New app Virtual switch

It isn’t an app I am at all familiar with but the parent app does seem to have an uninstall() routine that says deleteChildSwitches() so I’d certainly be inclined towards caution.

Does anyone know why the IDE will say that I don’t have permission to create any new virtual devices? I get “Access Denied”

One cause of Access Denied errors is working in the IDE with the webCoRE dashboard also open in the browser.

3 Likes

Thank you! I will close it and try again.

That was it! Thank you so much. I’ve never had that happen before.

1 Like

I to ‘used’ the Virtual Device Creator to create virtual switches, but I never knew that it removes the virtual switches when the SmartApp is removed. Not good if anything happens to that SmartApp, especially with all the platform upgrades they are doing now and have planned for the future.

Today, I just went through and added replacement virtual switches in the IDE and replaced and removed all the virtual switches I had created using the SmartApp. A bit tedious having to go through every Automation, Scene, and other SmartApps to replace them. I sure wish the new SmartThings app would show what Automations, Scenes, and SmartApps that a device is tied to like the old SmartThings app mostly did.

1 Like

I checked with the developer and he concurred. I think I’ll start the process of rebuilding these directly in the IDE.

1 Like

A lot of you say that removing the v device creator will uninstall/delete child devices created, without trying to sound stupid but what happens if i dont delete the v device creator ? If i hit the dreaded migrate button will my classic app v devices continue to work on the new app without issue now and crucially after the groovy ide gets nuked in the future ?

At the moment i use both apps, 98% classic 2% new app and v devices show and work but no sign of an in app v device creator

Yes I saw that. The risks have probably dropped dramatically now you know what could happen but we can all do stupid things. The usage checks also help but you don’t see Automations and Scenes in the ‘in Use By’ list, and nor will you find Alexa and Google there any longer. So they may not be the safety net they were.

1 Like

Paraphrasing your question “If I migrate without deleting the virtual device creator will it still work?”

For me, yes. I migrated with it in place and it still works as expected.

Just migrated, checked to see if the v switch creator had come across which it had, however now going back into smart apps. Its gone ? Kinda stumped now

Im going to correct my finding, the v switch creation app is present in the new ST app but here is my confusion, if you use the + sign which at least to me indicates your creating something new, under “Smart app” the v switch creator is not present, however if you tap the left top 3 bars and then “Smart apps” the v switch creator is a aparent and useable

Tad confusing, at least to me, Smart app and Smart apps, one is plural but how does that logically indicate the users requirement

I cant find this V Switch Creator anywhere…I am new to ST and am using the new app (as far as I know). Question: is there any difference in where the Virtual Devices are run depending on if you create them in the IDE or ‘locally’ in the app w V Switch Creator? I can see they are cloud-based when creating them in the IDE. Trying out ST as also being alarm hub with an 3rd party external GSM transmitter/reciever (no/nc ports) and ‘poor man’s UPS’ for ST hub (Powerbank with possibility to feed when charged). So really interested in running all needed intelligence locally at least for this functionality.

If you create them in the IDE and use device type ‘Virtual Switch’ then they can run locally on the hub. Just about any other option runs in the cloud.

I see a virtual switch creator under SmartThings Labs.

To get there, Hamburger menu > Smart Apps > three dot menu (top rt) > SmartThings Labs > Virtual Switch

2 Likes

Smartthings is still primarily a cloud-based platform. Even if you maintain Internet connection, if the smartthings cloud is unavailable (which does happen from time to time) then you will not be able to get any notifications from the system and you will not be able to change the mode from arm to disarm, etc.

They also have historically pushed out hub updates about once a month which can be neither deferred nor denied and which will take your system off-line. It may be only a couple of minutes, but sometimes it has been a couple of hours.

So it doesn’t meet UL standards as a security system and it’s not something most people would rely on as their primary. It’s OK for convenience updates as long as you understand the potential issues.

OK, all of that said, there’s no difference in where you create the virtual switch. The specific options in the DTH which is used might vary. But you aren’t creating them locally if you use the app: the app itself is cloud-based. It doesn’t communicate directly to your hub even if they are on the same Wi-Fi network. (Technically they didn’t have to design that way, but they did. The app requires the cloud.)

The virtual switch creator was custom code which I believe is not available in the new V3 app, but you can still create virtual switches in the IDE.

3 Likes

Ahh…I accidently created my switches as ‘Simulated Switches’…that type of device seems to share functionality w device type ‘Virtual Switch’ except all Simulated Switch devices run in the Cloud. I’ve however changed all my previous Sim Switch devices to be Virtual Switches now and it works great! Many thanks Nathan!

2 Likes

Many thanks for your valuable input in this! @JDRoberts

1 Like