SmartThings Community

New App: Control lighting in great detail with button devices (Aeon Minimote, Enerwave ZWN-SC7)

smartapp_lighting
smartapp_remotes

(Eric M) #9

FYI, I added a “Random” option to the color selection for color lights. I have 7 hue devices in 1 room and it is kind of cool to have them all turn to a random color. More flashy than practical, but . . . why not. :wink:

This is awesome just what i needed. Thanks Eric

(Matthew Kelch) #11

Nice work, this deserves more attention than it has received. The random function is a lot of fun!

(Eric M) #12

@Armedmetallica @kelchm Glad you guys like it. It has been working well for me for some time now. I use the random function more than I thought I would. :smile:

(elite) #13

OK…so I will preface this by saying I know nothing :). I just put in a gazillion dimmers mixed between GE (new style with neutral) and the vzmx levitons. There was a deal over the holidays so I bit the bullet. I also installed an sc7. I think I have it synced to my ST but it doesnt do anything. WIll this code help? I dont know how to install it…I have logged into the IDE and I am probably with a little help capable of getting it to work but I dont know much about the code thing, I see my device types and device types…install from code etc. I feel like I am gonna screw something up without some pointers. Any help?

(Scott G) #14

You’ll need the custom device type code for the sc7. There should be a thread dedicated to it with instructions for getting the code to work with the device. This SmartApp would help you create lighting scenes and assign them to one of the buttons, but you need the custom device type so ST will ewgister the button presses.

Here’s the FAQ on using custom code. It should help you understand how to get this SmartApp and the custom sc7 devicetype into your account.

Edited: here’s the thread for the sc7. Sorry it’s long and I couldn’t scan it for the most relevant posts. Usually the first one is updated with code links and general instructions.

(elite) #15

Ok. Copied the code in my device type. Re-searched and it comes up as the button controller. Now I’m trying to figure out how to assign stuff to it. Added 2 lights on button 1 and nothing. I’ll keep trouble shooting. I just got the hub this week and I’m going crazy trying to learn how to copy the codes posted. It’s cool, and fun. Also trying to better understand device vs device type and how it all works.

(elite) #16

I got it!!! Cant believe it works, but it does! I realized I need to add the device type, then the corresponding app. Is that always the case? Will there always be 2 things to do when installing custom code?

(Scott G) #17

Not always. Depends on the device and SmartApp that you’re trying to install. The sc7 isn’t officially supported, so you needed a custom devicetype for it. And the SmartApp in this thread was community created and has not been submitted/approved officially either; otherwise, it would show up in the SmartApp “Marketplace” in the mobile app.

If either the device or SmartApp was already supported by ST, you wouldn’t have to copy/paste code. Once you installed the custom sc7 code, you could have used one of the official button controller apps like Smart Lighting, but this custom SmartApp is more flexible.

(elite) #18

Makes sense…Thank you for your help!!!

Has anyone had any luck using this with Lifx bulbs? It took me a while to get anything going as I had to futz with the latency to not get an error message. I can get them to turn off, but get error messages when trying to turn them on. I’m guessing Hue and Lifx need different info for color, hue, etc and I won’t have any success with doing anything other than using the minimote as a basic toggle.

(Eric M) #20

I could not get the LIFX bulbs to work without modifying the device type. I’m not sure if they wouldn’t work with my app or with SmartApps in general. Do you know if the LIFX bulbs work with Smart Lighting with the default device type?

(Eric M) #21

If anyone is interested I have updated this app to support a “toggle” function. Just FYI.

Eric, you, sir, are amazing! This app was exactly what I was looking for to control my Hue lights. Thank you!

(Eric M) #23

Glad you like it. :slightly_smiling:

(Johnny) #24

This question is hopefully very basic, but almost slightly embarrassing, but here I go.

I installed this smart app because I’m pretty sure it’s exactly what I’m looking for. Got the smartapp installed without issue but when I got to set it up from mobile, it gets to the section (which is first setup screen) It says to select a button, push that, and there is no button to choose.

I looked closer at screen shots and noticed the Aeon Labs Minimote, so I went to device handlers and installed the Minimote. I’ve published both “for me” and still no choice for button.

What am I missing?

(Johnny) #25

Well, I’m an idiot and believe i’ve discovered the minimote must be a physical device. I had never heard of it, so that’s where my confusion came from. I’m looking for something to just control many lights “on / off / dimmer” for several lights (zigbee in this case) but really does something like this exist?

you want a virtual switch/dimmer to do that

(Eric M) #27

So, I’m a little confused. This app is for physical devices with buttons to control the lighting. Are you thinking about using the SmartThings App to easily activate different lights? One workaround might be to create a device in the IDE and assign it the handler in this thread:

You should be able to set my SmartApp up using the newly created device as the Button Device, and then press the buttons from the device in the SmartThings app to activate the scenes. Just a theory, but it should work.

(Mark Whipp) #28

@erocm1231 Thanks for the useful app! I have been using this for a couple months now without any problems with a v1 Hue bridge. There has never been a difference (for me) in the warm white and soft white colors, but it’s been close to the expected color.

Within the last two weeks, these colors have changed to a light green. Have you noticed any change on your end? Being more of a hardware guy and not a programmer, I looked at the code and could not see what to tweak. Not sure what “hueColor = 23” was referencing.

Any ideas?