ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

I just checked Bestbuy and they have the hub for $439. Still $39 more expensive than the BF deal, which is $400.

I am on the fence about purchasing this ADT/Smartthings home security system.
I wonder if anyone can confirm that this system allows the use of duress code. TIA

@Scott_Purkey, got my new panel into day and the cellular radio immediately connected. No issues testing this time around. stronger cell signal, too.

I also had rogue devices the first time around. These were devices I had added then removed, and lingered, so I was unable to get through the initial test. I had to go into my SmartThings online account https://graph.api.smartthings.com/, and I was able to remove the rogue devices from there. I rebooted the system from the online account too. Don’t know why there isn’t anything in the app to reboot the panel or on the panel, because I’ve found that rebooting does help if you are having buggy issues. Rebooting at the panel means you are disconnecting power and the battery, which is not user friendly.

@aubie, what do you mean duress code? ADT requires your security password.

I mean the alarm duress code. This code is entered on the keypad, sending a
silent signal to the monitoring station of the system provider. This does
not disable the system. But to your captor, you’re simply obeying his
command to disable the system. He may not even know there’s even a such
thing as an alarm duress code, and thus won’t have a clue what you’re
really doing. ADT has this service for their regular plans.

1 Like

I had this option on my previous alarm system, but I have not seen a way to do it on the new ADT/ST system. There is a panic button on the panel, but it is very prominent as to what it is.

2 Likes

A duress code is a second password for your system. When you enter it, the system will disarm locally, but an emergency distress alert is sent to the monitoring center to let them know that you were forced to disarm it by intruders. They will not phone you to confirm this, but they will notify authorities. Banks have similar systems.

The use of duress codes has become more popular with residential security systems in the last five years as people became more concerned about home invasions.

As was mentioned, most of the regular professionally – installed ADT systems do have a duress code option now.

http://www.adtpulse.com/6.7.2/en_US/Advanced/Content/WebPortal/Managing_Access_Codes.htm

Some of the low-cost self – installed systems like simplisafe, also offer a duress code option

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a trick to getting an ADT/ST key fob to properly register during the “test” phase? I have tried using it to arm/disarm multiple times when in the testing mode, but the little check mark never appears and I have to cancel the test.

Is there a way to disarm the alarm when someone unlocks a smart lock like a Schlage connect?

This can be done via webCoRE. I have mine set to arm/disarm based on mode.

Anyway to do this without webcore?

I’m being presumptuous, but @RBoy could probably add it to his Lock Manager DH/SmartApps? But remember that all SmartApp control of ADT armed state is an unofficial hack and could be disabled by SmartThings at any time!

2 Likes

Thank you for the confirmation.

If I understand correctly, I can choose to subscribe/unsubscribe the ADT monitoring service on a monthly basis, is it correct? I have two very territory dogs (GSD) at home and probably don’t need the monitoring service. However, we may need the ADT monitoring service when we are out of town. So could I just turn on the service for a month if we are going to be out of town? Thank you!

You are correct! ADT did give a small discount when I agreed to pay for 6 months, but I had the option to only do one month.

2 Likes

@Jorge_Rivera @tgauchat
We’ve received a few requests to add that feature but like you said the concern is that it can be disabled or changed at anytime without prior notice. We may include that in the next release as a test bed to see user feedback.

1 Like

@Dallas I seem to remember I had the same issue. I beleive I had to activate the Panic alarm for it to register. You have to push too buttons at once to activate the panic. I originally kept trying to push in the middle where it says panic which is not a button.You have to hold them down until you see the panel gets the signal.
Scott

1 Like

I wish there was!! Smartthings tech support says its because ADT had many approval agencies that wont allow 3rd part or automated disarm function

Shhhh… Perhaps if this kept on the down-low, then SmartThings won’t slam shut the back-door! :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Thanks, Scott! That did it!

1 Like