[OBSOLETE] Lighting Director

Ran a test today on one of my lights and everything seemed to trigger correctly. I’m hesitant to reinstate all of my programs without further confirmation. Anybody else just to be sure that it’s working properly?

To continue I transitioned all my lighting events back to Lighting Director and all appears to be working properly. I don’t know if Smartthings has posted anywhere that they have resolved their back end issues so I thought I’d update with my findings.

1 Like

Good morning, have you seen the new thread talking about Lighting Director’s lux issues? I am having the same issue as everyone else.

I’m really enjoying Lighting Director since the “default” Smart Lights app isn’t so smart.

I have one feature request:

I have lights that turn on with motion and turn off x minutes after motion stops. Works great. What I would like to add to that is the ability to disable the “off” command if one of sub selected set of switches is turned on manually (not necessarily one of the ones that is activated by the motion sensor in the first place).

Here’s an example use case: I have a handful of lights that turn on when I come down the basement (not all of them). They’re set to turn off automatically after 10 minutes of no motion. We do this because we are often running down to the basement just to go grab some beer or something, then we head back upstairs. However, if we’re going to stay down the basement, we start turning lights on, and want everything to remain on until we manually turn them off – but then these few lights that turned on automatically will turn off if we’re not moving for awhile (like sitting on the couch).

We have several other areas we use like this too…a few lights turn on if you’re just “passing through” and turn off after a few minutes, but we would like them to stay on if other lights are turned on in the area.

So basically:

switches(a,b,c) turn on if motion
switches(a,b,c) turn off after x minutes of no motion UNLESS one of switches(a,b,c,x,y,z) are turned on manually

I had this logic, or something like it, in an earlier custom SmartApp I used, but I’d like to be able to continue to use all of Lighting Director’s other cool features and get this added in.

Let me know if that needs more clarification, or if there’s already a way to do this in Lighting Director that I’m just missing.

1 Like

Loving this app so far, but would really like to request a feature. I don’t have a lux sensor. So generally I rely on dusk to dawn. It Would be great if we could trigger the lights only between sunset and sun rise based on location settings in the app. Otherwise my lights will be triggering throughout the day. Unless I’ve missed a setting?

Works great tho thanks for your efforts!

You can mod the app fairly easy to add the sun state. If you don’t want to play with code, you can create home modes to follow the sun state and restrict the lights to come on and off based on modes.

i think its a little beyond my skillset at the moment to mod the app, ive been able to use some custom ones, but im not much of a coder yet. Ive not played much with modes can I create custom ones?

Yes, you can create custom modes and custom routines. Here is a recent thread that discusses the power of both:

well after that, I have been able to modify the code, and so far it seems to be working, ill be able to test it properly tomorrow in the daylight as I’ve even been able to add a button to turn it off or on. so if the button is off, the app should work as normal and activate in the day unless you have a lux sensor, if the button is on, the lights should only come on between sunset and sunrise. im not sure how that will work if this options is set to true and their is a lux sensor, im guessing at the moment it will stop the lux sensor from working in the day, and someone with better skills than me would need to code in to work around that

The code I used was stripped out of this app “Dusk-to-Dawn Dimming Motion Light with Optional Ambient Light Trigger”

there will be some code in there intended to be used for the other apps purposes, so probably not the neatest as i don’t understand fully what all the code does. but it looks to me like the offset should also work, so you can select if you want it to start working earlier or later than sunset and stop working earlier or later than sunrise by some preset times.

and for the moment its only an option on the first scene in the app not all 4 as I would need to make it a little more complicated in order to have 4 different time offsets, however looks positive so far.

would it be worth posting up the code somehow, im not familiar with github

1 Like

Welcome to SmartThings tinkering stage, it only gets better and easier from here. GitHub is easy. Once you create an account, you can copy/paste code and name the file .groovy.

im posting this completely untested only to say my lights are still working at the moment running this script, but ive not actually tested yet if it stops them working after sunrise, however, should anyone want to look through it or test it feel free.

1 Like

seems to be working perfectly today, wont trigger in the day time unless i turn the only activate between sunset and sunrise off. then it activates all the time. very useful.

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere in the last 143 posts :smile:

But I think it would be useful to have a trigger based on change of switch state? Firstly I’d expect a good use case is that someone would want to manually change the lighting by pressing a switch, but secondly this also would give the opportunity for other apps to trigger a virtual switch to trigger a scene change?

Just a thought or is this not really the purpose of this SmartApp?

Otherwise great app! :smile:

Hi,

I get a 404 when I try to look at the non-truncated version…

Cheers

Mik

Eeek - two points away. One for being a dick and the other for replying to my own post…

Cheers

Mik

I have a random question.

I use the Smart Lighting App to turn lights on and set level when a mode changes during certain hours. This works fine at turning the lights on but the dimming functionality is broken and the lights will not dim to the programmed level (in other words this doesn’t work as it should).

I use Lighting Director to turn lights on and set level with motion and they do exactly that to the programmed level when their is motion (in other words this works as it should).

Is there any way to combine code from the two to create a working Smart Lighting App or a Lighting Director App that works with mode changes relatively easily?

Thanks for anyone’s help.

Updated to parent/child app :slight_smile:

how do I update? copy code over the top of the old one? or will it update through the IDE ?

I have modified this app a liitle bit in order to fullfil my purposes (add color bulbs and set hue, saturation and temp):

Now also the dimming is working.
I know there is also an official lighting app in the marketplace already, but there you can only activate a scene.

Hub is device that controls home appliances. B.One made app which control home appliance and lights, no matter where you are in the world. This app control your home appliance and light with your voice. This app and hub makes in home automation.