Amazon Echo Show (with 7" screen & camera) $229.99

Might want to try again - just ordered two black versions.

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like they updated the web site.

1 Like

So far cameras are limited to Arlo and Ring, but I’m sure there will be more in the future.

Since both Arlo and ring also work with SmartThings, that’s a good start. :sunglasses:

1 Like

This just killed the Nucleus Intercom.

7 Likes

I am waiting until the put the ‘show’ in my next TV…

1 Like

No doubt this will reach the UK some time about 2019

1 Like

I can’t offer enough thumbs up :thumbsup: and hearts :heart_decoration: for this request, Ginny! Thank-you for not only being the first to wish this, but for actually being the first response post on this announcement topic! :pray:

I was just mentioning to @625alex yesterday (when this Echo Show was just a rumor…) that this bodes well for AT!

Now… I guess I ought to order one; though I’ll be rather miffed if it has browser issues. :worried: (no jinx! :scream:).

3 Likes

Is there a way to use this as an intercom to all of your existing echos? To just broadcast a voice message?

1 Like

Here, another writer who misses the point. The differentiator between the echo show and a tablet isn’t the screen: it’s the farfield voice recognition enabled by the echo microphone array inside the box. No current tablet can match that once you’re more than about 2 feet away from it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paularmstrongtech/2017/05/09/amazons-echo-show-is-a-tablet-with-a-stand-you-do-not-need/#538dbe40527a

4 Likes

Wonder if they have guest mode and auto accept call.

I don’t know about guest mode. The “drop in” video chat feature does have an auto accept option, which would be useful for a baby monitor or eldercare monitoring.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks this device is U.G.L.Y.?

8 Likes

I like the white one better than the black one, but I think the screen is going to dominate when you look at it. We’ll see.

The bezel around the screen makes it look a lot like this:

While I am looking for this:

LOL

12 Likes

I wish they made the form factor able to be wall mounted easily. This would lend itself well to people who want to use it as intercoms. Then again, this would probably block some microphones, but allow the user to decide.

Yeah, that was a pretty clueless commentary…especially coming from someone who sells himself as the head of an “emerging technologies advisory” company.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist, especially with the $100 off 2. “Honey, you don’t need to get me anything for father’s day.”

The intercom, video call, and security camera features caught me by surprise, especially with Dot/Echo compatibility. Would love to be able to screen cast to my TV like Google Home can kinda do. (I was about to get a G. Home (on sale at Lowe’s for $114 before my 10% discount)

2 Likes

Exactly correct. It is the mic array that makes everything else not only possible, but practical. I had much of what I have now when I was using my $40 android tablet with autovoice, but a) the thing could not distinguish my speech across the room and b) the WAF was near-zero with the launch phrase “ok google…”.

EDIT: actually, the article’s author doesn’t get the point because he has a vested interest in missing it. Check out the link to his book, which is loaded with the same paranoia he displays in that article. So he’s basically using that “review of Echo Show” as nothing other than a sales platform for his own wares.

1 Like

Nucleus CEO talks about Amazon Echo Show: Frankel says - “The difference (between Echo Show and Nucleus) is, they want to sell more detergent; we actually want to help families communicate easier.”

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/10/15602814/amazon-invested-startup-nucleus-cloned-alexa-echo-show-voice-control-touchscreen-video

1 Like

He’s in defense mode at this point. I don’t have a Nucleus but was considering them for my downstairs playroom but I’d be curious when the Show comes out if people who had them compare them both.

1 Like