NEW: Aeon Home Energy Monitor v2 Device

Another quick question – I noticed data going into Grove Steams is only once every 5 minutes. Does that get set in Grove Steams somewhere as well? i.e. tell it to ingest every 20 seconds? I haven’t modified anything… just copied exactly the code you pasted above, but it’s only ingesting every 5-minutes.

Thanks! - Derek

If you look at live logging of Smartthings you should see it report every 20s. By default I believe Grovestreams only polls every 5 min. If you right click the stream in Grovestreams there should be an edit option to change the polling however often you wish.

It’s strange – I’m using your device type, but when I look at the details it’s still only logging every 5 minutes. See the attached screenshots. I used the default settings with your device type.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Derek

Here’s another screenshot of my live logging – it has some errors – but you can see it’s only actually logging values every 5 minutes. i.e. 9:11pm, 9:16pm, 9:21pm.

Maybe I should blow everything away and start the device & device type from scratch?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!
Derek

I checked my logging and I’m only getting updates every 2.5 minutes. The device itself may be limited on how fast it can refresh.

Your preferences look different compared to mine. Logs are different also. I’m getting “parse returned null” in my logs instead of the error you have. I haven’t really looked into it yet as the device works but I will this weekend.

Did you completely replace your device code with mine or copy/paste parts into your code? Just curious.

Hi Bob,

I completely pasted in the code as a new device type. I also wondered if it’s a limitation of the HEMv1 hardware, but it’s strange that mine’s updating every 5 mins, yours is every 2.5 minutes – despite us setting the updates to every 20-30 seconds.

I’m actually starting to like PlotWatt. So far it has identified only my HVAC and lights as separate appliances, but I was told my customer support it will do much better if I can provide regular updates from my HEM device… i.e. every 30 seconds vice once every 5 minutes.

I’m going to try blowing everything away and implement this one more time and see if it’s still logging every 5 minutes or not. Will let you know my findings.

Thanks for your help!
Derek

Is your device plugged in or using batteries?

It’s using a plug.

So I went ahead and disconnected SmartTiles, GroveStreams, and PlotWatt. I then renamed the device and also re-pasted your code for the device type. Now when I look at logging, it shows it logging every 20 seconds. :slight_smile: See image below.

Assuming this stays working, I’ll reconnect GroveStreams and PlotWatt and see if it continues to log long-term every 20-seconds. Will let you know!

Thanks! - Derek

That’s what mine used to look like. Now I wonder why I’m only getting updates every 2.5 min… I think I may be having some connectivity issues. I’ll look into it. I also have some ideas on why we are getting the “parse returned null” issue.

Well I simulated the code in IDE and pushed it to the device and now I’m back on every 20s. Weird.

I’m also planning on adding a battery level this weekend.

Very interesting – we’ll have to keep an eye on this and try to figure out the underlying issue if it continues to happen. Thanks again for all your help! - Derek

One more quick question – when I reconnected GroveStreams with this new device type, power is plotting (W), but energy is not (kWh). I looked at the live logging and I’m getting a “blacklisted error” from GroveStreams? Is both Power and Energy plotting for you in Grovestreams? If so, I’ll reach out to them and find out why my Energy datastream is not being ingested properly.

Thanks!
Derek

Originally I had units, kWh, reporting with the energy value but I was getting the blacklist error. When I removed the units from the reported value the blacklist error went away.

In GroveStreams, do you have the data type set as “double” for power and energy? You can find this under the general properties of the stream.

Thanks – my energy was set to double in GroveStreams, but it wasn’t working. That being said, I deleted the stream and I manually re-added it as “energy” and set it as double under the general properties and it immediately started reporting.

Who knows… a lot of this stuff is quirky, but I guess that’s what also makes it fun.

All working fine now!

Thanks!
Derek

Hello How hard is this to set up ??? I know nothing about programing but I can cut and paste lolol

I’ve tried both HEMv2 and HEMv2+ device types and I just get “unknown” in the “Things” section of the app. Any thoughts on what I’m missing? Looking at the device itself it does show data:

energy: 0.226 kWh
power: 4406 W
energyDisp: 0.79 kWh
powerDisp: 4406 Watts
powerTwo: null
voltsOne: L1
voltsTwo: L2

Just found this… looks related. IOS app v1.7.1 UNKNOWN tile on one device but the other one works fine

I have a question a little off topic. I have a solar system with this device read negative if I am feeding power back to the grid?

I got negative power values when a current donut was backwards, so probably.