[OBSOLETE] Vacation Light Director

There is an option to uninstall.

Sorry, had to hit NEXT after the first screen. Not my day today.

1 Like

I have noticed that this app does not start as per the schedule, when the house is in vacation mode. I have a app that automatically changes the mode to vacation mode if it stays in Away mode for a certain duration. After that the vacation mode director is supposed to kick in starting at 8 pm. But i have seen it fail too many times. Anything that i am missing?

Check the scheduled jobs app in the IDE. (IDE → My Locations → Installed smartapps → smartapp) I’ve had issues with various apps where a scheduled job is just never run. This is a ST platform issue that is well-documented in the community.

You’ll see the list of scheduled events, when last it was run and what is waiting to run. The problem manifests itself when you see a job that is past due. I.e. it should have run, say, yesterday, but it’s still waiting. If this is the issue, it can be fixed in most cases by re-saving the app preferences, as most developers reset the scheduled jobs when you update the prefs.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. In the IDE, I dont see any scheduled jobs at the moment. I will schedule the job and check it closer to the time its expected to run.

@ashutosh1982

I would recommend having a “Vacation - Night” mode or something similar. This app will also kick off on a mode change so if the mode changes to “Vacation - Night” and you want this to run during that mode it will kick start the schedule.

:smile:

@slagle Are you suggesting that once the house goes to Vacation Mode, it changed Mode again to Vacation -Night every night to trigger this app and comes back to Vacation-Morning in the morning?

Yeah. I have night and day modes for everything in my home. I have a Home-Day, Home-Night, Away-Day, Away-Night, and a goodnight mode.

This way I can separate things via modes instead of times, times are messy and I have to setup every single app to use those times and then the time can change based on sunrise/sunset, etc
 I just use modes for everything, it’s global that way. I only have to schedule one thing instead of 55 things. :smile:

I have vacation mode and vacation night mode as well now, and works real well.

1 Like

I run the lights on LUX enabled apps, not sunrise/sunset or times, I just couldn’t make the justification for that many modes

Never mind. I figured out presence sensors and mobile phones. <<<<< How do I set “when these people are home”? I have no idea where “people” are set up any where in ST.

So it looks like “People” is a required field. So I added my android phone. How can I test this while I’m home?

you could add a virtual presence device from the IDE then use that as the one presence device and then you would be set even if home.

Hi

I would like to try this app. When I click on the link I get a 404. Am I doing something wrong or are the links broken.

Thanks

This Smartapp is in the Smartthings app Marketplace under Lights & Switches.

Thanks
I will give it a try

@slagle

Tim , i love the apps you create and are using some of your apps. I have tried using the vacation light director on STbut I am unable to get it to work. Are there any current issues that you know off with the new firmware update on its operation? All other smart apps seem to be working for me.
I set the app to run in home, away and vacation modes. I give it the default delay and the frequency. I say to run it only when all presence sensors are away (with the exception of me and my phone). I also ask it to run every day of the week. As a test I am using 3 lights and at a minimum keep 2 on. But it doesnt seem to be working.
I went into IDE and I see no schedule to run in the smart app details. Any help here?

Thanks!

1 Like

I had the same problem with it last month. I ended up just deleting the smartapp.

@brianjlambert

Interesting
so you never reinstalled it? Ive ended up delteting and resinstalling many times but doesnt seem to work. Do you know of any other random schedulers?

Actually no. I needed it for when I actually was on vacation last month. It worked the first day I set it up, but never again. I checked it every day and checked the logs for all the lights, but it never worked. I never reached out to support because it wasn’t worth my time.
I tried changing settings including the number of lights and time before changes, but nothing helped.
I now schedule my lights through the Smart Lighting app (which isn’t without it’s issues). But, I have not found an alternative for Vacation Light Director.
I know this isn’t helpful, but just wanted to confirm you weren’t alone.