[OBSOLETE] Vacation Light Director

Did you make any changes? I’ll test this tonight.

I emailed support and they basically said “talk to you.” :frowning: Not exactly what I thought the problem was since it just suddenly stopped working.

They really can’t do much unless I can’t point to a sepcific envrionment issue.

Can you send me some logs and stuff if it still isn’t working?

Will do if it isn’t working tonight.

1 Like

This isn’t working for me again. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it still doesn’t run when in vacation mode.

I’m not home right now, so I can’t easily pull logs. Will test this week and see what’s up. I have a bad feeling there won’t be much in the way of logs.

Let me know what you find

I took a road trip over the weekend and this didn’t work for me, either. I tested it briefly before I left and it did work but not when I actually went out of town.

weird… not sure whats going on… I’ll try and take a look at it.

@allison @brianlees

PM me screenshots of your app setup please. I can’t make it not work on my end lol.

I just tried to test it again. Doesn’t seem to be working. It was supposed to start at 1:15pm.

So what do you have your timing for the lights to be?

If its a half hour then it would not run again until 30 minutes after 1:13…

There isn’t an easy way to trigger based on time so it won’t work the way you are expecting it to.

The app works like this…

Mode change>check if variables are good>if they they are then randomly turn on the light>if they aren’t then don’t do anything with the lights>schedule another check for the time you selected in the app.

1 Like

That would explain this scenario but not the weekend one. I was in St. Louis and didn’t have a chance to check my lights until almost 10:30pm. None were on.

Sending you screenshots.

Try this… I added a schedule to the app to check every hour to see if it died. I think its dying for some reason but have no idea why… lol

I also added some more enhanced debug lines so it should give better insight to what is happening if it still isn’t working

https://github.com/tslagle13/SmartThings/blob/master/Director-Series-Apps/Vacation-Lighting-Director/Vacation%20Lighting%20Director.groovy

1 Like

From what I could tell my lights were working correctly last night.

I think this might only affect really long absences maybe… My new update should fix that

I use it almost every week for 3 + days in a row (evenings only).

1 Like

Has anyone at ST mentioned if there was a change? In my opinion, there had to be one at the cloud level since this was working and suddenly stopped and I made no changes to the setup of the app.

I’m tagging @mager on this for a little input, if possible. If changes are occurring, we need to make sure the community developers, like the very active @tslagle13, know!

1 Like

I used the app while we were on vacation recently and initially was a little confused as to the behavior. When I looked at the code, I realized why. I expected it to start the lights at the start time I configured, and turn everything off at the configured end time. But the start and end times were dependent on when the jobs were scheduled, and based on the configured light on interval. Additionally, it seemed to turn off the lights even when they were already off, as it ran during the day. This caused an issue with one of my dimmers (not the app’s fault).

I rewrote the scheduling part of the app to behave the way I initially expected it to. I also took out the presence as I manage that with modes. So it will turn on at the configured start time and turn off at the configured end time and not run outside of those times or when the mode is “wrong”. I would still like to add sunset + offset as an optional start time.

There are a couple ways to do this. As with everything of course. Mine seems to allow the most amount of robust user use. Basically If the time/day/mode/presence is “OK” then it will run at the scheduled check time. If day/presence/time are “not OK” but the mode is it will turn off all the lights. If nothing is “ok” but people are home then it doens’t do anything and ends the cycle. If nothing is “ok” and people aren’t home it turns of all your lights.

Hope this gives better insight into how the logic works.

I thought about your way @dan999 but as a dev who writes code for a wide audience i have to make some broad assumptions and make it work for 95% percent of the community. Thats the beatuy of shared code though. You can fix it for your specific scenario or to your liking :smile:

I use a day and night mode for when i am away so this isn’t an issue for me. I recomend this if you are seperating lighting events based on when the sun is up or down. Much easier to restict it by mode then by sunset times. IMO Plus this would resolve your initial issue as my app is triggered on mode changes. So if you don’t have any mode change it wouldn’t stat the sequence “on time”.

Just my friendly .02 :smile:

I think i may add a schedule for it to kickstart the app on the “start” time. this may clear up some issues, but also may present new ones… we’ll see what happens.

2 Likes

My AWAY NIGHT mode starts at Sunset and ends at Sunrise. I only have the lights cycle from about 9pm to midnight but after that time the Vacation Light Director continues to send the OFF command (every 23min for me) until Sunrise.

1 Like

I would really like this to just have a start and end time and not function by modes. Or maybe you can have an option to use Modes or Not use modes. Lights start randomly turning on and off starting at “X” time and end this process at a time to be determined. It would also be nice to have a buffer + or - so many minutes, so if all lights are set to run for 10 min, if you set a 4 min buffer, they could run as little 6 minutes or as long as 14 minutes. This makes it even more random.