NEW: Aeon Home Energy Monitor v2 Device

I am using the DH of this thread.

What I think is the problem is that you have the aeon energy meter connected to the air comditioner and not to the home main braker box cables. The calculations use the last bill meter number, date of last bill, cost of kwh to make the calculations and projections.

If you need something diferent maybe I can try to changed so works for you.

No guarantee but I will try! :slight_smile:

Let me know what information you will like to see so I can make chages that works for you when you put the meter on the air conditioner

So I have energy meters on the mains of panels as well, but I have one on the leads for the dyer inside the panel and on the AC compressor inside the panel so I can monitor the amount of energy they use, and so I can create webCoRE rules based off those energy readings, such as ‘the dryer load has started’ and ‘the dryer load has finished’, etc. Basically all I am looking for is just for the ‘cost’ field to be accurate with the amount of energy used versus the price per kw entered.

I should clarify. When I say ‘and on’, I don’t mean a single clamp, I mean an entire separate energy monitor unit with 2 clamps, one over each lead to the breaker.

So you have 3 meters?

I currently have 4, with one more on the way to monitor the dishwasher. 2 on main panel feeds, one on the dryer, one on the AC compressor.

Okay the one that is on main cables on the main panel should work fine with the handler I send to you.

The ones that are on devices should couse diferences on calculating cost.

Those meters are version 2 righ?

How you connect the meter om the a device. You see volt, watts, amp, L1 and L2. You just need to count the kwh for the dryer for example ans multiply by the cost?

I will try to change the code on weekend to see if I can help you

This is what I have;

Awesome, thanks!

If the meters are the ones that is in the link you set. Those are if Im not wrong version 1. They use batteries?

Here is a handler for v1

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/SmartThings-Devices/master/aeon_hemv1.device.groovy

The one I edit is for version 2

Can anyone confirm that the DTH in the OP (https://github.com/SANdood/Aeon-HEM-v2) does indeed report both positive and negative power values?

I’ve recently installed a HEMv2 into my system with Solar power, and am trying out that DTH for the first time. It seems to be reporting reasonable values, but have yet to see any negative values and would have expected some during the day based on my PG&E meter’s readings.) @storageanarchy

Also, looking at the code it seems that the update rates actually sent during configuration are hard-coded instead of using the user input values? (Sorry if I misread the code, I’m a largely groovy ignorant HW guy.)

I’m having the issue of too frequent reporting (~6sec) discussed much earlier in this thread, and the resolution to that wasn’t entirely clear to me. But again looking at the code the user input values seem to be ignored. Thanks -

Can now answer my own question - negative values are not supported by the version of the DTH I am using.

Looking for advice. Would this be a feasible option to let me know when my air conditioner safety float switch has turned off power to the unit? It’s a 24v circuit and the switch is normally closed. When it floats due to too much water in the drain pipe, it opens the circuit. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing until I notice the air hasn’t been running for a while, so I am trying to figure out a way to get notified of the power state. I came across this, and it looks awesome for other applications, but I’m not sure if it is overkill for what I’m looking to do.

It would be awesome if someone developed a smart safety float switch that integrated with smartthings!

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Those things usually work by breaking the 24 VAC C (common) circuit from the thermostat, so that the unit doesn’t see the call for cooling from the stat. You would need to recognize that the 24 VAC circuit is open. This power monitor is unlikely to be able to measure the 24V circuit, plus you would need to know when the thermostat was actually calling for cooling (and energizing the circuit).

You might be able to hack a MiMo Lite or a Fibaro contact sensor to recognize when the circuit is open - I think I saw someone discuss that in the forums a while back.

Good luck!

.1. leak sensor at the right height, will tell you when the water is too high. The direct approach.

.2. power log can tell you when the fan is off for a long time. A long-running chart helps but it takes some extended setup, at least in my case. Doesn’t work too well if the house is occupied with a lot of changing loads .

.3. any temperature sensor in the duct, will tell you if the HVAC is cooling or heating.

.4. I like current status switches like Functional Devices RIBXKTF wired to contact sensor like Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW097 Dry Contact Sensor

I like your idea for the MiMo Lite. That’s basically something I am looking for, so I can get alerted when the circuit is open. If I was smarter, I would make one of those float switches that integrates into home automation! Thank you for your input.

I have a leak sensor and can monitor if the fan is off for a long time. My nest can tell me if it’s heating or cooling, but your approach with that sensor seems more for monitoring if it is properly heating or cooling vs just blowing air. The only downside with what I already have is it doesn’t let me know if the circuit opens, so it will be hours before I may know and the temperature has gone up. There are some days the fan and air won’t be on most of the day because it’s cooler outside, so I have to watch for any false positives when the unit is operating properly. I will have to look at the sensors you mentioned. Thank you for the suggestions.

Looks like the MiMo Lite will be perfect. The video you sent actually discusses a float switch and running it through the relay sensor so if it floats it’ll trigger an action. I’ll have to pick one of those up and test it. Thank you again for the recommendation!