[OBSOLETE] Control lighting in great detail with button devices (Aeon Minimote, Enerwave ZWN-SC7)

Actually, if you have a Windows PC you can use one of the Android Emulators that are out there. You may have heard of Bluestacks, but my favorite is MEMU. If anyone knows of an equivelant for Windows Phone that I could use for development, that would be great.

1 Like

Ahh, good point and thanks a lot for the suggestion on an emulator. Much easier than installing VS for the Android emulator. Got it up and it is pretty slick. Now to decide if I want a small 7 inch windows tablet and just run the emulator, or to get a small Android tablet still. Itā€™s actually to be used a ā€œquickā€ remote in the living room area for all my ST stuff (lights, etc.).

As for a Windows Phone emulator that is similar, I canā€™t think of one at all (might not be one) except installing the Windows Phone SDK I believe.

So, I got everything set up with your app using the Android emulator (and tried from a cheap tablet I got also). But, the configuration for buttons 5-8 on my Aeon minimote v1 are doing something wonky. I have Button 1 (short press) controlling my Cree bulb on/off. And button 5 (on/off) controlling an Osram LED light strip. When I perform the long press it will sometimes turn it on/off. But, it will also end up toggling the Cree bulb on/off with a long press. Iā€™ve checked to ensure that the ā€œEnable Toggleā€ isnā€™t turned on also so Iā€™m not sure what the problem is. It also sometimes doesnā€™t turn off the Osram LED light strip once I get it to turn on with the long press. Instead it will still turn on/off the Cree bulb lol. Not sure how I can help you diagnose the problem, but let me know how I can help for sureā€¦or if Iā€™m just doing something wrong.

Iā€™ll look into it tonight. You donā€™t happen to have the SmartApp installed more than once (without knowing) do you? Also, are you using the default device handler for the minimote or a community one?

Iā€™m not sure how to see if itā€™s installed more than once. But, I only see it listed once under ā€œMy Appsā€. I only have the default device handler being used as well. Actually, I just thought about somethingā€¦ the regular Button Controller app installed could be causing issues. Just looked and my ā€œHeldā€ function in the regular app is to turn off the light. Deleting that app and going to test this evening.

Yeah, I bet it is the other app that is causing issues. I just ran some tests with one of my Aeonā€™s and everything was working the way it should. Let me know if that fixes it.

So, I removed the other app and I did have two instances of your app installed. I removed both and started from scratch with yours (only one instance of it now). Iā€™m still having problems. For instance, I have the Front Door Light programmed on button 1 and I assumed that one press turns it on, another press turns it off. If the light turns on, I canā€™t turn it off with another press. I have ā€œEnable Toggleā€ turned on and it doesnā€™t toggle it on or off. Iā€™ve also tried with the ā€œTurn Light on/offā€ set. If I get it to turn on, the same press wonā€™t turn it off. I tried with both settings enabled and then it seems to work like that, but it might take awhile for the action to happen. Does both settings need to be enabled for it to work like that? That will at least let me know that Iā€™ve configured it properly. As well, is the Debounce option for length of time for the press to be registered? Right now, itā€™s just random if it turns on/off at all. Not sure what the problem could be honestly.

Ok, think I have the configuration figured out now. I need to have ā€œEnable Toggleā€ and the ā€œTurn Lights On/Offā€ in order to get the behavior Iā€™m expecting to work (press and it turns off, another press and it turns off). At times there is some lag on it, but I just have to give it a sec. Iā€™ve played with the ā€œDebounceā€ time by decreasing it and it seems to cause it not to work at all (below 1000 ms). But, bumping it up to 4000-5000 ms seems to have helped. Maybe itā€™s just my network running slow.

Sounds like you do have it configured correctly now. The ā€œturn light on/offā€ setting is actually a boolean that is meant to be interpreted as ā€œturn light off? or turn light on?ā€. So you are correct in finding that both options need to be enabled in order for the toggle to work.

Debounce is actually only meant for the Enerwave ZWN-SC7 which has a tendency to send double button presses. I made a change to the app today that lets you disable debounce by setting it to 0. This will probably make things run smoother with other button devices. Iā€™ll test it tonight to make sure it doesnā€™t break anything.

Thanks for this app, it appears to be really useful.

I just installed one of the Enerwave 7-button switches the other day and for some reason only button 1 will trigger an activity. When I press any other button all the lights flash and nothing happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

I see that I can use a ā€˜heldā€™ event to dim, but it appears I have to select a specific percentage of the dim level. Is there a way to have the ā€œheldā€ function run up/down through the dimming range so I can get similar behavior to the GE In-Wall Smart Dimmers?

Iā€™ve seen others report this issue in the following thread:

I think it had to do with the device not getting fully configured. Perhaps try pushing the ā€œconfigureā€ button in the device handler?

@billdwhite Unfortunately, this is something that is going to be very difficult to handle with the way that SmartThings handles button devices and its dependency on the cloud. There are just way too many variables and the SmartThings system just isnā€™t snappy enough to give consistent results. For example, it sometimes takes SmartThings several seconds to process that a button has been pushed. So, if you hold down the button, wait a few seconds for the dimming to begin, and then release the button, and wait a few seconds for the dimming to stop, you are probably going to end up on a dimming level other than what you wanted.

What you want can be accomplished with Z-Wave to Z-Wave devices with an association made, but that is something that SmartThings isnā€™t really equipped to handle.

Ok, what about a different approach: instead of the using the ā€œheldā€ function, is it feasible to use a ā€œpressā€ button to increment the existing dim level by a certain amount, like, say 10%? That way, with each successive (likely debounced) push of the button, the dim level goes up by X amount? I see where we can say ā€œdim to 10%ā€, but Iā€™m think it would be nice to have an option to ā€œdim up by Xā€ where the X is a variable of something like 10%. Is something like that an option?

That would be a possibility. I think it is something that can be done with rule machine right now if you have a copy of that. I believe the problem with RM though is that it will increase or decrease by X without checking the current value of the switch, and some switches are not programmed to have a upper and lower limit on the dimming level. So it is possible to dim it up to 250% and down to -150% (as an example). I will consider adding it to my app with the smarts to prevent that.

@kwill I have uploaded a version that allows you to disable debounce by setting it to 0. I recommend this setting if you are using anything other than the Enerwave ZWN-SC7.

@erocm1231 Thanks a lot for the update to the app. I just updated the code on the IDE and tried changing the setting. It looks like nothing is triggering with the remote now though (could be coincidence that itā€™s the update as I didnā€™t try anything with the remote before updating the code). So I went in and removed the app (deleting it from IDE also) and re-added it. Just reconfigured the buttons on the remote and itā€™s still not triggering the events. I have the debounce set to ā€œ0ā€ right now. I just changed it back to the default and now events are triggering. From what I can tell in the code I got from GitHub, I do have the updated version that you uploaded (see debounce set to 0 disables).

Think I have everything worked out now (figured out that code updates once saving and publishing again). Knew that the code updated when I could see the new message indicating ā€œSet to 0 to disableā€ the debounce setting. All is working well now and I REALLY appreciate the help and development of this app!

Glad it is working for you!

1 Like

So, Iā€™m running into an issue and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s due to the lights Iā€™m using or what. Iā€™m configuring another Aeon remote for my bedroom (have one more for the kids room also). I configured it on a second instance of the app (I see why being able to name it useful now). But, none of the buttons programmed actions are working. Am I not supposed to install a second instance in order to configure a second remote? I donā€™t see any other way to do it though. Or is it just the Osram lights Iā€™m using? The Osram light strip I have in the living room seems to be fine.

Andā€¦I spoke too soon lol. I deleted the remote, and second instance of the app. Set everything up again (reinstalled remote and second instance) and now itā€™s toggling the lights off and on again.

There is a weird situation going on though. The ā€œcolorā€ of the light when choosing soft white, etc. to turn the light on to is off. For instance, I have button 1 programmed to turn it to the soft/warm white (default) at 100% and it turns the light on to almost a daylight white color (and doesnā€™t seem to be 100%, like 60%). Same happens for any of the ā€œwhitesā€ I use. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s because of the respective Osram bulbs though as I donā€™t have the problem with the Cree bulbs in the living room/hallway. Funny enough, it turns the bulb on (just for a split second) to the default color and dim level when it first powers on and then switches it to whatever white is selected in the app.

I tried the same function with the regular Button Controller app in the SmartApps section and it just powers it on to the proper standard white and 100% brightness accordingly.

It might be because my app is sending colortemperature with the hue and saturation (for Lifx bulbs). Try commenting out lines 320,325,330, & 335 with ā€˜//ā€™.

For example,

// colorTemperature = 8000
ā€¦
// colorTemperature = 6000
ā€¦
etc.