Now you can easily set the temperature mode and target temp in a flow!

I am trying to associate Stringify with iOS SmartThings (US).

I am getting “Client is not associated with a smartapp in location Home

The message is a little unclear. What is the client in this context? Stringify?

The iOS device is a Thing on SmartThings.

I see similar threads about this problem for Alexa and IFTTT, but not a clear solution.

Kris