[OBSOLETE] Control lighting in great detail with button devices (Aeon Minimote, Enerwave ZWN-SC7)

There is now an option to “Reverse Toggle Logic”. I believe that will accomplish what you are looking for.

I am going to update from repo now, thank you. Anything I should know befor? The toggle works now as it should. Thank you again for adding this feature.

I put these settings into GitHub and it comes back OK but blank

Should be like this:

Oh my goodness! I just found this gem of software today. OK, note to self “Go through @erocm1231 github and see what other magicapps he has “hidden” in there” :grinning:

Great stuff here man. OK just wanted to report an interesting undocumented feature “bug”? I set up a Virtual button using the simulated button handler. I used your awesome app to control some devices, an RGBW Controller, Sonoff Switch , GE Link Bulb. Everything works just as expected UNITL I turn off the GE smart bulb at the light switch. At that point the Enhanced Lighting Button Controller app seems to get stuck. It won’t toggle the other two devices that are still operating. It is as if the app is waiting for something from the GE bulb that can’t happen since the light switch has been turned off to that bulb. Any thoughts?

This is just a quick guess, but when I had some Cree Smart Bulbs and turned them off at the switch, they did not notify SmartThings that they were off (obviously). So, they still showed on in SmartThings. The app is looking at the state of the bulbs to decide whether to turn them on or off. Under the normal toggle logic it will see that one light as on and try to turn them all off (repeatedly if the one bulb never updates its status as off). Under the reverse toggle logic it will see that one light as on and try to turn them all on (again repeatedly).

So, first check to see if that is the case. Turn the bulb off at the light switch and see if it reflects that in SmartThings. If it doesn’t, try to turn it off in SmartThings and see if it will update its status then. My guess is that it doesn’t.

You guessed right. In fact a similar “bug” occurs if I unplug the Sonoff switch and leave the GE bulb turned on at the switch. SmartThings last known condition of the Sonoff was ON but has no way to know that it is now unplugged. In this case of course the Sonoff doesn’t do anything not does the RGBW controller BUT the GE does turn on and off. So it seems it is based on the order of the way I selected the lights to be controlled from the button controller app.

I’m not sure what to do with the toggle logic then. Since I am possibly dealing with multiple lights, the program has to decide which way to toggle them. The program used to consider it a toggle if you pressed the same button twice. Maybe I can implement that as an option.

I don’t know if its worth going to the trouble, it is a minor issue to me. I just make sure my devices that I have in this app are all communicating and it is all good.

Well, since I already had the code I just threw it in so people can choose the toggle type. If anyone updates to this new version and used the reverse toggle, you might have to reset that option to the toggle type you want.

2 Likes

I installed the smartapp, nothing else. Hopefully I am doing this right - I am a newb at all the extra handler/app stuff. I got it working, but I want to add long press or holds so I can say Hold 1 and turn off lights vs using all 4 buttons to set to say 50% button 1, 10% button 2. If I use all 4 buttons on a single press to control lights using my minimote I cant use it for anything else lihjg bathroom lights. Is there something I am missing, can you not do such a thing? It would be cool to hold it dim but if not thats ok, just want to have 8 options vs 4. Is that possible with my minimote.

@elite I believe the button mappings are in the SmartApp heading and also mentioned in the first post.

Ya. I started reading all the posts and was sifting through and the info I needed was right at that too. Added 8 buttons, programmed what I wanted, held 1 which is 5 (going in order) and it triggered the lights I wanted. Thanks. I need to play toggle type and turn light on/off setting cause it all seems to do the same but overall it’s working as posted. Great simple effective use of minimote. I have a in wall 7 button that probably would work as well. It I’m afraid to touch it lol. I have it linked to some harmony settings so I’m always leary about playing when things work.

@erocm1231, extra characters at the end of line 37 in the latest github version of button-controller-enhanced-lighting.groovy.

I updated a few minutes ago and can’t access the app. It worked prior to this update. I click on it and I get nothing.

There’s an error in the groovy code… easy fix … see the post above yours.

1 Like

It has now been fixed.

1 Like

Thanks for creating this powerful app. Are there any instructions anywhere to setup a simple on/off toggle for a z wave plugin lamp? I just want to be able to turn on/off a light with press of button 1. If I turn on the light with Alexa, pressing button 1 once would turn it off. Which of the three choices in this app under ‘toggle type’ do I need to choose?

If it is a single light you can choose either “Single light on, turn all on” or Single light off, turn all off" and it will work how you are asking. If you have more than one light then that is where the toggle can be more specific.

Single light on, turn all on: All lights get evaluated when you press the button. If none or any of the lights are on it will turn the rest on. Else it will turn them all off. On a subsequent push, it will do the opposite action (on/off).

Single light off, turn all off: All lights get evaluated when you press the button. If any of the lights are off it will turn the rest off. Else, it will them all on. On a subsequent push, it will do the opposite action (on/off).

Same button pressed 2x in a row: If you press the button 1 time, it turns the lights on. You press it again, it turns the lights off. This toggle action doesn’t evaluate the lights state, but just executes the above action.

@erocm1231 THANK YOU! I stumbled across this as a fantastic way to control my Leviton VRCS4 and VRCZ4 scene/zone controllers - the toggle options and the dimmer settings are exactly what I needed, and weren’t “out-of-the-box” with the otherwise brilliant VRCS-Button-Controller app created by @bdahlem. (For anyone looking for his device handlers for the VRCS4 and its optional load switch, you’ll find them here.)

1 Like