ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

Mavrrick58
If i have my system armed from the ADT HUB i cannot disarm it from my phone (but will still get alerts when something is triggered} and when i arm it from my phone it is not armed on the hub… What am i doing wrong that they are not syncing?

So the arming and disarming of the system should be possible from your phone without ADT Tools. When you inatall the hub you should have a dashboard in smartthings for the alarm panel. If you have been doing anything with different locations make sure you are on the righr location in smartthings that has has your ADT hub associated with it.

Thanks @Mavrrick58 ! I must not have set it up correctly when i installed it somehow. I did a factory reset of the hub and now it is working. I have everything working how I’d like it except for the Indoor siren. But hopefully ADT/ST will come out with a siren in the future i can add to it. I have a Halo Plus smoke/CO detector i used with Iris. I know Halo went under and will no longer offer updates but was still able to pair it for alerts with Iris. I see on the Classic ST app it still shows Halo Plus under devices i can add but when i go to pairing instructions the page is no longer on Smartthings support page and comes up invalid. I wonder if i can still pair it for non alarm notifications under ST as i did with Iris?

I have the v3 pro hubs and am considering adding the adt smartthings hub and dual branded door/window sensors and maybe the smoke and or CO alarms in order to integrate monitored alarm service. I would also like to use the smartthings mesh(seperate from the monitored ADT) for cameras, motion, lights, doorlocks and thermostat/smartvent. I only have some lights and switches in the network as of now with the smartthings presence fob supposedly set to trigger an exterior light after dark(which works intermittently).
My questions:
MAIN QUESTION: What is the best resource for how to approach the setup and automation? Can the ADT monitored entry sensors trigger non monitored events such as:

1. Open door with alarm armed, turn on (non monitored) lights and cameras and record with SHM as well as action that is set up in the ADT panel.
  2. Open the same door with alarm off after sunset: lights only.
  3. When using ADT remote to disarm within certain proximity, unlock nearest door if lock is connected through non ADT hub.
    Thank you,

I don’t know if you resolved this but I’ve had a similar thing happen by when trying to add a sensor and it freezes up during pairing. The ADT hub would never go back into pairing mode when I tried to restart the pairing so after trying pretty much everything you said above I had to actually do a full reboot on the ADT hub itself by disconnecting the main power and the backup battery. It’s the only way I have found to fix it so far. It’s super annoying but worked for me.

1 Like

This looks ominous:

1 Like

Can I get the motion sensors to trigger when in Stay mode?
I would like all my door sensors and some of my motion sensors to be secures when in stay mode. (can I bypass some motion sensors from the app?)
any way around that through webcore?

Do ADT/Smartthings devices, i.e. contacts, motion, smoke, CO and leak sensors use zwave or Zegbee?

Neither. Proprietary 900 MHz.

1 Like

That isn’t true for all of them. The water sensor uses zigbee. I am certain the door/ window and motion sensors use the proprietary 900mhz band. Not sure about the carbon monoxide and smoke detector though.

3 Likes

Yeah, the water sensor is zigbee. Samsung site says all the others are 900 MHz.

Finally got mine set up and now I can’t find the door/window sensors for purchase anywhere? Kicking myself for not grabbing a bunch when they were cheap at best buy.

So, I’m going to try the ADT ST route and see how it goes. I’ve had my v2 hub setup for a long time and am mostly happy with it. Can any of you offer advice on moving from ST to ADT ST with regards to steps to make it as smooth as possible? Do I need to completely delete my ST Hub from the ST apps (classic and new) before bringing the ADT ST hub online? I know I’m going to lose everything, and I’ve been mentally preparing myself for the long road of rebuilding all the custom apps, virtual switches, etc. that I’ve come to rely on over the years. Thanks for any and all advice on a smooth migration (lessons learned, etc.) from ST to ADT ST.

Yes - you have to rebuild everything.

At this point, I would not bother.

The ADT Hub is deprecated and no longer a good investment if you already have a working SmartThings environment.

1 Like

While it certainly looks that way based on the lack of FW updates, I haven’t seen any official announcement from @SmartThings to that affect and their website still lists it:
https://www.smartthings.com/us/products/smartthings-adt-home-security-starter-kit
Care to share a source for your statement?

1 Like

Samsung no longer sells it and the section for it on the Samsung site disappeared a while ago

1 Like

I went the ADT/ST hub route when everything was at near giveaway prices when IRIS first folded (around Feb) and I have been extremely happy with my system (self monitored). I invested a few hundred dollars (after my IRIS refund) and have every first floor door/window monitored, every room with smoke and CO detectors, and motion sensors automating my lights everywhere. I use ADT Tools for automated or remote arm and disarm of alarm (among many other features). I was lucky enough to come in when I didn’t have anything ST and started from the ground up with ADT sensors. If you are wanting to switch just your hub and use your current non-ADT devices in a self monitoring situation with ADT Tools I think you will like the alarm features it adds. If you want to do ADT monitoring and need to repurchase ADT door/window sensors etc - I would advise against it as ADT door/window sensors are near impossible to find and if you do they are way inflated in price (other items are still not bad yet). I have enjoyed building the ADT system and have a much more sophisticated setup than I had with IRIS, and the community support on here has been great!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My family and people who look after our house from time to time need a keypad and we even want monitoring, so I’ve invested in all the cheap priced ADT ST stuff I could find. I’m not going to need that many door sensors as I prefer motion anyway. (ADT/ST motion sensor is $8 on Amazon right now) I’ll have a couple of monitored smoke and CO and the rest will make noise and ping my phone as before hopefully. I love all my ST stuff, but the geofence capabilities are spotty due to poor cell reception at our new home and the presence sensors have let me down too often as well (plus the battery longevity is a joke). I need an actual security system and ST never delivered on that original promise. So, I’m going to jump in and see how I go. I’m really hoping that I’ll be able to do all the ST stuff I had going before with my existing sensors/lights/switches/camera/dimmers/Fire/CO/leak sensors knowing all the old sensors will be “unmonitored” and just pinging me directly as before. I can accept that as there are no other acceptable options for me at this time.
Thanks again for taking the time to chime in and although I too believe this product is all but EOL, I’m going to give it a shot.

You wont lose any capabilities. Even with it seemingly being EOL it is still a great system. I have had mine for over a year now and havent had any issues. With a little bit of creativity you can integrate everything with the ADT side. I would agree with Terry though… I wouldn’t buy it now, but if you already have it then it is worth using.

2 Likes

Simply reading between the lines.

Some stuff is just obvious. The deep, deep, deep discounts were either inventory clearing or a desperate attempt to grasp ground.

Meanwhile ADT does not promote the product at all, so it’s a very weak partnership at best. They have a conflict of interest with competing products.

Won’t last.