[OBSOLETE] Control lighting in great detail with button devices (Aeon Minimote, Enerwave ZWN-SC7)

Is it connected directly to the smartthings hub or is it connected to a Hue bridge? Also, what device handler is it using?

It is connected directly to the smartthings hub. I am using this device handler:

So the color options of “White, Daylight, Soft White, and Warm White” don’t do anything or they adjust the RGB colors?

They set the RGB correctly, but don’t touch the W LEDs. If I have the W turned on and set the device to off, it doesn’t turn off the white either. Maybe a handler problem?

Looking at the handler, it seems like there are separate methods to handle control of the W LEDs. “whiteOn(), whiteOff(), and setWhiteLevel()”. They seem to be completely separate from how the RGB colors are controlled. This isn’t typically how SmartThings color devices function. It looks like that handler needs to be reworked. From the looks of it, if the white LEDs are on and you have any automation in SmartThings send the off() command, they won’t turn off. Also, it looks like they wouldn’t work properly with things such as “Smart Lighting”. Are there any other device handlers out there you could try?

Thanks very much - was able to get my Enerwave ZWN-SC7 working with this! Had trouble with the other Smart App I found in the forum
 Have posted an issue in the other thread.

Quick question. Can anyone help me with a wiring diagram for using this device in a fan canopy controlled by a single switch? I’m wondering if I need to connect something to aux 1 and 2.

Thanks in advance!

@erocm1231 I installed this groovy code as a device handler for Aeon Minimote. The device then disappears from my iPhone SmartThings App -> MyHome -> Things screen. The Minimote shows up when I change device handler back to the standard ST handler. Thoughts on how to fix?

This should be installed as a SmartApp. You can then choose the Aeon Minimote in the SmartApp and assign lights to its buttons.

I’ve been using this with my minimotes since the day I got them and it worked great but I wasn’t sure what it’s benefit was vs other smart apps. Recently in a bid to run things locally, I changed from using this smart app to using smart lighting to program button presses on my minimotes and it took all of 2 minutes to discover the big advantage that your smartapp has over smart lighting. With smart lighting I can program a button to toggle on and off my light, but it doesn’t check the state before doing so.

If I turn my light on using Alexa on my echo dot, smart lighting doesn’t check if the light is on, it just knows the last state of the toggle was off, so pressing the button on the minimote simply toggles the light on, even though it’s already on. This is HUGELY annoying as I’ll press the button and be a step and a half away before realising it didn’t work. The same is true for turning the light off. If I turned it on with smart lighting and turn it off with Alexa, smart lighting will assume its on and if I press the button hoping to turn the light on, it just stays off for the first press. This also happens if the light is turned on by motion or an open/close sensor. This smart app however checks the state before it executes. So if the light is on, no matter what turned it on, a button press will turn it off which makes perfect sense!

I wanted to run locally, not for speed as my system runs super fast as it is, my lights turn on in under a second of pressing a button on the minimote, but in case I lose Internet connection especially if I’m not home and the fiance is home by herself. So, to get the best of both worlds, I use this smart app to toggle lights on and off with a push, and I use smart lighting to toggle on and off the same lights but with a long press or hold instead. So if I lose Internet, a long press will allow the lights to work still with local processing. I tested it and it works great. I just wish ST staff would allow more stuff to run locally and also that they would learn from all the innovation that goes on here because more thought was put into the logic of this smart app made by you in your free time vs official smart apps which ST employees were paid to make.

Long post, I apologize but keep up the good work! You’ve made my ST experience so much better.

2 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate it. Glad it has helped you out. :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed over the past week or so that this app sometimes doesn’t fire

http://imgur.com/Q774iQ5

http://imgur.com/T3ENmto

http://imgur.com/WYcpA9v

Above are screen shots showing that the button press was registered at 6:51 pm but the light it was wasn’t turn on (Izzy’s Bathroom) shows no activity and the light didn’t come on. There’s also a screenshot showing the button mapping (button 2).

From the pictures I see that a button was pressed at 6:42 and “Button Controller - Enhanced Lighting” fired at 6:42. I don’t see anything at 6:51.

Lol. I may have attached the wrong screen shots.

Hey! It’s good to find you!
Enerwave will soon release a new scene controller with 8 buttons.
Can you write a new app for that again?
We can send you a sample for test!
Contact me! PLEASE!
My email address is yll1027@qq.com

Just wanted to give you some props! This is a great app. Works perfectly.

A feature I’d like to see would be the inclusion of more built-in scenes from Hue. I only see a few, which is just perfectly suitable for now.

Thanks!

1 Like

@erocm123 I installed the Smart App with no problems. I wanted to test the functionality so I programed the first button to turn on three different lights. Well, button one I picked the devices, left “Toggle On” which seemed default. clicked “Done” and then tried the automation. Example the front outside light is on, but the rear Patio Spot is off if I press the button I want the front to stay on and the Patio light to go on. If they are both on turn them both off. Since the front light is on until 11:30 PM and I hear a sound I want both lights to be on. But what happens is if the front light is on it goes off and the Patio goes on. Is there any way to control this?

Can you please provide GiThub settings? Thanks

@erocm1231 I installed the Smart App with no problems. I wanted to test the functionality so I programed the first button to turn on three different lights. Well, button one I picked the devices, left “Toggle On” which seemed default. clicked “Done” and then tried the automation. Example the front outside light is on, but the rear Patio Spot is off if I press the button I want the front to stay on and the Patio light to go on. If they are both on turn them both off. Since the front light is on until 11:30 PM and I hear a sound I want both lights to be on. But what happens is if the front light is on it goes off and the Patio goes on. Is there any way to control this?

Can you please provide GiThub settings? Thanks

1 Like

I would really have to add some additional options / condition checking to accomplish what you want. Right now the app evaluates the lights and if any are on, then it turns them all off. If they are all off, then it turns them on. You are asking for the condition if all of the lights are on then turn them off. Otherwise turn them all on. Some people prefer the current functionality so I’ll have to add it as an option. I’ll look into it.

Github should be: erocm123, SmartThingsPublic, master

1 Like

Thank you your work is very much appreciated.