ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

Any info on what the touchscreen hub UI can do? I haven’t come across anything except for the screenshots. Is there a numeric keypad for disarming? Can it run ST routines, dim lights in various rooms, etc?

It looks exactly like a 2gig GC3, UI included so it’s probably a whitelabel with some modifications. I’d say look at the videos of that panel on youtube to see its functionality for the alarm part. Unsure what they added on the ST functionality, but it probably all goes in the Smart Home Controls section and expects you to use the ST app for advanced stuff.

Considering the cost of the panel normally (the bundles are around 500 for the 2gig), the 50 bucks extra for the embedded ST seems nice. I just wish they’d have a way to migrate between boxes by now, I don’t wanna deal with moving 55 sensors and devices over…

Also, no glass break sensors or secondary touchscreen? Shame.

1 Like

This “at this time” can mean all kinds of things…

2 Likes

I’d say you are right! SmartThings branded:

2GIG branded:

They have an app to teach you how to use it, it is pretty nice :slight_smile:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.qtproject.example.dashboard

Even a topic on the ST community, I’ll post some questions about it there…

1 Like

Some things will be the same, but some things may be very different. Nortek is the parent company for 2gig and Linear and they use identical cases for many different models. But the network protocols, the firmware, and the software inside can all be very different. This isn’t just a white label rebranding. So I wouldn’t make assumptions about what the new SmartThings product can do based on what a similar looking 2gig product can do. Let’s wait until we see some screenshots for the new product and then we’ll know more. :sunglasses:

@kevin

The panel itself is a 2GIG GC3, but there is an additional ZigBee and Z-Wave radio with custom software supporting the SmartThings features. In other words, you can’t buy a 2GiG GC3 and have it work like a SmartThings/ADT panel.

5 Likes

In addition, the GC3 uses a one-way 345mhz radio for the security sensors. The ADT/ST version uses a newly designed encrypted two-way 900Mhz radio for the security sensors.

1 Like

Will you be able to control lights and things from the panel, or just the security side?

1 Like

I’m making an assumption here, but I am assuming that you will be able to arm/disarm the system from the panel even if the Internet is out.

What about using the phone app? If you are home with your phone connected to your local Wi-Fi, will you be able to arm/disarm the system from your phone if the Internet is out? Or is that still a cloud connection?

So, I am confused about the whole optional deal with this product. I just want to buy the product and not pay a monthly fee, just use it for self monitoring, is this going to be possible?

Yes that’s possible. But without the optional central monitoring, it seems like you’d mostly be getting a very expensive ST hub without much in the way of additional features.

It has a built-in siren.

And perhaps it will support entry and exit delays by using a touchscreen keypad for arming/disarming. Currently that’s not possible with ST unless you add custom code created by community developers.

It’s also unclear if “cellular backup” for notifications would be supported with self-monitoring or central monitoring only.

You need the new security protocol sensors and central monitoring to really distinguish it from what ST currently offers, from what I can tell.

2 Likes

Samsung says camera support will be coming.

There is no lock-in on the $24.99 price, you can start and stop service on a monthly basis. The reason for the lock-in on their professional installation is because of the high up-front costs they bear for the equipment and installation time, so they need to have a multi-year contract to recoup that investment. With this you are making the upfront investment of equipment and installation effort, so there’s no upfront investment which ADT needs to recoup via the monthly service fee. You might also find their customer service has improved - they were acquired last year and got a new CEO / executive team which has focused on improving customer service.

1 Like

Right after the hub V2 migration tool and enabling the Bluetooth radio? Just sayin’… :wink:

These days I only buy devices based on what they can actually do now, not what they say they’re planning to provide. But that’s just me. :sunglasses:

10 Likes

You also get battery backup (24-hour). The whole SmartThings / ADT solution is designed to provide a similar level of security as a professionally-installed system, but without the ongoing term contract requirements which professionally-installed systems generally include. This solution includes battery backup, cellular modem (when using ADT monitoring), and is fully UL listed, which many first-responders (including most fire response agencies) require in order to enable central-station monitoring and also may qualify you for homeowners insurance discounts depending on your insurance provider.

Simplisafe is not UL certified (see http://www.securitysales.com/fire-intrusion/simplisafe_diy_security_system_investigation_yields_disturbing_results/), nor is Ring to my knowledge.

1 Like

I feel like this is actually a good move by ST even if it’s just to quiet the complaints from folks trying to use ST as a real security system. There’s a reason why some things cost money.

3 Likes

Yes, but @Visual_Basic was asking about using it without the central monitoring.

The v2 hub has a battery backup, I’m not sure how long it’s meant to last though. I still use a v1 hub.

1 Like

The Samsung SmartThings Hub (Hub v2) comes with 4 AA batteries. Once installed, these act as a battery backup that is expected to last up to 10 hours.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200889574-How-long-do-the-batteries-last-on-my-SmartThings-

Haven’t seen the specs on the new security system yet.

2 Likes

Well technically, the ADT hub thing would be worth it just based on the battery backup, local processing and the fact that it’s expected to be more reliable.

When you think about it, the last thing ADT (or anybody) would want is to have mis-reported events where a door / window / motion sensor fails to report. So – and this is just a guess – the new “security” devices with all the newfangled encryption and all the other stuffs should be significantly more reliable than the current batch of “regular” devices.

So worst case you would get the new kit, “migrate” your stuff over and maybe pay for the first month to activate the whole thing, and in return you get (supposedly) bulletproof sensors.

If you have a V1 hub and very few sensors that’s a no-brainer IMO.

If you have a V2 hub and / or don’t have reliability issues, or you already have a ton of stuff, that’s a much tougher sale.

We don’t know yet whether the new “local processing” will apply to anything except the new ADT sensors, though, right?

I think it’s pretty clear that the stuff that will come in the starter kit for the new ATT/smartthings security panel should be more reliable as far as notifying the ADT monitoring service. But I don’t think we know yet whether they’re using the same cloud platform as V2 for all the other stuff that isn’t branded ADT. Or for any of the home automation rules.

3 Likes