New App - Automation based on presence BROKEN

After the last update, I too was feeling pretty good about Automations. Wait for IT! I have 6 Automations each using a Presence Sensor(s) for who comes and goes . I noticed that sometimes when I open the New App and check an Automation, the Presence Sensors for all 6 Automations are gone. (Obviously this means that the Automation won’t work). If I add back the Presence Sensor for 1 Automation they are back for All Automations. I cannot pinpoint any reason for this to happen, but it is a pain that, if I want to make sure the Automations will work, I frequently need to check them to make sure Presence Sensors are still showing.

That same issue was also happening before, when I originally created this thread. So nothing has changed with any updates unfortunately.

I believe this issue was finally resolved, after months harassing support. Seems to be working well for me now, even with the “after being away for how long” advanced option.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I currently have the webcore thing I created (and Life360 as a backup) but good to know it’s working for you. I might switch mine around and check, but the webcore has been working and it’s nice to actually see a device.

1 Like

Anyone notice that you can no longer add presence devices that aren’t mobile phones to automations? I am able to see the device and select it, but the automation never saves with the device added.

I just created an automation using a presence sensor key fob so I am going to say no.

1 Like

What DTH is that Key Fob using? Other people using Life 360 are also reporting the issue of it no longer working for them.

I seem to be fine using the Arrival Sensor DTH as well as two of my own custom handlers that I use for virtual presence.

It must be something more subtle going on that makes the app confuse certain presence sensors with mobile presence.

1 Like

Do you use Android or iOS? I wonder if it is something as silly as they just botched the latest iOS app update.

In your custom presence DTHs do use a vid or ocfDeviceType?

I use Android. The iOS app does seem to be struggling more.

One of my DTHs uses both an ocfDeviceType and a vid. The other uses neither.

Yeah, for my Whistle dog tracker DTH I’ve been using vid:“generic-arrival” andocfDeviceType:“x.com.st.d.mobile.presence” for months without issue, now I can’t even get the damn thing to show up with or without a vid / ocf (and of course clearing the app cache by changing the DTH)

Are you able to still add your presence sensors to automations? Wondering if this is an iOS specific bug.

Yes, I can still do that and I tried a number of combinations of new and existing automations.

I have just noticed that a number of quick controls that supposedly failed to save a few days ago are now very much there, and indeed one was duplicated. I then deleted and recreated then. I added four quick controls but had to repeat one because it gave an error on saving. The Automations page revealed the one that I had to repeat was duplicated. So clearly an error message when saving doesn’t always mean an automation hasn’t saved.

I downloaded Bluestacks (an Android emulator) and tested in the Android version of the app. Works as expected. So indeed it is an iOS app issue.

Great they need to fix the iOS app. I’ve been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to figure out why my Samsung presence sensors aren’t working. They keep changing to member location icons when I save the automation with nothing selected.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I have used the smart lighting app to use presence on my phones with much success in new app. Create a smart lighting automation using presence and it will work.

So is ST ever going to fix the iOS app so their Samsung presence sensors work again or do they not give a blank because they are getting out of the hardware game and don’t care about advance users anymore???

My app on android working as must working from the start (from the time that leave the old app) i have set a virtual switch that when i am here is on and when i am leave is off because is the only way to see the webcore where i am because the presense sendor does not can use it on webcore…

my only proble is when i am arive after a second says that i have leave again… and after 2-5min see me again in the house and turn it to i" have i arrived" any other with the same problem?

same thing here.

Same here, automations are getting crazy every time I coming home due these false triggering